Sponsored By:

Fuel gauge fault

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 04:47 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015CayenneS
I just spoke with my Porsche mechanic down the street and he asked how much gas I currently have in the fuel tank and I said maybe a quarter of a tank he said fill it all the way up and it should resolve your problem sometimes when the gas level is low for a long period it has trouble calculating the fuel and will give you that false narrative.
He didn't believe it was anything corrosive

I went and topped it off it and sure enough it went away and I will continue to monitor it.
I'm not going to pour the techron in just yet but that's Plan B
No problem. What worked for me might not work for you. I was very skeptical about Techron but there was a gentleman on here who suaded me. First time didn’t work. 2nd time might have.
Old 09-14-2021, 04:52 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 471 Posts

These sensors predictably fail; it's not a calculation error, or a Techron solve. The errors you have will return... it's so intermittent in most cases, that there's no way to judge whether the Techron, or filling your tank does anything. Just change both senders and be done with it!

volcanogts I assume you calibrated the senders after installing, which requires an empty tank... not mostly, or almost empty, but empty.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:02 AM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
These sensors predictably fail; it's not a calculation error, or a Techron solve. The errors you have will return... it's so intermittent in most cases, that there's no way to judge whether the Techron, or filling your tank does anything. Just change both senders and be done with it!

volcanogts I assume you calibrated the senders after installing, which requires an empty tank... not mostly, or almost empty, but empty.
I did see the sender calibration in the workshop manual, if I recall, it wanted the tank bone dry and then do the calibration. I rolled the dice and didn’t do the calibration and I haven’t had a hiccup. I’ve filled it probably 5 or 6 times and the gauge appears accurate. Goes full all the way to empty, the distance till empty has seemed accurate. If it’s slightly off on exact measurement of what’s in the tank, I haven’t noticed and still worth the savings of having the dealer do it at the quoted $1,100 or so?

The fault I had in the instrument cluster cleared itself and there are no other faults to date.

I haven’t had issues with the reading on many vw/Audi/Porsche products after replacing senders or fuel pumps in the past either.

Last edited by volcanogts; 09-15-2021 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:10 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by volcanogts
I did see the sender calibration in the workshop manual, if I recall, it wanted the tank bone dry and then with ignition off add 28 liters of fuel and then do the calibration. I could have drained the tank but had no way of adding the precise amount while parked in my garage. I rolled the dice and didn’t do the calibration and I haven’t had a hiccup. I’ve filled it probably 5 or 6 times and the gauge appears accurate. Goes full all the way to empty, the distance till empty has seemed accurate. If it’s slightly off on exact measurement of what’s in the tank, I haven’t noticed and still worth the savings of having the dealer do it at the quoted $1,100 or so?

The fault I had in the instrument cluster cleared itself and there are no other faults to date.

I haven’t had issues with the reading on many vw/Audi/Porsche products after replacing senders or fuel pumps in the past either.
Just to clarify for those that come upon this thread: on a 958, you calibrate the sensors at empty, and that's it. There is no adding a specific amount of fuel for calibration.
The following users liked this post:
volcanogts (09-15-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 11:40 AM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

You are completely right, I don’t know what I was looking at but I just looked at the manual because I was curious and it is definitely calibrated at empty.
I don’t know what I was thinking or looking at!
If I have an issue with my gauge in the future I will have to drain it dry and calibrate it.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:15 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by garrett376

Just today My faulty fuel gauge light came on for 10 seconds and went off.

I reckon I will just get it repaired this time. Techron lasted over year for me.

Thanks everyone for the info. I will regurgitate this to my Indy.
The following users liked this post:
2015CayenneS (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 01:20 PM
jonUF02
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I would not think fuel cleaner would resolve a mechanical sender issue, but mine was doing this before, per my last post. After running Shell premium gas for about 3k miles in my ownership since February it seems to have stopped. I believe they have the best gas, it contains cleaners already. The previous owner I think was running cheap gas. He told me "you don't have to run premium, it will adjust, look at the sticker on the engine bay". Other than that the car was in perfect order, so I bought it and now run only the Shell gas I prefer. My Mercedes E550 biturbo will throw O2 sensor codes and possibly a tiny rough idle the couple of times I have put cheap station gas in it.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:31 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jonUF02
I would not think fuel cleaner would resolve a mechanical sender issue, but mine was doing this before, per my last post. After running Shell premium gas for about 3k miles in my ownership since February it seems to have stopped. I believe they have the best gas, it contains cleaners already. The previous owner I think was running cheap gas. He told me "you don't have to run premium, it will adjust, look at the sticker on the engine bay". Other than that the car was in perfect order, so I bought it and now run only the Shell gas I prefer. My Mercedes E550 biturbo will throw O2 sensor codes and possibly a tiny rough idle the couple of times I have put cheap station gas in it.
I could see this. I use Costco and they’re supposed to have good gas, they have that industry rating but I believe(in my head) I notice a slight difference between Mobil(my preference but believe Shell and Amoco are good as well) and Costco.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:21 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Hey guys.

Would one of you be kind enough to help me with the part number? I’d appreciate it.

This is what came up for $247.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...-2910000074800
Old 09-17-2021, 05:12 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

I get this fault sporadically as well. Always after (completely) filling up; goes away after restarting the car.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:24 PM
2015CayenneS
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by luciano136
I get this fault sporadically as well. Always after (completely) filling up; goes away after restarting the car.
I agree with that.

I was freaking out at first and then my local Porsche mechanic asked me how much fuel was in the tank and I told him just barely under a quarter of a tank
he said fill it up all the way to the top because when it gets that low the sensor has trouble calculating a fuel estimate.
Not that there's anything wrong with it.

I topped it off and it hasn't come on cents.
How strange

but it has never done that before it when it got low like that. So not sure but nothing to lose sleep over
Old 12-17-2021, 02:59 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Started getting this error around 1/4 tank on my 2016 CD. Haven't had a chance to scan it to see what sensor is causing the issue. Cycling of the key usually resolves it, but this is now the second occurrence after getting to low fuel quantity.

Should be covered under the extended diesel warranty.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:49 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewDude
Started getting this error around 1/4 tank on my 2016 CD. Haven't had a chance to scan it to see what sensor is causing the issue. Cycling of the key usually resolves it, but this is now the second occurrence after getting to low fuel quantity.

Should be covered under the extended diesel warranty.
Welp...fuel level sensors are not covered by the Dieselgate warranty.

To make matters worse, dealer markup on a new sensor and the seal was over DOUBLE what their internet parts website was. I got them to lower the cost, but labor and parts were still over a G to fix.

And then guess what...they changed the wrong sensor . Sensor 1 is on the RH side of the vehicle; tech changed the LH one. Sucks only having one dealer to choose from in Vegas. Unless it's warranty work, I'm off to the independent repair shop next time.
Old 11-04-2022, 07:38 AM
MyMom'sCayenne
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015CayenneS
I agree with that.

I was freaking out at first and then my local Porsche mechanic asked me how much fuel was in the tank and I told him just barely under a quarter of a tank
he said fill it up all the way to the top because when it gets that low the sensor has trouble calculating a fuel estimate.
Not that there's anything wrong with it.

I topped it off and it hasn't come on cents.
How strange

but it has never done that before it when it got low like that. So not sure but nothing to lose sleep over

I really need the contact info to your mechanic as they seem to be really knowledgable in what they do. Could you send them my way please I would literally love u forever
Old 12-20-2022, 11:46 AM
fausela
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone asked above, What is techron?
Here ya go- its easy to find-https://www.amazon.com/Chevron-Techron-Concentrate-System-Cleaner/dp/B00092893E?th=1

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge fault