Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 11:11 AM
assyrianme
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In Chicago, it is a $1 difference in fuels. $20 extra every tank. And they only have 93 in all stations. I guess you could fill half the tank with 87 and half with 93. That is still a $10 a tank savings.
The following users liked this post:
Bassman37 (01-14-2020)
Old 08-23-2018, 11:32 AM
whitecayenneS
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my opinion:

If you're driving on the open highway at legal speeds and small throttle openings your engine will operate just fine. It doesn't know the octane of the gasoline. If you're a traveling businessperson and don't floor it or climb long mountain inclines on hot days - run 87, you'll save a few bucks and your engine won't be any dirtier or hotter or cooler or happier.

If on the other hand you use the turbos, it's a hot day, or you're loaded up for vacation, or you're into driving fast and accelerating hard - run 91 and your knock sensors won't adjust the timing and reduce your power. That's it.

I've run 87 octane in motorcycle engines with 13.5:1 compression ratio, on the open road at 75 mph, for hour after hour, and never suffered any engine problems. But I wasn't getting into the throttle or going up mountain grades on a hot day.

The point is: you will not destroy your engine just by grabbing the wrong hose at the gas station. There's nothing "Premium" about Premium gasoline except the price and octane.
The following users liked this post:
Bassman37 (01-14-2020)
Old 08-23-2018, 04:16 PM
genebopp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2014 base. I have tried 87 and 93 to see what happens. My ride to work is 30 miles and there is generally no traffic or traffic lights. While running 87 octane there is a chance that I get 1 less mile per gallon, but I am not even sure. Using the average read out on the screen to the right of the tach. With a tank for of 93 i usually score just under 25 mpg. With a tank of 87 it is in the high 23 mpg. Again, I am not sure,there could have just been a wind from the south on the days I got 23. or maybe the airconditioning was working a little harder those days.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:34 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by whitecayenneS
There's nothing "Premium" about Premium gasoline except the price and octane.
In general terms, premium/higher octane fuel has a lower flashpoint, thereby helping to prevent pre-ignition in motors with higher cylinder pressures/higher compression. That's why putting higher octane fuels in vehicles not engineered for it can actually be less efficient, although it'll run okay and do no actual harm.

My approach is simply this, I've paid the price for a Porsche, I run what the manufacturer engineers specify...the price difference between a tank of premium versus a tank of regular is really minimal in the grand scheme of things. I see no reason to over-analyze this stuff, but that's me. YMMV (literally in this case).

Quick Reply: gas