Sponsored By:

Retrofit roof rails

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 10:01 PM
jaustin
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mopdahl
Quite a few good Youtube videos on removing the headliner. I've done a few other headliner removals & its a tedious but not difficult process.

Headliner out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWuzzlSCXPA, removing the center light console: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Ea4DSpG78 , and a similar one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRJdWvGmQ1A

Thanks for the reference for the Touareg bars -- I can't find that kit that was listed on any on ebay but shouldn't be too hard to track down. I've installed Yakima roof rail kits on campers before & if you use the aforementioned 3M marine sealant it will never, ever leak. As soon as it warms up I'm going to do this on my CD, and I'll try and document the process in detail. Very happy that it is both doable & pretty much plug-n-play with the correct Cayenne/Touareg brackets. For <$500 and an afternoon of work, this is a much better solution than the Thule/Yakima clamp type systems.
Would love a good DIY on this
Old 02-28-2024, 09:23 PM
honerboys
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

i am going to do this oem rail install soon - i have the rails but not the mounting brackets - does anyone know of a kit with all 4 required brackets and washers - or do i have to buy each one separately - can't find a kit online
Old 02-29-2024, 06:12 AM
pyramidimaging
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try this out,
Amazon Amazon

Worked great for me tying my inflatable fishing boat on top of the car. Went 70mph, no problem. You could add pool noodles to put other things on top.
Best $13 accessory I ever bought for my naked roof 2013 Cayenne Diesel.

strapped to the coat hanger hook next to each rear door

Old 04-11-2024, 04:01 PM
Sam_M
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by honerboys
i am going to do this oem rail install soon - i have the rails but not the mounting brackets - does anyone know of a kit with all 4 required brackets and washers - or do i have to buy each one separately - can't find a kit online
I've been looking for the needed bits and piecies for some time now and haven't come accross a kit. I think you need to buy 4 brackets (washers are included with brackets) and two sets of 8xnuts. Part numbers are listed in post #40.

@garrett376 I have sourced the rails and most of the hardware, just a few questions before I start the job:

1- just to confirm I understood correctly from your earlier post, two shoulder washers must be stacked on top of each other and placed between the brackets and roof, with the ~9mm side poking through the bracket and the ~15mm side poking out through the roof?

2- if the answer to q1 is yes, then what do you think is the best way to make the 15mm holes in the roof? hole saw?

3- would you install a new set of gaskets between rails and the roof? (part number: 7P6898182A)

4- as water leak is a major concern, how would you make sure of a leak-free instalation? in an earlier post 3M 5200 was recommended. any thoughts on that?

5- finally, I have most of the hardware ready except for 2 shoulder washers. I couldn't find those washers for sale separately, I'm assuming I have to buy a bracket only to get the washer. is that right?

Thanks

Last edited by Sam_M; 04-11-2024 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:53 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 623 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam_M
I've been looking for the needed bits and piecies for some time now and haven't come accross a kit. I think you need to buy 4 brackets (washers are included with brackets) and two sets of 8xnuts. Part numbers are listed in post #40.

@garrett376 I have sourced the rails and most of the hardware, just a few questions before I start the job:

1- just to confirm I understood correctly from your earlier post, two shoulder washers must be stacked on top of each other and placed between the brackets and roof, with the ~9mm side poking through the bracket and the ~15mm side poking out through the roof?

2- if the answer to q1 is yes, then what do you think is the best way to make the 15mm holes in the roof? hole saw?

3- would you install a new set of gaskets between rails and the roof? (part number: 7P6898182A)

4- as water leak is a major concern, how would you make sure of a leak-free instalation? in an earlier post 3M 5200 was recommended. any thoughts on that?

5- finally, I have most of the hardware ready except for 2 shoulder washers. I couldn't find those washers for sale separately, I'm assuming I have to buy a bracket only to get the washer. is that right?

Thanks
Ok Sam, let's do this!

RE #1: When you buy the brackets from a VW or Porsche dealer, they come ready to go with plastic guides holding together the 2 special washers/spacers, and the special underside nut. See the first picture below.

RE #2: The only (smart) way to drill the holes: google "Step Drill Bit for Metal" - can get it on Amazon or from Home Depot. Makes it super easy. After drilling, I used a dremel to smooth the edges, then painted the bare metal with touchup paint.

RE #3: depends on what your current rails look like: if they're not torn, I don't think it's necessary to replace the gaskets. ALSO: I sealed the washers to the roof; the factory does not - they depend entirely on the gasket. So if you're going to seal the roof holes with sealant, just use the existing gaskets unless they're total trash.

RE #4: Any urethane adhesive sealant is good - I use Silkaflex 291 Marine adhesive sealant. See additional pics below for sealant application.

RE #5: As indicated above: buy the actual brackets from the dealer to get the correct hardware!! It's $175 for the correct hardware and brackets from VW; about $300 for the same stuff in a Porsche branded bag.

The following users liked this post:
Sam_M (08-09-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 11:16 PM
6speeddave
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry for being the odd one of the bunch here, but I am considering options on removing the factory gloss black rails from my 17 GTS. I am trying to think of healthy ways to seal the existing holes. I may try small PPF sections underneath on all 8 holes, and then do a full 1-piece PPF as well on the top roof. I have a pano roof.

Or, think of some sort of low profile plug / seal solution. I am trying to avoid doing it the right (expensive) way of having a body shop seal and paint them.

Last edited by 6speeddave; 05-08-2024 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 12:42 PM
honerboys
Rennlist Member

since it looks like the original bolts are just sealed with urethane sealant - maybe something as simple as a carriage bolt painted black or car color - low profile - keep the original spacers so roof panel doesn't dimple
The following users liked this post:
6speeddave (05-09-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 07:11 PM
Shamwow
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Was able to retrofit rails to my ‘16 GTS w pano today thanks to this thread

i got the oem rails,brackets, and hardware from ebay for $299

removed the headliner, drilled some holes, and mounted right up. Not difficult but time consuming (5hrs)

tools needed were trim tools, pick, t30 driver , 10mm socket/wrench, 1/4” drill bit and step drill (up to 16mm)

The following 2 users liked this post by Shamwow:
lml999 (08-10-2024), Sam_M (08-09-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 12:39 PM
honerboys
Rennlist Member

nice job - i still have not put these on - the rails i bought did not come with the required brackets - sourcing them from anywhere but porsche has been elusive (although i haven't tried real hard) - now wondering if i need them at all since i've been driving this for 4 years and my skis and mostly everything else i need fits in the back with seats down - even got 4 - 2 x 12 boards in it sticking out side window - might just sell the rails - your car looks great

Quick Reply: Retrofit roof rails