Sponsored By:

Going to the drag strip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 01:53 AM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Going to the drag strip?

Just spent an evening at an open night at my local drag strip. Good fun and lots to look at. Everything from a 10 second Nissan GTR to someone who turned up with a 100% stock 2006 Camry! Looks fun.

Was wondering, anyone taken their Cayenne to the strip? Anything to be aware of? And is it worth the risk? I don’t have Sport Chrono so launches will be simple at best.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:53 AM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Kind of depends on the model Cayenne you take. Just remember, the Cayenne has a torque converter - not a dual clutch or PDK - so it's more like a "traditional' drag car in that respect. Not sure how the hybrids work in that respect.

CTT/GTS/: Sport mode, (ESC off?), Brakes, Load up torque converter to about 2500-2700 RPM, side-step brake pedal, steer.

Base: Assume it's the same as above, just don't know it there is a "Sport" button.

Hybrid, e-hybrid, :??

CD: Why bother

I found if you let the RPM rise up to 3k, the nannies kick in and bog you down off the line. I haven't yet tried turning off the ESC and doing a full launch. My guess is that it would be better, but don't know.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:30 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

I haven't run the CD at the strip because as AO said, why bother but, I have run my Evo, 335 and M3 multiple times. I wouldn't have any major concerns about running a cayenne down the strip. It's basically just a long on ramp. Haha. There's no clutch to burn up, the odds of wheel hopping should be minimal with the AWD system. The only concern I would have would be the transfer case since they seem prone to failure and the loads at a prepped track might be detrimental to its longevity. That said I haven't read up on the failure mode of the TC if it isn't due to power but, more from something breaking down over time I'd be less worried about it.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:35 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I think I'm taking mine in a couple weekends. I'll let you know how it goes
Old 11-08-2018, 11:45 AM
offagain
Instructor

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
I haven't run the CD at the strip because as AO said, why bother but, I have run my Evo, 335 and M3 multiple times. I wouldn't have any major concerns about running a cayenne down the strip. It's basically just a long on ramp. Haha. There's no clutch to burn up, the odds of wheel hopping should be minimal with the AWD system. The only concern I would have would be the transfer case since they seem prone to failure and the loads at a prepped track might be detrimental to its longevity. That said I haven't read up on the failure mode of the TC if it isn't due to power but, more from something breaking down over time I'd be less worried about it.
Yeah, TC thats my concern. Having replaced mine, I know how expensive it is.... but as mentioned, it shouldnt cause issues. I dont launch it in normal driving, but occasionally need to use Sport mode to get out onto a 65MPH road and its all good.

Just looks a bit of fun and seeing the still-got-dealer-plates 2019 Camaro and Mustang got me thinking. And some guy rocked up in a 2005 Camry that was totally stock and looked to be having a ball. Maybe the Boxster is the better one to try first?
Old 11-08-2018, 11:48 AM
offagain
Instructor

Originally Posted by AO
Kind of depends on the model Cayenne you take. Just remember, the Cayenne has a torque converter - not a dual clutch or PDK - so it's more like a "traditional' drag car in that respect. Not sure how the hybrids work in that respect.

CTT/GTS/: Sport mode, (ESC off?), Brakes, Load up torque converter to about 2500-2700 RPM, side-step brake pedal, steer.

Base: Assume it's the same as above, just don't know it there is a "Sport" button.

Hybrid, e-hybrid, :??

CD: Why bother

I found if you let the RPM rise up to 3k, the nannies kick in and bog you down off the line. I haven't yet tried turning off the ESC and doing a full launch. My guess is that it would be better, but don't know.
Mines an S without sport chrono, so should be pretty simple to get off the line. Wont be the fastest I know, but a bit of fun and interested to see what it does. Was interesting to see some guy on a Honda Africa Twin motorcycle though. If you know them, you can get the DCT transmission on them and he just twisted and went, getting 13.something too!
Old 11-08-2018, 12:54 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by offagain
...And some guy rocked up in a 2005 Camry that was totally stock and looked to be having a ball.
That's bracket racing for ya. Run whatever you got...if it's consistent, you're good to go! That's the key.

Back in the day when I used to go, I'd see everything from 9-second street cars to 19-second plumbing company vans! The slower vehicles were often the ones in the finals....much more consistent....step on the gas, no wheel spin, no drama...ran the exact same every time.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:32 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

13.4 at 105. Sport mode on, automatic shifting, traction control off. Guess I should have held the brake harder and gotten the RPMs up higher on the launch?
Old 11-28-2018, 04:39 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
13.4 at 105. Sport mode on, automatic shifting, traction control off. Guess I should have held the brake harder and gotten the RPMs up higher on the launch?
Not bad. Best I recall seeing for a bone stock 958.1 gen CTT is a 12.8 ET (don't recall the trap speed). With a little more practice/adjustment of your technique, you might be able to shave a couple more tenths. Keep in mind that track conditions and atmosphere are huge factors too.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:38 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Not sure it would have made a huge difference but maybe taking the roof rail cross bars off would help, plus if you have a spare, take that out, tools and anything taking up weight inside. I remember taking my brothers car once and we took out the seats other than his and put them in my truck when he did his runs lol
Old 11-28-2018, 06:09 PM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks like you had a decent launch. At that point it's all about Pwr to weight. So either get a tune or loose some weight (spare tire, roof rails, seats, floor matts, etc).
Old 11-29-2018, 09:38 AM
the head
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

It's fun - I've done it. These don't launch well so a lot of cars will get the holeshot start on you but it's fun running them down. I need to go again now that the air is cooler.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:54 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

thanks for the input guys! ha yeah I had a whole Rola roof basket up there but I did at least take that off first! I left the spare in and everything. It was quite cool that day (for florida) like 45-50ish I believe.

Quick Reply: Going to the drag strip?