Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cayenne E-Hybrid Questions (Potentially Buying vs S or GTS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 07:22 PM
pitrow
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne E-Hybrid Questions (Potentially Buying vs S or GTS)

Hi all.
I'm in the market for a '17 Cayenne (S, S E-Hybrid, or GTS). Have opted for a '17 for the extra year of warranty over a '16 as well as CarPlay integration. I would prefer a GTS, but of course wife is happier with the price tag on an S or an S E-Hybrid. She has a '13 Panamera S-Hybrid and loves it (non plug-in version). This will be my first Porsche (she does let me drive hers sometimes ) and had some questions around those of you with the newer Cayenne hybrid I'm hoping you can help me out with as my knowledge is a bit better with the S and GTS trims and options.
  1. In general, are you happy with the hybrid and would you purchase again, or any reason you might opt for the S or GTS in my position?
  2. When the battery isn't charged, do you feel like you have enough power, or is it similar to the base model which I felt was a bit underwhelming to drive?
  3. Is the gas mileage that much better? Trying to gauge how much that's worth giving up performance of the other models I'm considering, or if there really isn't much of a performance sacrifice.
  4. In terms of the battery/charging, when I'm looking up VINs for original build sheets, I'm seeing many with or without these two options. How crucial/important are these?
    • KB2 7.2 kW Onboard Charger
      • I understand this is for faster charging, is this something I can add after the fact if it wasn't included on the original build?
    • NJ1 Porsche Charging Dock for the Porsche Universal Charger (AC)
      • I believe this is the charging station you use to plug in every night. I would've thought every E-Hybrid came with one of these, but if not, how do you charge it at home? It seems like a spendy item to buy after as well.
I have gone to a couple dealers to test drive the hybrid, but they never have them charged up so I don't feel like I'm getting a full picture on performance.
Appreciate any and all input.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:22 PM
3Pedals_6Speeds
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bummed to see you haven't found an answer. I'm in the exact same mode, and and had all the same questions. Found your thread through search before asking them myself, but sad nobody has been able to help yet.....
Old 07-13-2019, 07:53 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 163 Posts

In my opinion, the GTS is best looking Cayenne and has incredible performance. My wife has a 14 (CPO) Panamera S e-hybrid, and we have had some issues. We bought the vehicle when it was a year old with 10,000 miles. A few too many trips to the dealer for repairs on the hybrid system. Based on my experience, I wouldn't buy a hybrid at all. I ended up buying a diesel Cayenne. I wanted a 15 or later CPO. I wasn't willing to spend the GTS prices. Also, I like the torque along with the fuel efficiency and diesel warranty plus CPO.

If we had to do it over again, I woudn't buy the S e-hybrid. The dealer also told me the cost of repairs on the hybrid system when out of warranty. Again...if it's me, I would buy an S or a GTS.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:35 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pitrow:

In another recent thread titled "New to me Cayenne purchase... V6, Diesel or Hybrid," garrett376 said the following:

While the S-Hybrid and SE-Hybrid usually has more options and more often has air suspension than a base or diesel, the hybrid is for someone that sees owning a hybrid to be the most important part of Cayenne ownership, since it's not meant to tow or go off-road, and not meant to be a DIY vehicle, and isn't a performance driving focused vehicle. You've got to want a hybrid to be fine with overlooking the Porsche experience, whether that's driving, or wrenching, or owning it long term.
For the most part, I agree with that in spite of the fact that I am a new '16 CSeH owner. While I love the idea of hybrids and know they and electrics are the future, I think the better Cayenne hybrid is the newer 2019 version with significantly more HP, torque and electric range.

The lack of factory support for a tow hitch on the '16s and '17s might be irrelevant to many but maddening for some. I am going to put one on mine and let the chips fall where they may. My opinion is that unless you really like hybrids there are better performing Cayennes that are less complex to own/maintain with fewer limitations. It does look like the '19 removes many of those limitations.

Answers to questions:

In general, are you happy with the hybrid and would you purchase again, or any reason you might opt for the S or GTS in my position?
  • As expressed above, I like hybrids and as I live in a suburb of Atlanta, there are plenty of errands that I can complete without ever engaging the engine and when driving downtown, I have all the accelerative and braking performance I need to successfully stay out of trouble given the terrible drivers here on our interstates.
When the battery isn't charged, do you feel like you have enough power, or is it similar to the base model which I felt was a bit underwhelming to drive?
  • It's a heavy SUV and with only 300 and change HP available from the engine, it does not feel particularly sporty with no electric assistance. You can manage that, however, by not letting the battery ever become fully depleted.
Is the gas mileage that much better? Trying to gauge how much that's worth giving up performance of the other models I'm considering, or if there really isn't much of a performance sacrifice.
  • It depends what you are doing. If you are driving aggressively then likely not. If you are trying to maximize mileage then you can achieve mid 30s to mid 40s MPG results.
In terms of the battery/charging, when I'm looking up VINs for original build sheets, I'm seeing many with or without these two options. How crucial/important are these?
  • I assumed that all '16s and '17s had on-board chargers but have to admit that I don't know. All of the used CSeHs that I looked at came with the Porsche vehicle connector.

Hope that helps a little...

Hank
Old 07-14-2019, 01:15 AM
waynelam83
4th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As a 17' Cayenne S E-hybrid owner(from brand new), I can share some of my thought,
1) I am very happy about the S E-hybrid performance. In fact, I am pretty sure that my next new car will be a hybrid version of 911(I know that they are in the making). My choice of S E-hybrid over S or GTS is personal, I use my Cayenne as a daily driver, and there is a significant amount of driving in the city as well as simple-point-A-to-point-B boring driving that don't need any high performance at all. Having a S E-hybrid is like having two set of transmission. I put most of my city, day-in and day-out boring driving on electric motor, as well as fun and exciting high performance highway driving on the engine during pleasure drive. That why I don't have to put all the city driving stress on to the engine. Of course, to achieve that, I have charge my cayenne whenever possible.

2) When the battery is not charged, the vehicle will sole be operating under engine power which is still slightly more powerful than 17' base model with 333hp. but then again, there are plenty of opportunity for you to charge the battery, at home, at office, some shopping malls, on high-way and even during traffic congestion.(that is my latest discovery that, when the battery is out-of-charge, the car will have to turn on the gas engine. During traffic congestion, all that power during the stop time will not be wasted under E-charge mode. it can actually charge the vehicle from 0 to 80% charged just sitting in traffic in 45 minutes. This function is not state in anywhere on the internet or even on the manual. Nobody can clearly explain the purpose of E-charge mode, except its 20% penalty from normal hybrid mpg)

3)I have my fueling record in the following site. you can judge by yourself if the mpg is good enough. In term of the gas engine power, it is GTS>S>S E-hybrd>>base model. it is my first Porsche, so, I am happy with the power. It is not a significant difference from GTS or S model. I would rather to own a powerful enough vehicle that I can control safely than an over-powered vehicle that I can't control.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/porsche/ca...nelam83/659202

4) a) I do have 7.2kw onboard charger, but I do not know if it is talking about the external charger or an integrated part with the battery. But the key for S E-hybrid is in its battery and electric power. So, opt for fastest 7.2kw onboard charger whenever possible.
b) My vehicle also come with Charging Dock. if it is not come with the vehicle, it will be a good free item when you negotiate your purchase.

5) The other thing you did not mention, but I think is very important, is resale value. Personally, I own my vehicle for a long time. I have used my last vehicle for 10 years before I got the cayenne and I still own my last vehicle. I have never thought of selling the Cayenne. Because of its hybrid nature and its difference from typical Prosche gas engine tradition, I believe it will suffer a big hit in resale department. So, depends on how long are you planning to own the vehicle, you might be able to get a bargain for this long term quality ride.

After all, 2017 Cayenne S E-hybrid is a good performance quality ride you would expect from Porsche. For me, it is the door to my ultimate dream of 918,
Old 07-16-2019, 05:30 PM
Gundo
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Also a 2017 Cayenne S E-Hybrid Owner

Where should I start - 400+ hp when battery is charged and in sport mode - it's more than fast enough.

I drive daily about 25 miles round trip. Observed mileage is 30 mpg or more

Charge every night in my garage with Porsche OEM EVSE and onboard 7.2 kWh charger

Have had zero issues mechanically - battery and drive train are flawless, if a bit jerky sometimes. Definitely not as smooth as straight ICE - especially when braking. Feels like the car has trouble modulating between actual steel brake action and regenerative braking. I've gotten pretty smooth at it, but my wife and daughter haven't mastered/

At 34k miles, full battery range is now 16 miles, sometimes less depending on previous day's driving style.

It's super comfy, handles great, is every bit a sports car and much prefer it over the 14 mpg in a standard Cayenne S.

Quick Reply: Cayenne E-Hybrid Questions (Potentially Buying vs S or GTS)