Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CD Warranty Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 02:23 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Last edited by visitador; 02-21-2021 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:12 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 180 Posts

I dealt with VW/PCNA for three of my cars. Really got to know the settlement. In my case, I bought a 2014 CD CPO from an authorized Porsche Dealer in Bay Area in 2016. The diesel fix has not yet been agreed to but I inherited the settlement rights as the previous seller sold the car after knowing about the problem and the settlement. There is a weird provision in the settlement that im not sure whether it will apply to the OP. There is a window where the original owner maintains the rights to the settlement of the car was sold before the original owner knew there was a settlement. The window was spelled out in the settlement docs. If that was the case, the benefits would be split (mostly payments iirc) between the two owners. I don’t recall that impacting the warranty scenario, but I didn’t dig that deep as I was just trying to make sure that I would be entitled to 100% of the settlement for the car I was buying. It turned out I was and I ran it through the program and got paid as well as got the emissions modifications done and received the extended emissions warranty.

In my case the CPO warranty did indeed stack on top of the original warranty (i.e. they were sequential) and once I had the diesel emissions fixed that also added the emissions warranty.

I did some research prior to selling that 14 CPO Cayenne diesel as the Porsche systems were a bit confusing. There was one entry for the CPO (that expired early 2020) and there was also the emissions warranty that extended through 2026
or 2028 (don’t recall exactly but there were multiple years left on that warranty). I believe I had the diesel mod done in 2018. In all cases, as folks have said above, the warranty transfers to new owners regardless of who sells the car. The only caveat is that the CPO warranty should also transfer but not if the car is sold back to a Porsche Dealer, in that case they do void the warranty as I’ve been told that they can’t pass it on.

I am in process of selling my CPO 17 CS eHybrid and it will go PP to ensure the almost 2 years worth of warranty transfers to the buyer.

So the only (weird and unlikely) scenario I can think of is:
  • original owner buy 15 CD before knowing there was a problem
  • original owner then sells the 15 CD before the settlement is announced
  • new owner never enter the car into the settlement process or enters car into settlement process but never completes the emissions modifications

In that kind of scenario I could see PCNA voiding or cancelling the emissions warranty. However that seems like an extreme corner case.

pls let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: CD Warranty Nightmare