Sponsored By:

Afttermarket air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 11:12 PM
mtb_prodigy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afttermarket air suspension

Are there any options out there for aftermarket air suspension? I only need it for the rear. Im towing about 7000lbs and the rear sags too much causing poor handling. I bought a WD hitch system but its so bulky and inconvenient.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:33 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

I've been looking around quite a bit, and there's unfortunately nothing I've found. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I. I'll be doing the Anderson WD setup I'm afraid. (Which is honestly the better way to go, but not nearly as convenient!)
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-12-2019, 04:49 PM
mcipseric
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

work on your tongue weight and get a load balancing hitch. I am at the max tow with base suspension without a problem.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:57 PM
mtb_prodigy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
I've been looking around quite a bit, and there's unfortunately nothing I've found. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I. I'll be doing the Anderson WD setup I'm afraid. (Which is honestly the better way to go, but not nearly as convenient!) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006X21B0M..._Vd9HCbZ5MXPZ5

I actually received the Anderson WD hitch right before I posted this thread. Its MASSIVE. Not sure if you're aware but the sticker on the hitch receiver says that the center of the ball cannot be more than 6.15" from the pin that keeps the hitch from sliding out. The center of the ball on the Anderson hitch is around 11-12 inches from the pin. This causes quite a bit more leverage on the hitch although the chains do alleviate some of that weight as do all WD setups. Eskimo1 I like your taste in vehicles. I also have an R6, a CD, and my favorite, the Tuono 1100.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:25 PM
mtb_prodigy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mcipseric
work on your tongue weight and get a load balancing hitch. I am at the max tow with base suspension without a problem.
My tongue weight is at 750lbs, 10% of trailered weight.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:42 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mtb_prodigy
I actually received the Anderson WD hitch right before I posted this thread. Its MASSIVE. Not sure if you're aware but the sticker on the hitch receiver says that the center of the ball cannot be more than 6.15" from the pin that keeps the hitch from sliding out. The center of the ball on the Anderson hitch is around 11-12 inches from the pin. This causes quite a bit more leverage on the hitch although the chains do alleviate some of that weight as do all WD setups. Eskimo1 I like your taste in vehicles. I also have an R6, a CD, and my favorite, the Tuono 1100.
I hear you on the 6.15" thing - it's the reason I bought the shortest drawbar I could find (The Anderson Alumastinger) for load-bearing towing.. But when you get into WD (which is "not approved" by Porsche, but the forum consensus is it's a European thing), I don't think there is a short drawbar option. My thinking is, 6.15" minimizes the lever action on the hitch which really matters in a load-bearing setup. But with WD, since you're also applying forces upward, the hitch shouldn't see as much downward weight, so you *should* be OK, as long as you always use the WD chains.

You definitely do have good taste sir, and I love the Tuono as well! I rode my friend's Tuono V4 before and oh... dear... gawd. Between the effortless (and ample!) power, the wide bars, and good suspension, it felt like a giant-sized super motard, which is still the most fun I've ever had on 2 wheels. (Totally impractical, but FUN!)

I'll be VERY interested to hear how you like the Anderson WD setup. It's on my list of things to buy to help make towing my tongue-heavy bike trailer a safer pull.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:16 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Are there any options out there for aftermarket air suspension?
Look for a pair of old vintage HighJacker air shocks on eBay... if you're lucky they'll include the all important window decal as well to show you're HighJacker-equipped!

(Man did I just date myself!)
Old 03-14-2019, 07:12 AM
paisan12
3rd Gear

Default WD

We’ve seen WD hitches actually break/bend the OEM hitch because these vehicles aren’t designed to use them. There isn’t enough distance between the rear axle and the hitch to make it effective and is detrimental to towing unfortunately.

Mike
Old 03-14-2019, 02:01 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paisan12
We’ve seen WD hitches actually break/bend the OEM hitch because these vehicles aren’t designed to use them. There isn’t enough distance between the rear axle and the hitch to make it effective and is detrimental to towing

There are numerous Touareg owners who would disagree.. There are a large number of them who use WD hitches.

That said, under what conditions have you seen WD setups bend/break the factory hitch? I'm assuming the bend is in an upward direction, or something else? Apparently you've got some valuable first-hand experience that could be useful.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:19 PM
paisan12
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
There are numerous Touareg owners who would disagree.. There are a large number of them who use WD hitches.

That said, under what conditions have you seen WD setups bend/break the factory hitch? I'm assuming the bend is in an upward direction, or something else? Apparently you've got some valuable first-hand experience that could be useful.
Actually I’m a current touareg owner (soon to be cayenne owner) and on the last gen touaregs vw doesn’t recommend the WD because the factory hitched aren’t designed for them. A few owners have had them bend when towing at or near the limits because it applies pressure to the frame and hitch in a manner it wasn’t designed for.

My guess is in an accident your insurance company may deny a claim if you are using a piece of equipment in a manner prohibited by the owners manual.

-mike
Old 03-14-2019, 03:38 PM
mtb_prodigy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Look for a pair of old vintage HighJacker air shocks on eBay... if you're lucky they'll include the all important window decal as well to show you're HighJacker-equipped!

(Man did I just date myself!)
Would the chassis have to be drilled into or are there pre-existing holes that this would work with? Im assuming drilling would void the warranty and it sounds slightly sketchy. If I could get these to work that would be awesome they're super cheap.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:19 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Would the chassis have to be drilled into or are there pre-existing holes that this would work with? Im assuming drilling would void the warranty and it sounds slightly sketchy. If I could get these to work that would be awesome they're super cheap.
My apologies......the HighJacker suggestion was just a joke. For those old enough to remember the 60s/70s musclecar days, HighJackers were a relatively cheap way to achieve the 'jacked-up' dragster look popular at the time. I don't think they're even in business anymore (?).

They were simply air shocks that bolted in place of the rear OEM ones, and you literally raised them by inflating with air from a pump like you would your tires. Talk about a stiff, awful ride!
Old 03-14-2019, 04:53 PM
mtb_prodigy
Intermediate

My apologies......the HighJacker suggestion was just a joke. For those old enough to remember the 60s/70s musclecar days, HighJackers were a relatively cheap way to achieve the 'jacked-up' dragster look popular at the time. I don't think they're even in business anymore (?).

They were simply air shocks that bolted in place of the rear OEM ones, and you literally raised them by inflating with air from a pump like you would your tires. Talk about a stiff, awful ride!
lmao yeah they're still in business.
Amazon Amazon

Gotcha, I thought it was meant to be used in addition to the stock springs.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:30 AM
paisan12
3rd Gear

Actually aftermarket air suspension helpers are still alive and well. The issue is they don’t make an application for our vehicles because we use a coilovers style rear suspension and generally the helper air bags usually reside inside the coil or leaf springs on SUVs and pickups.

-mike

Quick Reply: Afttermarket air suspension