Sponsored By:

2012 958 sport steering wheel to multi function steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 08:10 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 350 Likes on 244 Posts
Default 2012 958 sport steering wheel to multi function steering wheel

Ok, this is turning out to be more difficult than I thought. My car has the sport steering wheel and I bought a used multi function steering wheel on ebay. The used wheel is from the same year car. Neither wheel is heated. The swap was easy but the buttons don't work. I read somewhere (can't remember now) if I stayed with the same year (not trying to upgrade) the swap would be plug and play. Well.... It's not.

Has anyone made the swap successfully? What do I need to do? Do I have to replace the switch assembly behind the wheel? Right now I have a four stalk assembly. Cruise control, turn signals, wiper/washer and multi function.

With the new multi function wheel I really only need three stalks. I can eliminate the multi function stalk but it doesn't look like it is as simple as just removing the stalk and its components. It looks like all the stalks are on one common circuit board so it looks like I have to replace the whole thing.

I should have done more homework but I got lucky finding this steering wheel in my color leather and with the multi function controls.

When I get everything squared away will I need to go to the dealership for coding? Sonnen told me they didn't think it needed to be coded because they didn't have instructions for it. They thought it would be plug and play.

Argh!
​​​​
Old 02-20-2019, 08:18 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

It may help to know what year your Cayenne is, but I think I know the answer. I have done the swap a few times on a Cayenne (958.1) and on a 991.1. My goal was to add in the heat, so in all of my cases I needed a new clockspring and programming.

Now in your case you are not adding new features, but the buttons are different. I also know that there are different programming (coding) for the multi finction vs sport. So I think you will need to have it programmed at the dealer or with someone that has PIWIS.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:25 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

I fixed the title. It's a 2012. You are correct ,I am not adding or subtracting any functions. Do I need a new clock spring? One with 3 stalks?
Old 02-20-2019, 08:38 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am thinking that you do need a new clockspring. Porsche has many different clocksprings and I do remember multi function or no multi function being options in choosing a clockspring. If you had multi function, you could swap a sport wheel with no issue. It is the extra wires needed in the clockspring that yours may not have. You will definitely need coding if the clockspring is changed.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:57 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

I'm looking at the clock springs on sonnen and there are A LOT of options.
1. It looks to me like I want a combo switch not a multifunction switch right? Because the multi function will be in the wheel?
2. I can get it with or without a distance sensor. Is that part of the parking sensor system. My car has the parking system.
3. I can get it with or without radio control. My car does have a radio.
4. With or without voice recognition. I don't think my car has voice recognition so I assume I want one without.

The rest are self explanatory

Thank you for your help
Old 02-20-2019, 09:11 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think its this one you need:

Clockspring

I think Porsche uses this one for almost all options except for heated. But you may want to call Sonnen to confirm.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:17 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
I think its this one you need:

Clockspring

I think Porsche uses this one for almost all options except for heated. But you may want to call Sonnen to confirm.
Hmmm so I don't need the whole assembly? I thought I had to replace the everything. The Lever assembly AND the clear plastic piece. An assembly that has three levers not four like I have now. I talked to sonnen and they were stumped.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:19 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Would this one work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Column-Switch-Signal-Wiper-Lever-95861301300-Porsche-Cayenne-958-11-16-/302830612851
Old 02-20-2019, 09:21 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can definitely leave that 4th stalk in there. Much less in costs. But once programmed, I dont think that 4th stalk will work anymore. If its not in the way, I would just leave it there. So you dont need to change out the assembly. Just the clockspring and then coding.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:21 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

It has the exact same markings on the levers as my original. Just doesn't have the multi function Lever.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:26 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
I would stay away from used clocksprings. I do not think they can be re-coded to another car. I also am not sure what coding is needed for the stalks as these were also coded to another cayenne too.

If bought together and new from Sonnen, I am pretty certain a dealer can code it for you.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:31 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE

I would stay away from used clocksprings. I do not think they can be re-coded to another car. I also am not sure what coding is needed for the stalks as these were also coded to another cayenne.
Ok. Will do. So the clock spring is coded to the car. I thought that was the mechanism that canceled the turn signals when you rotated the steering wheel. I didn't know the electronics lived in there. I guess I will just have to live with the dead stalk. Sucks because I bought the little block off piece of plastic that covers the hole.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:49 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
Ok. Will do. So the clock spring is coded to the car. I thought that was the mechanism that canceled the turn signals when you rotated the steering wheel. I didn't know the electronics lived in there. I guess I will just have to live with the dead stalk. Sucks because I bought the little block off piece of plastic that covers the hole.
The clockspring has a lot of electronics and sensors in it. The “real” clockspring mechanism allows for a continuous electrical connection of all of the wires in the steering wheel as you turn the wheel. Its a long ribbon cable that is literally able to be unwound about 18 inches to the right and 18 inches to the left.

It may be possible to buy that switch assembly from ebay, and then use a new clockspring, but again, I am not 100% sure. I am 100% sure that a new clockspring with mult function will allow that multi function wheel to work. The 4th stalk may also work too.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:56 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Very interesting. Thank you for all your help. I was wondering how all those connections were made. I figured they were like the old horn buttons. Spring loaded carbon brushes on brass rings.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:29 AM
Slickdvl
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Why not upgrade to the 958.2 steering wheel? I'd love to do the same in the future. I hear there is some kind of gadget you buy to make it work.

Quick Reply: 2012 958 sport steering wheel to multi function steering wheel