Sponsored By:

Anyone tow HEAVY with their 958CTT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019 | 05:54 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by t walgamuth
Hello, thanks for the posting about the prodigy! In looking at the videos about it it states that if the remote controller comes loose from the 12 v power supply the brakes will be applied at the last force level adjustment (or similar words). This seems like a potential disaster if it were to happen while tooling along in the middle or left lane. Anybody experience this becoming disconnected while at highway speeds?

Tom
You misunderstood, and in a big way! They would never design it to work that way and have anyone buy it. If a child pulls it out or passenger pulls or kicks out the plug by mistake and the trailer goes to Max brakes?! Or radio interference disconnects it from the trailer so it's no longer connected and it goes to max brakes!?
No, the remote does three things: configures the system, applies brakes in an emergency with the button, and tells you its status. You can unplug it while driving and be just fine. The trailer and unit will function with its current settings if unplugged; that's likely what you were hearing but misunderstood. If unplugged, you therefore cannot change the brake force settings (why would you need to anyway if you've set it up properly initially at the start of your drive), you cannot see how much brake force it's applying (which is minimally helpful anyway), and you can't manually apply the brakes to stabilize the trailer in an emergency or manually apply the brakes to fine tune its setup.
Old 01-21-2019 | 12:17 AM
t walgamuth
6th Gear

OK, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks very much for your clarification! I am leaning toward a more conventional setup where the fancy gizmos attach to the tow vehicle instead of the trailer. I understand how they work pretty well and am very comfortable with them

Tom Walgamuth
Old 01-21-2019 | 01:09 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by t walgamuth
OK, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks very much for your clarification! I am leaning toward a more conventional setup where the fancy gizmos attach to the tow vehicle instead of the trailer. I understand how they work pretty well and am very comfortable with them

Tom Walgamuth
It's posted here elsewhere, but everything really works the same; it's just the accelerometer and circuitry is now on the trailer which is awesome, versus under the dash where you'll kick it, have a hard time reaching it if you had to, or whatever. The RF version just makes a lot more sense in a cockpit like the 958 Cayenne as it eliminates needing to permanently mount something into the interior (nothing to drill and mount), where there really isn't a good place. In most cases a Cayenne is an occasional tow truck, so the RF is great - just plug in the remote when you're using it, otherwise it's not there to clutter the interior or entice someone to break in an steal it. I had a regular wired Prodigy in an older Cayenne, and got the RF for my 958 after deciding there was no easily accessible place to mount it without trashing the interior. After having both, I don't really know why anyone would prefer the wired version!!
Old 01-28-2019 | 11:42 AM
moosehead
Intermediate

Not nearly your Airstream load, but 21’ inboard and trailer approx 7k lbs total over 11,300’ mountain pass 3-4 times per season, no problem.

Old 07-11-2019 | 11:09 PM
karlusmagnus
Advanced

We did this at work ... an A380
Old 07-12-2019 | 03:21 PM
Mr. Merk
Racer

We recently scored an Airstream 25' that we'll be towing to Colorado on Labor day to camp for a week. Pretty pumped to get it behind the Cayenne!

Quick Reply: Anyone tow HEAVY with their 958CTT?