Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cold weather transmission blues 2011 S

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 10:34 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 71 Posts

So yesterday I took out my Cayenne after it sat outside in -25c weather. I started it up and let it run for about 10 min. My driveway has a slight slope up, and instead of putting it in reverse and backing out I put it in drive. Took my foot off the brake and it actually rolled backwards while in drive no gear was engaged. Backed out then put it in drive and it took a couple of seconds and engaged. I put it in manual mode and just used the first two gears for the first few blocks and it stayed engaged in gear. After that all was normal, I drove around for a couple of hours and the transmission worked perfectly. Scanned again with Durametric and nothing, no codes.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:41 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Exactly my symptoms. Problem is that it is spotty and hard to replicate for me consistently. The incline slope is where most of my instances happen..
Old 02-01-2019, 11:33 AM
edde
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
So yesterday I took out my Cayenne after it sat outside in -25c weather. I started it up and let it run for about 10 min. My driveway has a slight slope up, and instead of putting it in reverse and backing out I put it in drive. Took my foot off the brake and it actually rolled backwards while in drive no gear was engaged. Backed out then put it in drive and it took a couple of seconds and engaged. I put it in manual mode and just used the first two gears for the first few blocks and it stayed engaged in gear. After that all was normal, I drove around for a couple of hours and the transmission worked perfectly. Scanned again with Durametric and nothing, no codes.
Wow, that's a serious drag. Obviously fluid levels and viscosity have been mentioned. Dunno if it translates exactly but on the turbo volvos like I had there was an issue with Aisin trans solenoids getting weak and worn out. In my case it caused some slop and slips at different times. But I can't say I ever had an experience like this with it. And the fact that it gets better when warm, eh. Cold seal shrinkage, hot seal expansion?
https://ferdinandmagazine.com/porsch...-body-problems
https://www.searchautoparts.com/moto...ift-complaints
Old 02-05-2019, 11:43 AM
Tryfon
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a similiar issue with my 2012 S; it would randomly slip when cold and felt like it was thunking into drive. Dealer claimed it was the transfer case and R&R. Haven't had the issue since (30k miles later).
Old 02-05-2019, 05:06 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tryfon
I had a similiar issue with my 2012 S; it would randomly slip when cold and felt like it was thunking into drive. Dealer claimed it was the transfer case and R&R. Haven't had the issue since (30k miles later).
This is interesting thanks for sharing.

Was it slipping so bad it felt like it was in neutral? That’s what mine is like, like it’s not in gear at all.

Can the transfer case completely uncouple the transmission from both the front and rear diffs?
Old 02-06-2019, 08:33 AM
Tryfon
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is interesting thanks for sharing.

Was it slipping so bad it felt like it was in neutral? That’s what mine is like, like it’s not in gear at all.

Can the transfer case completely uncouple the transmission from both the front and rear diffs?
That's exactly what it felt like. The car wouldn't move at all so I'm assuming the clutches were slipping so bad they couldn't transfer power at all. We jumped in the Lexus and let it sit in the driveway for the day to come back to it working again. It did it one more time while I was driving it at which point the transfer case was replaced by the dealership and I took over the car (wife took the Lexus over). I haven't had any issues with it since that one day really.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:43 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

hi Cosmos.......I have exact same issues with my '09 GTS given Alberta is now in frigid temp weather.

The transmission was serviced by myself last year with new filter, oil etc so I know all was correct except I dont own a Durametric so used my IR gun to read temp on the trans. oil pan. I suspect my oil level is low at these extreme temps but unfortunately my garage is not heated so cant work on it (-30c). May have to visit a shop for oil level check and adjust.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:26 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the flyin' scotsman
hi Cosmos.......I have exact same issues with my '09 GTS given Alberta is now in frigid temp weather.

The transmission was serviced by myself last year with new filter, oil etc so I know all was correct except I dont own a Durametric so used my IR gun to read temp on the trans. oil pan. I suspect my oil level is low at these extreme temps but unfortunately my garage is not heated so cant work on it (-30c). May have to visit a shop for oil level check and adjust.
Hey Malcolm

Good to hear from you its been awhile! I lifted mine and checked the level via temp with an infrared gun as well (Durametric won’t read trans temp on 958, grrr!). Mine was showing fine. Wondering if I should pump a 1/2 litre extra into it and see what happens.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:07 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Update guys, so yesterday it was about -7c and I took off with the Cayenne. Got to the first stop sign and tried to take off very gentle on the accelerator pedal. I could see it wasn't in gear so I took my foot off the accelerator and put it in off road mode. There was a jerk like it went into gear! Drove off normal.

Does off road mode tighten up the clutches in the transfer case? Starting to narrow this down.

Edit: Rolled out today in off road mode and it wouldn’t engage drive at first stop sign. So much for that theory.

Will try again when cold with the center diff engaged.

Last edited by Cosmo Kramer; 02-11-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:20 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Malcolm

Good to hear from you its been awhile! I lifted mine and checked the level via temp with an infrared gun as well (Durametric won’t read trans temp on 958, grrr!). Mine was showing fine. Wondering if I should pump a 1/2 litre extra into it and see what happens.
yes, thats what I'd do if I had a heated garage.

btw, when I serviced my transmission I also did the transfer case and diffs............there is no issue with them. I'd concentrate on the transmission than thinking its another component.......IMHO

Quick Reply: Cold weather transmission blues 2011 S