Sponsored By:

Are 958 Cayenne GTS overpriced?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 08:02 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Can you give us a small review of the differences between the GTS and Turbo?
No PTV or PDCC in my GTS. Only air suspension.
Easy, my GTS is one thing that the turbo wasn’t, it’s Fun! I love the sportier/meaner looks inside and out, and the exhaust sound is absolutely insane, it feels more special to me and it's very fast too, not as fast as my turbo was, but more linear, planted and rewarding to drive.
I have a well configured 2019 Base now, what a boring car! I will sell it anytime soon and keep the GTS for sure.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:36 AM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
No PTV or PDCC in my GTS. Only air suspension.
Easy, my GTS is one thing that the turbo wasn’t, it’s Fun! I love the sportier/meaner looks inside and out, and the exhaust sound is absolutely insane, it feels more special to me and it's very fast too, not as fast as my turbo was, but more linear, planted and rewarding to drive.
I have a well configured 2019 Base now, what a boring car! I will sell it anytime soon and keep the GTS for sure.
i agree with this. I drove a 2015 turbo and mine back to back. The 2015 felt fast but not as raw or fun. And it was softer as well. The sound is intoxicating and it just has a sportier feel to it. Maybe if I had a turbo s with tune and cat bypasses but I love my gts
Old 05-04-2019, 11:07 AM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
I have had a 2011 Cayenne S, 2015 Cayenne Turbo, 2017 Macan GTS and now a low mileage 2014 Cayenne GTS and just took delivery of a 2019 Base, and the 2014 V8 GTS is the best of them all by far. I love that car to death. No other SUV drives like it, oh and the sound! Intoxicating!
You really like Cayennes, huh?
Old 05-04-2019, 11:27 AM
TV911
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
i agree with this. I drove a 2015 turbo and mine back to back. The 2015 felt fast but not as raw or fun. And it was softer as well. The sound is intoxicating and it just has a sportier feel to it. Maybe if I had a turbo s with tune and cat bypasses but I love my gts
Interesting! Of course a Turbo has a different exhaust manifold, using exhaust to drive the Turbos and boost intake pressure. But I can assure you that with a few minor mods, the Turbo becomes very raw and very sporty. My wife isn't happy that it roars when we start it, and growls and rumbles so noticeably, but the Tubi exhaust (and other mods) have unleashed the beast in terms of responsiveness and raw performance. I haven't put my new CTT on a dyno, but from what I've read the chip + throttle body + exhaust can take the Turbo from 500 to over 600 HP.
Here's an example of the sound...
Old 05-04-2019, 11:51 AM
Galion
Pro

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
You really like Cayennes, huh?
I like Porsches, don’t ask me about 911’s
Wife prefers Mercedes GLE though.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:17 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had the 955 Turbo S, 957 GTS, 958.1 S, 958.1 Turbo and now the new 2019 Turbo.

As you can see from my purchase history I never went back to the GTS. The Turbo can do almost everything the GTS can do. Put the PASM in Sport, air suspension on low and if you have the PDCC and PTV it will handle as well as the GTS and kick its butt coming out of the bend.

I always thought the GTS engine felt like it needed to work harder to get into that "fun" zone. If it was my money it would be between the Diesel or the Turbo.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:27 AM
Galion
Pro

It all depends on what you are aiming for , I’d go for the Turbo if you want a comfortable and very powerful Cayenne that is faster than most sports cars out there.
If you want a Cayenne that drives like a sports car, with instant throttle response and insane sound, then get a V8 GTS.
The GTS is a raw vehicule, and it is not as comfortable and fast as the Turbo, but it’s a fun ride, different kind of fun I guess...

Last edited by Galion; 05-05-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:26 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

Originally Posted by TV911
Interesting! Of course a Turbo has a different exhaust manifold, using exhaust to drive the Turbos and boost intake pressure. But I can assure you that with a few minor mods, the Turbo becomes very raw and very sporty. My wife isn't happy that it roars when we start it, and growls and rumbles so noticeably, but the Tubi exhaust (and other mods) have unleashed the beast in terms of responsiveness and raw performance. I haven't put my new CTT on a dyno, but from what I've read the chip + throttle body + exhaust can take the Turbo from 500 to over 600 HP.
Here's an example of the sound... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlao4ZXpO6g
I purchased the Tubi cat back from my Cayenne Turbo and took it off in less than a week. It ruined the car and made it feel like a chevy pickup truck with a flow master. i hated it and actually lost power.

Sold it and went back to stock and realized at that moment, that Porsche engineers did their homework when it comes to this car. Stock on these cars is best.

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 05-07-2019 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:44 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

I purchased the Tubi cat back from my Cayenne Turbo and took it off in less than a week. It ruined the car and made it feel like a chevy pickup truck with a flow master. i hated it and actually lost power.

Sold it and went back to stock and realized at that moment, that Porsche engineers did their homework when itches to this car. Stock in these cars is best.
Hahahaha.... I don't know how many times over my decades of performance/enthusiast ownership I've been disappointed by some aftermarket hype as well. Sometimes it works out, but often times it doesn't. These days I just prefer my performance OEM style.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:14 PM
sjt0017
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sold it and went back to stock and realized at that moment, that Porsche engineers did their homework when itches to this car. Stock in these cars is best.
I felt like my Fabspeed exhaust on my last CTT slowed the truck down a bit too! So, on my newest CTT I bought the full Milltek cat bypass & exhaust because it was a FULL exhaust replacement and not just the bypass + OEM mid pipe + axle back mufflers. It replaced the back 10 feet of exhaust and is 70mm, where all the other companies' exhausts are actually smaller piping than OEM. Without any other modifications, it made a very noticeable difference in power/throttle response and sounds fantastic - like many feel about their GTS, but with a little spool mixed in .
I'm on my 3rd CTT now, personally I couldn't imagine owning & daily driving anything with less power after owning CTT's.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:31 PM
TV911
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Some guys in this thread were saying they prefer the sound of the GTS to the Turbo. My point is that if that is an issue, you can improve the sound. If you want a deeper growl, you can get an aftermarket exhaust. The manufacturers promise modest power gains (like 10 HP) from the reduced back pressure. If you really want more power, you need to do a full tune. I don't know all the details of what was done to the CTT I bought, as the used car dealer I bought it from didn't know (they bought it from an auction), but the pre-purchase inspection revealed the Tubi exhaust, an aftermarket throttle body and a kit to flash a new program into the engine control computer.

That being said, I agree that the Tubi is borderline obnoxious. Tubi says 'Aside from the impressive aesthetics and power gains, the sound of the Tubi system is simply amazing. It produces a deep growl combined with an aggressive tone, but remains completely drivable and won’t offend your neighbors.' I don't know... I think it's a bit over the line. It does remind me of my old buddies who put flowmasters on their pickup trucks in the 70's. I'd like to be able to come and go from my densely packed neighborhood more discretely. I don't want to look and sound like I'm compensating for something.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:07 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

In response to the original question posed in this thread...... ALL Cayennes are overpriced to be honest!! But we still purchase and love them.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:31 PM
Mobius1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I'm late to this thread but +1 for the GTS. I have a 2014 GTS and I love it and prefer it over the Turbo. As a pre-owned SUV frankly I think it's one of the strongest values on the market.

I know @DAVfoto and I have similar tastes when it comes to cars ha, I agree with pretty much everything he said about the GTS.

With the standard body kit on the GTS it looks A LOT better than a S. I don't even think it's close to be honest. I also think it looks meaner than the Turbo. The 2014 GTS also looks better than the current Cayenne to me. It looks meaner and lower the ground. Almost a cross in height between an SUV and Sports Wagon in GTS form. Not to mention it sounds absolutely fantastic (although a small part of me still wants to put a rear unit Akrapovic exhaust on it but we'll see...). I use my GTS as a daily and it feels special every time I walk up to it and turn on the ignition. The Turbo didn't evoke that same emotion when I drove it, despite it being very fast indeed.

While pricing on the GTS models are similar to the Turbo (despite the Turbo having a higher sticker price), the GTS models have held their value better. That's because it is a bit less common (at least from what I can see) and the GTS is considered the "enthusiast's" Cayenne.

...and I don't off-road my GTS so that's not too much of a concern for me!
The following users liked this post:
Galion (06-23-2020)

Quick Reply: Are 958 Cayenne GTS overpriced?