Sponsored By:

RMS - 32K Mile...WTF

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 04:34 PM
jamiepstewart
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RMS - 32K Mile...WTF

My shiny green Jalapeno sprung a leak with the Rear Main Seal, at 32,000 miles!! Of course the stealership put a dinner bib on, salted my keys and got very very excited. They wanted... $4500!!!! to remove the transmission AND the ENGINE because they were not sure if it was actually the RMS. I wouldnt approve the work for the engine removal without definitive proof. Unbelievable. This is my 5th Pepper and they are usually bullet proof - but a RMS at 32K miles? Thank the good Lord above i have an extended warranty (not through Porsche). Two of the picts attached the dealer sent.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:33 PM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Fudge me! $4,500 for a $45 part? Crazy!
Old 01-02-2019, 05:37 PM
jamiepstewart
Instructor

Yep. That was only to diagnosis the problem - $4500. The funny part was "Well sir, we arent sure if it is the RMS or if the case halves have that are leaking, so we need to pull both the transmission and engine to know for sure". LOL. Hard no. I have no idea how much this will cost when it's all done.

BUT...

They did give me a new 2019 Cayenne (base) as a loaner. I LIKE my 958 MUCH more.... for many reasons.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:25 AM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Porsche of Main line or Conshohoken?
Old 01-03-2019, 11:36 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear this, and at such low mileage. So your current warranty won't cover the diagnosis costs?
Old 01-03-2019, 01:13 PM
jamiepstewart
Instructor

DAVFoto: Main Line... I brought it to them versus my Indy (who is also really good) given the ultra low miles. Thinking maybe Porsche should be made aware of it. I should have gone to my Indy.

CarGuyNVA: Thanks... The warranty company initially was not sure if they would cover it.. but in the end, they have... or i guess I will find out for sure when I go to pick up the vehicle.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:53 PM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Smart move on the extended warranty! I bet your Indy mechanic is much better and cheaper than your Porsche dealer. Most of those guys at the dealer are part changers, not troubleshooters, or at least that's been my experience. Good luck with it!
Old 01-03-2019, 04:58 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jamiepstewart
DAVFoto: Main Line... I brought it to them versus my Indy (who is also really good) given the ultra low miles. Thinking maybe Porsche should be made aware of it. I should have gone to my Indy.

CarGuyNVA: Thanks... The warranty company initially was not sure if they would cover it.. but in the end, they have... or i guess I will find out for sure when I go to pick up the vehicle.
Gotcha, I'm in the process of picking up a Meteor Grey Cayenne GTS there. Just curious who you serviced with.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:02 PM
jamiepstewart
Instructor

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
Gotcha, I'm in the process of picking up a Meteor Grey Cayenne GTS there. Just curious who you serviced with.
You are buying a GTS? Welcome to the family! What year? And with Main Line or Conshy? I know them both all too well.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:26 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jamiepstewart
You are buying a GTS? Welcome to the family! What year? And with Main Line or Conshy? I know them both all too well.
Main Line and it's a 13. I wanted a 14 but the wifey didn't want to pay what we were about to pay for one so I got a better deal plus Main Line is working with me on my SC registration while other dealers were complete idiots about it.

Funny thing is that there weren't many GTS's for sale around the country and now all of the sudden, Ray Catena, Greenwich and another dealer not all that far have GTS's for sale. One at Ray Catena will probably be too expensive for me and the one at Greenwich was a good price with the mileage it has compared to the one I'm getting but I like the build I'm getting better with the Carmine GTS interior.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:51 PM
jamiepstewart
Instructor

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
Main Line and it's a 13. I wanted a 14 but the wifey didn't want to pay what we were about to pay for one so I got a better deal plus Main Line is working with me on my SC registration while other dealers were complete idiots about it.

Funny thing is that there weren't many GTS's for sale around the country and now all of the sudden, Ray Catena, Greenwich and another dealer not all that far have GTS's for sale. One at Ray Catena will probably be too expensive for me and the one at Greenwich was a good price with the mileage it has compared to the one I'm getting but I like the build I'm getting better with the Carmine GTS interior.
I have the Peridot GTS interiror. LOVE IT. Also, the 13 is nearly identical to the 14. Couple of minor differences, but none worth the price difference. Also, buy secondary CAT bypass pipes for it... i can send you a video of mine... its insane. Main Line does a pretty good job as a dealer. Just very expensive.

Quick Reply: RMS - 32K Mile...WTF