Sponsored By:

"Key not recognized" + KESSY problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 02:35 PM
normfly
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Wasmer
Well mine is back. Went about a week and a half. PWIZ at the dealership shows nothing. Very frustrating.
Well, I just brought my 2011 CTT with 95k miles to the local shop (not a dealer) and they pulled the error codes - code shows something to do with a sensor and its logic in the trunk area. They will run some research with their Porsche tech contacts and get back to me for an appointment next week. I'll post when I get the next set of diagnoses. Note: no Porsche dealership available to me within an 8 hours drive. Ugh, one car couple. (But gonna get a Q3 so the wife doesn't have to deal with any of the ongoing CTT shenanigans.)
Old 09-06-2019, 02:42 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Very interested to hear what they find.

Mine has settled down to a warning every so often.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:18 PM
normfly
Cruisin'

Update (October 2019): went to auto shop who pulled data from the car and in doing so, cleared the system, and the Key Not Recognized error message ceased - for a couple weeks. But now it's back. With a vengeance. Brought car back to shop to pull data again and the following came up in the results (along with other stuff of course):
Rear module 020007: "1 Fault = C11006" which the shop says requires software update from a Porsche dealer because the car is "in partial anti-theft mode" (the shop's words, not mine). That closest dealership is Spokane WA, about 6 hours drive. Have a service appointment scheduled for Oct 21 (2 weeks time). I think I'll lose my mind well before then however with the persistent and constant error message ringing.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:54 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Dude

i hear you. this is some great information. AND makes sense . I am passing this on to my guys that are trying to figure out my issue. At this rate with the errors my hair will look like Bernie Sanders!!!
Old 10-06-2019, 10:55 PM
normfly
Cruisin'

Tim,
I shot you a note here in Rennlist with direct contact info. Check your InBox here.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:33 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Replied. This HAS to be a known issue. New keys, Cell phone, etc. etc. Nothing playing out. And 45 plus errors on the way to work will drive you batty.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:48 PM
kvec
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Wasmer
Replied. This HAS to be a known issue. New keys, Cell phone, etc. etc. Nothing playing out. And 45 plus errors on the way to work will drive you batty.
Tim - If you hook up iCarScan to it and do a live data stream of the locking system, you can see what buttons are being pressed. That's almost guaranteed what's happening. Likely a short in one of the handles. It won't throw a code, it'll just think the car is trying to lock itself while you're driving it. Read through how I diagnosed mine early in the thread.

Ken
Old 10-11-2019, 04:12 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

I just got the Launch system. Need to figure it out and give it a try.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:10 PM
normfly
Cruisin'

Sitting in Porsche Spokane (6 hour drive/50% through blinding snow. Ahh, Autumn in Montana.) Mystery solved, but not the solution to the problem, yet. Tech @ dealer says the rear passenger door handle beneath the rubber housing is corroded. Tried to dry it out and play around with it to no avail. Going to try and simply disconnect the wiring inside the door frame and see if that's a fix ... Sound familiar kvec? : ) If that solves it, I'll let you guys know.

UPDATE: That worked (so far). Car can be locked, but the disconnected door handle won't actually lock. And if someone does open that unlocked door while the car is locked, the alarm will still activate. So, no harm, no foul on disconnecting the door handle. I can order a new handle, but highly doubt that I will. BTW: Bozeman-Spokane-Bozeman made for quite a day.

Last edited by normfly; 10-22-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:58 AM
Franko T
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 80 Posts

Hello All, I just got a 2011 Turbo with exact same problem. Key Not Recognized randomly. It is driving me mad!
- Changed battery 3 times on the remote and even put paper behind the battery in case it was not making contact, Nop
- Tried running with key in ignition, Nop

It must be the door handles, which one I am not sure, but I don't mind disabling the button on every single one if possible.

Question; How do you get access to the button to disable it? I see two small screws on the side of the handle
Thanks!
Old 10-28-2019, 11:40 AM
normfly
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Franko T
Hello All, I just got a 2011 Turbo with exact same problem. Key Not Recognized randomly. It is driving me mad!
Sounds like "kvec" could answer that. The issue as I understand it could be corrosion inside the handle, specifically the parts that control KESSY. Simply put, the car thinks someone is pressing the rubbery KESSY button constantly. The controls are underneath the rubber protected button located at about thumb print on the door handle. My guys at the dealership went into the door panel, disconnected the wiring of that particular handle. Which door handle(s) exactly shows up in the diagnostics tool analysis. The affected door no longer locks for me, BUT, the alarm will still go off if that door is opened while the car is alarmed. So .. no harm, no foul IMHO (based on where I live.)
Old 10-28-2019, 11:57 AM
brousfh
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

- Changed battery 3 times on the remote and even put paper behind the battery in case it was not making contact, Nop
- Tried running with key in ignition, Nop

It must be the door handles, which one I am not sure, but I don't mind disabling the button on every single one if possible.

Question; How do you get access to the button to disable it? I see two small screws on the side of the handle
Thanks!
I've had the two front door handles replaced under warranty for the same "Key Not Recognized" warning, has since ran out of warranty and the two rear door locking buttons began to give the same warning. Removed the rear door handles, disconnected the wiring harness, on the door handle side, traced the wire that is connected to the #3 pin(green wire), cut this wire and coated with liquid tape. Reattached wiring harness and reinstalled the door handles. This stopped the warning light and still allows the door to be unlocked when fob is in the vicinity. I did not need to lock the vehicle with the rear door buttons, so it wasn't a big deal to live with. Last month the driver's door locking button became inoperable, and recently it started throwing a "Key Not Recognized" warning, pulled it off and did the same, I just need to use the fob to lock the vehicle until I decide to replace with a new door handle. Hope this helps......
Old 10-28-2019, 12:17 PM
Franko T
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 80 Posts

brousfh thanks for your reply!

I would love to disable what you did it, sounds like this is a bad design and eventually every handle needs to be replaced.

Open inner door panel or can it be done from outside?

Can you please tell me HOW to gain access to this wire to disable? Is it fairly easy? I had no intention to lock the vehicle with these stupid buttons anyways.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:33 PM
brousfh
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

brousfh thanks for your reply!

I would love to disable what you did it, sounds like this is a bad design and eventually every handle needs to be replaced.

Open inner door panel or can it be done from outside?

Can you please tell me HOW to gain access to this wire to disable? Is it fairly easy? I had no intention to lock the vehicle with these stupid buttons anyways.
Franko T, first determine which locking button is causing the problem. Press each one to determine which one does not lock the vehicle, the rear door handles, fr and fl have different procedures to disassemble, they are similar, once you learn the trick for one the remainder are easier. I researched using ALLDATAdiy.com, used a 90degree pick and a set of nylon pry bars you can get at Harbor Freight. Removal of the door handle is done by opening the door to access the inside edge to remove a small rubber grommet that covers the locking mechanism. The back section of the door handle that does not lift up is internally unlatched and that back section is pulled away from the door using a nylon pry bar. The door handle once free of that back section is then pulled on and away from the door, once the handle is loose then carefully pull the wire and connection out of the door. Unplug the wire connection and you can work on the handle, look down into where the wire connection was at and locate the #3 pin, this should connect to a green wire coming from the pin, that is the wire to sever and isolate, I used liquid electrical tape. When reassembling, the door handle will need to pivot back into the door opening and latch onto the internal linkage, I used a long piece of dental floss to pull the internal pin to catch on the door handle. Long winded I know, Good Luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by brousfh:
kvec (11-03-2019), Tim Wasmer (10-28-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 05:30 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Bro

Wanted to clarify a few things before I try this. Do you have to take the door panel off? And why did you use "Liquid Electrical Tape"? Just to seat the ends of the wires that were cut?

Thanks. I am hoping this works

Quick Reply: "Key not recognized" + KESSY problems