Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel throttle hesitation from stop.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 05:58 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Diesel throttle hesitation from stop.

Lately I've noticed a rather severe throttle hesitation from a dead stop.. Seems to be happening more when it's hot out. Notice it mostly when trying to pull out from a side street into traffic. Truck will barley accelerate for the first second or two and then surge ahead. Anyone else having this issue? Not sure if it's a fix related issue as I bought this after the fix was applied.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:10 PM
Mawgie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine can be a little boggy in first gear from a stop. There is just no power at idle, so you roll out from a stop and get nothing, then boost hits and you get everything in a rush, then you hit the 4500 rpm redline all too soon. A little bit of a hot mess! Additionally, I think "the bogs" have to do with the the transmission being mapped for comfortable motoring, rather than performance.

I have paddles in mine, and the best everyday use result for somewhat brisk acceleration from a stop -short of brake standing the truck with a floored accelerator- seems to be: Sport Mode/Manual shift/1st gear. 3/4 throttle from a stop or so, then pull the paddle to shift at around 2500 rpm. By the time the definitely not a PDK transmission actually executes the shift, the tach has swept to about 3000 rpms.

I have been seriously considering a Malone tune for better off idle, low rev performance, but in reading the Touraeg TDI forum pages for Malone reviews, I am not presently convinced it will help too much at low rpms. A transmission remap would, I think, be of great utility, but from what I have read, there currently aren't any available.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:57 AM
Pwilliams
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

This is the only thing I do not like about my ‘16 diesel.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:39 PM
Gptoyz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I noticed that after the diesel recall fixes on our CDs (we have 2) that they did behave a little turbo laggier

do you leave the sport off? with the sport button on it's a bit more responsive

also, has anyone tried a ECU/Throttle reset? those use to rejuvenate euro cars that had learned to be tame
The following users liked this post:
carlvs (08-13-2019)
Old 08-14-2018, 07:04 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

Mine was really bad, then it threw a check engine light. Dealer replaced the EGT sensors, the catalytic convertor and updated the PCM software. Truck is driving much better now. Personally I don't think the "fix" software is 100% dialed in and suspect we'll either see several more revisions coming out or Porsche will be buying our vehicles back.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:57 AM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Lag is there just have to plan for it if situation demands ... like pulling out into traffic. It is kinda strange hitting the gas pedal before you normally would.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:54 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Yes, this is somewhat common. Look in the diesel sticky thread.

Quick Reply: Diesel throttle hesitation from stop.