Sponsored By:

Strange humming noise from center console

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 08:53 AM
Dave Villalba
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange humming noise from center console

Greetings, I am a new member to the forum, I have owned multiple Porches over the years and recently purchased a 2011 958 Cayenne Hybrid. I had the car looked over by Porsche Fremont pre purchase and they gave it a clean bill of health. I drove the car home without any incident and went to drive it the next morning and noticed a strange noise coming from the center console. It sounded alot like the noise an ungrounded Amp makes, or like air being restricted. I noticed it getting worse so took it in and me and the mechanic confirmed that it was air con related and in the center console. It doesn't happen when I keep the ac off ND start the car and drive without it being on. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I think it's a faulty air diverted of some kind in the middle console. Any help or suggestions.

Thanks Dave.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:03 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

I know my ventilated seats sometimes make me think the sun roof or one of the rear windows are cracked open or one of the rear vents is mostly closed. It’s an air rushing by type sound over my right shoulder that sounds like it comes from the center of the car or the backseat. Any chance that might be what you are hearing or is it definitely related to AC?

You might check the rear vents and make sure they are fully opened or fully closed.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:59 PM
Dave Villalba
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
I know my ventilated seats sometimes make me think the sun roof or one of the rear windows are cracked open or one of the rear vents is mostly closed. It’s an air rushing by type sound over my right shoulder that sounds like it comes from the center of the car or the backseat. Any chance that might be what you are hearing or is it definitely related to AC?

You might check the rear vents and make sure they are fully opened or fully closed.
Thanks for the reply, I have tried adjusting air flow and turning air on and off. It is definitely coming from under the center console and I am 90% sure it's climate control related. I need to get ahold of something that breaks down if there is a air relay that could be stuck partially open.
Old 07-18-2024, 04:49 PM
Tarek9xx
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I know this is an old post, but forever relevant. I was wondering if you've solved this issue, as I'm observing the same problem, and trying to see if it's related to other A/C issues I'm having. The hum was noticed upon shutting off everything, but seems to stop after a few minutes of shutting down the engine.
Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: Strange humming noise from center console