Sponsored By:

Clear coat cracking on all rims - 2013 Cayenne Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 10:30 PM
Solkeeper
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear coat cracking on all rims - 2013 Cayenne Turbo

Wondering if anyone has seen this before.

Purchased a CPO Cayenne Turbo last year but the clear coat on rims seems to be cracking. This is happening on all four rims. Not curb rash since the cracks are very high towards the center.

Can this be fixed?
Will the dealership cover it under CPO since it seems to be a defect in the finish?

Last edited by Solkeeper; 08-17-2018 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Images didn’t show.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:00 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

This happened to me years ago on an old '06 CS that I had purchased from a dealer as a CPO. First car wash and the paint started peeling off in large pieces and showing a black undercoat. Long story short, the dealer had refinished the wheels before putting it up for sale. They did in fact repair all four wheels under warranty, not once but twice for the same reason. For some reason the paint would never adhere properly. Probably poor preparation prior to coating. Definitely take it back and ask them to address the issue. I bet their CPO record will show they had it repainted under their watch. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:34 PM
Solkeeper
3rd Gear

Good go know. Will take it to the dealership to get it repaired under warranty.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:09 PM
WheelEnhancement
Former Vendor

Those wheels are originally machined and clear coated. They are near impossible to replicate. People usually polish or paint them when they are scratched and cleared over that. Most likely that is what was done in CPO prep.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:54 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by WheelEnhancement
Those wheels are originally machined and clear coated. They are near impossible to replicate.
Much the same with repaired/refinished leather. Never quite the same or as durable.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:10 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CPO warranty does not cover visual defects that do not affect the vehicles function so good luck getting that covered. As mentioned already its likely someone tried to refinish your wheels and thats what you're seeing flaking or peeling off. You may be able to get the dealer to pay to refinish them again (hopefully by someone more talented) but they would be out of their mind to cover them under warranty.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:05 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

PTEC is probably right now that I think back to when they refinished mine. I believe they had their local shop redo the work that they had originally done before putting it on the lot for sale. It probably cost them nothing to have my wheels refinished which is why they were so willing to help me out. Either way, it's an easy thing for the dealer to work out to maintain goodwill. The original shop will generally redo the wheels to stay in the dealer's good graces in order to get future work.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:35 PM
Solkeeper
3rd Gear

Working with the dealership on this issues. Will let everyone know where this goes for future reference. Seems like it will depend on how much the dealership cares about customer service.

Quick Reply: Clear coat cracking on all rims - 2013 Cayenne Turbo