Sponsored By:

Terrible roads, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 02:56 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Terrible roads, what to do?

So I just moved to Louisiana for a great job opportunity. I didn’t know how bad the roads are over here. They are so bad it’s alarming. Everywhere I go it’s THUMP -thump, THUMP - thump, THUMP - thump.....

My Cayenne S doesn’t have air suspension and my tires are currently set at full load pressures.

Will adjusting the tire pressure down to partial load help much? What about trading Cayenne in for one with air suspension? Or, am I just SOL? We’ve been renting suvs for moving purposes and noticed the Buick Enclave was much smoother on these roads. Not going to be getting a Buick though!

I can’t wait to get my Boxster over here and really trash it. :-(

Help?

-Matt
Old 06-04-2019, 03:12 PM
projectd18
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
So I just moved to Louisiana for a great job opportunity. I didn’t know how bad the roads are over here. They are so bad it’s alarming. Everywhere I go it’s THUMP -thump, THUMP - thump, THUMP - thump.....

My Cayenne S doesn’t have air suspension and my tires are currently set at full load pressures.

Will adjusting the tire pressure down to partial load help much? What about trading Cayenne in for one with air suspension? Or, am I just SOL? We’ve been renting suvs for moving purposes and noticed the Buick Enclave was much smoother on these roads. Not going to be getting a Buick though!

I can’t wait to get my Boxster over here and really trash it. :-(

Help?

-Matt

buy some 19in wheels and do 255 55 19 tires?
Old 06-04-2019, 04:05 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

lowering the pressure should help.

what size tires are you running? I live near a construction side and trust me, that road I take some times is the worst in this country that is paved. Probably worse than some of the petrified roads too. I have 21s and air suspension and it still hurts in comfort chassis.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:43 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Originally Posted by projectd18
buy some 19in wheels and do 255 55 19 tires?
Ive got 20in RS Spyder wheels right now. Would probably be better to put the money toward a Cayenne with air suspension:-)

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
lowering the pressure should help.

what size tires are you running? I live near a construction side and trust me, that road I take some times is the worst in this country that is paved. Probably worse than some of the petrified roads too. I have 21s and air suspension and it still hurts in comfort chassis.
I’ll definitely try lowering pressure. Hopefully that makes enough difference for me as trading in for a Cayenne with air suspension won’t be cheap :-(

How much difference does comfort feel vs sport? I imagine my non air Cayenne is basically like sport for you?

-Matt
Old 06-05-2019, 12:16 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Your non air is probably in between comfort and normal. Sport for me is quite harsh.

And with my GTS, it may be that my comfort is your standard suspension and comfort in say a turbo or S equipped with air is even more comfortable.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:57 PM
zamorskii
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There's absolutely no reason to run your tires at the max load listed. Lower it to around 32F 36R and you should see improvement. Also softer tires with more sidewall will be a good option in your case.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:40 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

A smaller diameter rim as well as a meatier tire will help in this case. If you can't get rid of your 20's then look into a higher profile tire.

I'd be against lowering tire pressures too much as you're going to induce more sidewall flex. If you hit a pothole just right you're looking at a bent rim.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:54 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Originally Posted by BrewDude
A smaller diameter rim as well as a meatier tire will help in this case. If you can't get rid of your 20's then look into a higher profile tire.

I'd be against lowering tire pressures too much as you're going to induce more sidewall flex. If you hit a pothole just right you're looking at a bent rim.
I’ve got summer tires on it right now and will eventually need some all seasons later as it does get cold enough to worry me. Any good all seasons that may help with the clackity clack?

Id air suspension isn’t that much of an improvement, I may just have to learn to live with it. Man it’s annoying! I’m guessing my suspension will need more maintenance than usual?
Old 06-05-2019, 05:17 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

buy an american suv engineered for the local roads :P
Old 06-05-2019, 05:24 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

I’ve got summer tires on it right now and will eventually need some all seasons later as it does get cold enough to worry me. Any good all seasons that may help with the clackity clack?
Cold? In Louisiana?

You can get away with summer tires year round there.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:29 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Originally Posted by BrewDude
Cold? In Louisiana?

You can get away with summer tires year round there.
Same as north Florida, where I’m from, always a few days a year that don’t get out of the 40s. Just low enough to worry me.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:38 PM
bukit
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

I drove through Louisiana years ago and I was appalled by the condition of the roads. I live in Georgia and have a 2017 GTS with air suspension and 21" wheels. I run the partial load air pressure of 35F and 38R. the ride is much rougher than my 2015 Macan Turbo with 20" wheels. The Macan also had air suspension. I'm seriously considering 20" wheels.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:49 PM
Mark7000
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Drop the tire pressure. Putting them at max load when you are at a light load is not needed at all.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:59 AM
zamorskii
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

.... Any good all seasons that may help with the clackity clack?
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires are by far the best all-season tire you can buy, if you're thinking of keeping it to one set of rims.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:43 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Originally Posted by zamorskii
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires are by far the best all-season tire you can buy, if you're thinking of keeping it to one set of rims.
Thanks, I’ll give them a look. I prefer to stick with the 20in as I really don’t want to put any money into this car. I may trade it in for a Cayenne with some more options (like air suspension) after the CPO warranty is up.

Quick Reply: Terrible roads, what to do?