Sponsored By:

Need Help! Replaced Air Strut on 2011 Cayenne Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 10:05 PM
Darien
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 105 Posts
Exclamation Need Help! Replaced Air Strut on 2011 Cayenne Turbo

Ok, I've been racking my brain over this. I need a subject matter expert or someone with tribal knowledge to help. My right front air strut was leaking so I finally got around to replacing it. I installed a Suncore remanufactured OE Air Strut assembly that was plug and play https://www.suncoreindustries.com/pr...he-cayenne-92a. My leak is fixed and I have full range in ride height adjustments.

The problem is my ride is FIRM no matter if I select Comfort, Norm, or Sport! No faullts are present. Needless to say it’s not a comfortable ride any longer Please help!

Old 02-03-2019, 08:48 PM
onehot
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Prob needs to be programmed . Happened to me when i replaced my compressor . They installed and programmed at same time at Porsche indy. Asked my non Porsche mechanic he didn’t have the tools to do it.

Last edited by onehot; 02-05-2019 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:53 PM
Darien
Rennlist Member

Hmm, I guess the local dealership didn’t think of that when I took to them. They were only concerned with servicing with nitrogen then told me it still felt stiff.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:29 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,735 Likes on 1,637 Posts

I'm going to say that the Suncore shock isn't as good as the ATE OEM one.

If your ride height and everything work properly, then I would think the shock is the culprit with the damping, not the spring, being the issue.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:04 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

The Suncore website was somewhat confusing. They list the air-strut assembly as "Brand New" - yet they're looking for cores to rebuild. It's one or the other.. not both. Rebuilding it doesn't make it brand new - it makes it rebuilt.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:35 PM
Darien
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback. So re-programming affects all modes of the PASM and since my height adjustments are correct then programming wouldn’t help the dampening?
Old 02-04-2019, 04:35 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

This is a long shot, but you may try to put the air suspension in service mode, then see if it makes a difference. Probably not. The other thing would be to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, and maybe the module will re-calibrate? Just some easy potential items to try. You may try an independent that has PIWIS.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:25 PM
Darien
Rennlist Member

Can I put in service mode using the Durametric? If I disconnect the battery for 30 min, what could be the result overall, will I need to take to the dealer to reset anything? I only ask because I've read horror stories
Old 02-05-2019, 12:00 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Darien Nunn
Can I put in service mode using the Durametric? If I disconnect the battery for 30 min, what could be the result overall, will I need to take to the dealer to reset anything? I only ask because I've read horror stories
Service mode for the air is used for when you are jacking the car etc. I think you push the selector switch up or down and hold it until you see the message service mode. The disconnection of the battery will not damage anything and there will be no need to go to the dealership to reset anything. What I would hope is that the air module will reset.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:34 PM
Darien
Rennlist Member

Yup. Holding the ride height in the up position for 10 sec will lock the system. I’ve been in constant contact with Suncore and they are confident their air strut is applicable to my CTT. I like the plug and play aspect but if it’s affecting the system, I’d recommend staying away. They are offering to send back my core and refund me once they receive theirs.

In the interim, I will disconnect the battery and hope for the best!!

Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 02-05-2019, 12:36 PM
Darien
Rennlist Member

Curious if the Durametric has the option to reset the PASM?
Old 02-05-2019, 01:22 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Darien Nunn
Curious if the Durametric has the option to reset the PASM?
the durametric has no features whatsoever for the 958 air suspension.

You'll need the launch x431 tool to do any air work.

The comfort/normal/sport setting is a whole separate animal from the air part of the strut. It is an electronic actuator that turns the valve in the damper, and doesn't require air to work. More than likely the strut itself is faulty; I have installed Porsche and Bilstein struts and not had this issue. No programming was required, although with the Launch tool you could do some troubleshooting in this regard.

Do have the system bled and refilled with nitrogen at your earliest convenience.

Furthermore, front right air strut leaking on a 2011 Cayenne Turbo can sometimes be a result of micro-cracks in the compressor body. If you have more issues in the future like this, unfortunately it means you'll likely need to replace the compressor.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:49 PM
Darien
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info! I’ll be investing in a launch tool post haste...is there a certain model?
Leak has stopped with new strut and the system was serviced with nitrogen. If you have installed aftermarket struts on the 958 without issue I’m guessing the Suncore strut is the problem!!!
Old 02-08-2019, 09:30 AM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty

Furthermore, front right air strut leaking on a 2011 Cayenne Turbo can sometimes be a result of micro-cracks in the compressor body. If you have more issues in the future like this, unfortunately it means you'll likely need to replace the compressor.
Can you explain the relationship between a leaking compressor and a leaking front right strut? I can’t wrap my head around how a leak in one causes a leak in the other, and why such a relationship is particular to that one strut.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:57 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MountainStone

Can you explain the relationship between a leaking compressor and a leaking front right strut? I can’t wrap my head around how a leak in one causes a leak in the other, and why such a relationship is particular to that one strut.
The air leaks out at the compressor, but the drop in pressure manifests itself as a sagging front right. I assume the front right is the one that sags due to something with the way the valve block is plumbed. There isn't necessarily a problem with the front right strut at all.

There is a service bulletin out about this. But it is supposed to be limited to the 2011 model year.

Quick Reply: Need Help! Replaced Air Strut on 2011 Cayenne Turbo