Sponsored By:

Just bought a set of turbo III replicas - quick thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 06:04 PM
AKITCHELL
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just bought a set of turbo III replicas - quick thoughts

Hey all, I recently traded my 991 cab for a 958 CTTS. One of my favorite things about the 911 were the Turbo III wheels . Its still for sale at Rusnak Porsche if you want to see the wheel I"m talking about. Well , I've learned that turbo III wheels for a cayenne are harder to find and when i did find a set , they wanted $5500 for them ! Yes , I am aware of P-tax. I'm sure there are some peeps out there that will say its their life , and oem rims are the only thing that they will run, and i can respect that. But my turbo II factory wheels are mint and my tires are basically new . It seemed frivolous to spend that sort of money for a slight cosmetic change. So I bought some replicas off of ebay. Yes, prolly from Indonesia or china and yes prolly cast wheels. Could not find polished centers aftermarket or used, so i picked those up from Suncoast. and new Beru german aftermarket tpms from ebay. They are being mounted up as we speak, and they remind me of my old 911 , so I'm pretty happy with the look. i had michelins on the turbo II , and i have p zeros going onto the turbo III replicas.
1. the replicas are the same size and offset as the oem.
2. i weighed the tire wheel combo , as i head the turbo II were forged and much lighter. the results on bathroom scale were surprising. 66 lbs for the factory wheel and tire vs 68, lbs for the reps, just to see, i weighed another wheel from each set and got 71 lbs for the reps and 69 for the factory wheel/ tire combo.
I'm surprised at the variance and also that the reps , which are cast wheels, are pretty much the same weight as the forged oem.
3. the finish on the reps was beautiful and they bolted up perfectly with no rubbing or drama.
I'll report back after driving on them .
Old 01-03-2019, 06:24 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Shoot over some pictures.

When I had my X5 I was thinking about getting reps but just wasn't sure due to quality differences between wheels (quality control can be different from wheel to wheel with reps)
Old 01-03-2019, 06:44 PM
AKITCHELL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
Shoot over some pictures.

When I had my X5 I was thinking about getting reps but just wasn't sure due to quality differences between wheels (quality control can be different from wheel to wheel with reps)

for sure, I had the same concerns for the same reasons . I would think there are some others out there, who don't track their cars that are wondering about cast replicas too . That's why i posted my experiences with the reps along with the weights. the cars getting detailed right now. i'll try and post some pics tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:13 PM
AKITCHELL
Intermediate

stock turbo II
Old 01-03-2019, 07:25 PM
AKITCHELL
Intermediate

oem turbo III on my 911

the look i'm going for
Old 01-03-2019, 07:38 PM
AKITCHELL
Intermediate

Old 01-04-2019, 12:58 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 316 Posts

Looks great - how much $$ did you save?
Old 01-04-2019, 01:02 PM
AKITCHELL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by leftlane
Looks great - how much $$ did you save?

I found a used set , with tires and tpms for 5300 plus , 700 shipping. - so 6k

i saved $4100 total.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:49 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,990 Likes on 1,774 Posts

You paid $6,000 for replica wheels and tires? Wowza, that's some coin.

It does update the look of the car though.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:47 PM
AKITCHELL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
You paid $6,000 for replica wheels and tires? Wowza, that's some coin.

It does update the look of the car though.
No sir. he asked how much i saved going with reps instead of oem. the used oem were 6k , and i saved over 4k.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:19 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,990 Likes on 1,774 Posts

I see, a used set of OEM's for $5,300 and then the shipping. Yikes.

Your reps make the car look like a new model. Nice move!
Old 01-06-2019, 01:49 PM
AKITCHELL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I see, a used set of OEM's for $5,300 and then the shipping. Yikes.

Your reps make the car look like a new model. Nice move!
Thanks,
I should have been more specific about the pricing. After seeing the 6k for used , I couldn't even imagine what the dealer wants for a new set. I almost pulled the trigger on the used , until i saw the reps and decided to take a chance.

worked out well. The funny part is that , both turbo II and turbo III wheels are from the same period. Meaning that both were available in 2014 , yet turbo II looks so dated. If i really wanted "updated" looks, they have reps of the "cayenne exclusive design" wheels available on the 2018 models. But i was already in love with my old 911 rims . dated or not.

I'll update you guys , if they fail or have any negative impact. So far , a few hundred miles on them, and they ride like stock.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:05 PM
pmb9484
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look great! I am in the same boat. Would love to find a set of used OEM turbo III but can not justify the cost for new. Where did you get your replicas from? hows the ride on 21" rims? I'm still debating on 20"s for a better ride
Old 01-06-2019, 05:32 PM
AKITCHELL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pmb9484
Look great! I am in the same boat. Would love to find a set of used OEM turbo III but can not justify the cost for new. Where did you get your replicas from? hows the ride on 21" rims? I'm still debating on 20"s for a better ride
New? haha , I could not justify the cost of used ! I got them off of eBay. There are a couple of sellers that stock them. They have them in black/ machine and gunmetal/machne. I don't think Porsche makes black / machine , so gun / machine would be a more stock look.

The stock turbo II rims were already 21" so there was no difference in ride. I see some guys running 22" and actually , they would have been cheaper , as 22" is a more common tire size and thus cheaper to buy , at least in my experience.

You will notice a difference between 20's and 21's and then 22's. Each one getting progressively heavier driving and a little more stiff. I would drive cars with different sized wheels to determine if you can put up with the ride. 22's imo are too heavy and stiff . I believe the new models come with optional 22's

21' was a nice compromise for me, and since it was stock, it worked out perfect. I also want to note that my setup would have been cheaper if I went with off brand tires. I found a new take off set of P-zeros with no miles and n1 spec ( Porsche spec) for $900 which helped keep my costs down while getting an $1800 set of tires. the savings on the tires basically paid for the rims.

If you can deal with cheap tires , you can get a set up for about 1600. funny how I'll skimp on the rims but not the tires.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:56 PM
projectd18
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey can you pm me the seller you bought these from? They look awesome!!!

Quick Reply: Just bought a set of turbo III replicas - quick thoughts