Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Another 4,400 miles goes by, so another oil change yesterday. Ho-hum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 11:13 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Another 4,400 miles goes by, so another oil change yesterday. Ho-hum.

The oil change warning comes with 1,000 miles and then reminds me every time I go to turn the truck on. As I had time this past Sunday, and with winter on the way and a dry day to boot, with the oil change warning at 600 miles, I put the truck up on the 2x10 planks that I had cut and screwed/nailed three high to get the clearance I need to get under to remove the one front tray and drain the oil.

I always think that the job is going to be another PITA but had realized yesterday that when I take off the 10 10mm bolts that hold on the front plastic skid plate, then put a big long 4x4 on the rear tray so it keeps it on the ground enough for me to slide my drain pan-which is just a 10 qt aluminum pot that I squeezed together a bit to make two sharp pour-points on each end of the pot, there is no need to remove any more of the undertray bolts and getting to the 6mm allen bolt to drain the oil is not all that hard. Using a cordless drill to zing the 10mm undertray bolts and put them back on helps too.

Then it is just using the big socket to take off the oil filter, replacing it and the green o-ring from the Mann oil filter, replacing the crush washer at the drain, putting the drain plug back in, filling with the Total Ineo 5W-30 and the job is done. It probably took me 30-45 minutes as this must have been the 5th or 6th time I have now changed the oil in this truck and between having done many in the 2012 Touareg I had and the wife's 2015 Treg TDI, it is a simple job.

I should be good for the remainder of the winter but it all depends on how many times I'll make the 250 mile roundtrip to go snowmobiling/snowbiking this upcoming winter.

Either way, as I bought a whole bunch of oil change kits from iDParts.com when they go on sale, with the kids at like $82.95, our trucks are always ready for the next oil change.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:24 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

get the fumoto drain valve and its even easier!
Old 12-10-2018, 11:52 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Yeah, I just paid the dealership to change the oil because I haven't settled on which tool I want to reset the light but, that isn't happening again. So next oil change I'm going to install a fumoto valve with a nipple for a drain hose so, it doesn't pour all over the crossmember. Then I've got to get a plan together for an access panel in the under tray. 5K miles is too frequent to screw around with that pan every time.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:16 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Oh yeah, I did reset the reminder/warning, with the iCarsoft.

Has Fumoto solved the crossmember being in the way? I think I had seen some fitting that was angled to clear somewhere, just that it was sort of pricey as opposed to me turning the 6mm allen wrench and a few nitrile gloves. I do like the idea of the drain valve and had bought one for a TDI Touareg but it would not fit and clear the same crossmember.

A panel is going to be tough as the joint between the two panels is right where one would need to put the access.
The following users liked this post:
dndodd (03-08-2021)
Old 12-10-2018, 12:42 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

yes, its a 2 part valve now that angles.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:34 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Originally Posted by BenCD
Oh yeah, I did reset the reminder/warning, with the iCarsoft.

Has Fumoto solved the crossmember being in the way? I think I had seen some fitting that was angled to clear somewhere, just that it was sort of pricey as opposed to me turning the 6mm allen wrench and a few nitrile gloves. I do like the idea of the drain valve and had bought one for a TDI Touareg but it would not fit and clear the same crossmember.

A panel is going to be tough as the joint between the two panels is right where one would need to put the access.
I'm hoping with the Fumoto I might be able to offset the access panel away from the seam and use a drain line off the valve . I haven't looked at it close enough to know for sure though. Even if it doesn't work out with an access door in the pan having the fumoto and a drain hose will be a big improvement.

I was looking at the POR V2.0 from them. It appears they are now able to register the battery and are working on being able to code at some point as well. Here is an email I got from them:

Thanks for your email.
1.It appears the main difference between this and the POR II is the ability to register the battery, is that correct? That’s is the only difference in the documentation I noticed.
A:Yes,the difference is the BMS. POR V 2.0 can also support data print.

2. Do you have any plans for this tool or any tool to support coding in the future? I’d love to have a tool that can enable/disable features the factory tools can things like when the mirrors fold/unfold, turn off seat belt warnings, etc…
A:Yes,we are working on it.

3. Does this tool have the ability to record data?
A:yes.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:49 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
I'm hoping with the Fumoto I might be able to offset the access panel away from the seam and use a drain line off the valve . I haven't looked at it close enough to know for sure though. Even if it doesn't work out with an access door in the pan having the fumoto and a drain hose will be a big improvement.

I was looking at the POR V2.0 from them. It appears they are now able to register the battery and are working on being able to code at some point as well. Here is an email I got from them:

That would work.

As long as one could get a hand into the panel to flip the oil drain lever and one had a line/hose to route the oil down and out, that would be excellent.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:07 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

Changing the oil on the CD is, by far and away, the messiest oil change I've ever done. It gets *everywhere*. Does the Fumoto valve really help with that?
Old 12-10-2018, 04:00 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Originally Posted by docwyte
Changing the oil on the CD is, by far and away, the messiest oil change I've ever done. It gets *everywhere*. Does the Fumoto valve really help with that?
With the ones that have a barb on the end you can install a small section of hose when draining so you can route the drain right down to your pan.
http://www.fumotousa.com/bsx-series-valves.php

*This link is not the correct valve for the cayenne just an image representing what the valves that accept hoses look like.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:02 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by docwyte
Imagine, instead of having to turn a flat headed bolt with an allen head recessed into it and then holding it while black, warm to hot oil is dripping all over your hand and maybe even down your arm, you can just push up and then 1/4 turn a lever and have spent oil drain into a tube into the container of your choice.

I might have to buy the adapter as soon as someone posts the link up for it.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:08 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

I'm doing the oil change tomorrow or wednesday, when the rest of my parts get here. I'll take a pic of the valve. I don't even use the hose with it, it clears the crossmember when draining without it.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:02 PM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

The drain valve is great. I still drop the shield, to check for leaks, but you can literally change the oil in your work clothes, and not get dirty. It’s fantastic.

Casey
Old 12-10-2018, 07:57 PM
hammerdog
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
Imagine, instead of having to turn a flat headed bolt with an allen head recessed into it and then holding it while black, warm to hot oil is dripping all over your hand and maybe even down your arm, you can just push up and then 1/4 turn a lever and have spent oil drain into a tube into the container of your choice.

I might have to buy the adapter as soon as someone posts the link up for it.
BenCD- here is the link for the valve on Amazon. The hose does not come with the valve and you have to buy it separate. I bought the valve and later bought the hose. The hose helps you direct the oil into your oil container and eliminates the need to take off rear undercarriage tray.

https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F106SX-M14-1-5-Drain-Valve/dp/B01HP5V092/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544485633&sr=8-1&keywords=Fumoto+F106SX+M14-1.5+SX+Series+Drain+Valve https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F106SX-M14-1-5-Drain-Valve/dp/B01HP5V092/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544485633&sr=8-1&keywords=Fumoto+F106SX+M14-1.5+SX+Series+Drain+Valve
Old 12-10-2018, 08:57 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes. Fumoto valve eliminates any mess. Love it
Old 12-11-2018, 06:37 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I've been using the Mightyvac to suck the oil out the empty dipstick tube. Takes some practice to get the hose situated correctly in the sump but I get a full 8+ qts out every time. I'm getting too old to go crawling under cars.

Quick Reply: Another 4,400 miles goes by, so another oil change yesterday. Ho-hum.