Sponsored By:

New OBD-II toy..

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 11:27 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts
Default New OBD-II toy..

$12 - http://a.co/5S0lQB4 - that's an Amazon link. It links to a Panlong Bluetooth OBD-II "Elm" dongle.

So what you say? Well - it is an awfully cheap way to get access to some fun apps. The apps so far are Torque (free) and DashCommand. These are Android apps (I think DashCommand also comes in an Apple phone format) that let you monitor lots of performance stuff on your vehicle. Want to do 0-60MPH runs - Torque makes that a snap. Want to do 0-60 and 0-100, or even 60-100 runs - that's more for Dash Command. Both apps have different types of indicators for things like torque, horsepower, acceleration, timed acceleration, fuel used, you name it - they've got it - with customizable displays.

I've just started playing with the two apps - and haven't done any screen captures yet. I think I really need a co-pilot for this - someone to operate the phone/app while I pay attention to driving. I can tell you my '11 CTT can do 0-60MPH in 5.4 seconds in 93F temps. That was just a single try (stopped on an entrance ramp - then nailed it.. the app did the rest.) I'm pretty sure I can get below 5 seconds with lower temps and a little more practice. DashCommand does 1/4 mile too - that might be sorta fun if I can find a deserted freeway..

I'll be reporting back, perhaps with some screen captures. I wanted to see if my boost was working like it should - and from the 0-60 time I suspect it is. It hit about 13PSI at one point - which is not far off from 1-bar. I think I just need to either clear the adaptations or stop driving it grandfatherly for a while.

Good toy. Cheap. Just need a co-pilot (not my wife - she makes noises when I do things like this..)
Old 07-12-2018, 08:34 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Interesting. 13psi sounds right on for max boost, mine would hit the same occasionally.

Your 0-60 with some heat soak and humidity is okay and not surprising, but with some more practice and better conditions, I’m certain you can break the 5 second barrier. Porsche’s official 0-60 number for the 2011 CTT is 4.4 seconds, but who the heck knows under what specific conditions?!
Old 07-12-2018, 11:32 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Interesting. 13psi sounds right on for max boost, mine would hit the same occasionally.

Your 0-60 with some heat soak and humidity is okay and not surprising, but with some more practice and better conditions, I’m certain you can break the 5 second barrier. Porsche’s official 0-60 number for the 2011 CTT is 4.4 seconds, but who the heck knows under what specific conditions?!
I was playing with it a bit tonight. It's not easy to do on public roads since you have to actually pay attention to traffic.. (the turbo moves up on other vehicles REALLY fast when my foot buries the accelerator.) Tonight I only managed an 8.4, but I had to do some swerving around to avoid running up someone's tail. I thought I left enough space to the cars ahead of me - guess not. The other hazard is - by the time I can check the speed to make sure I got past 60 - I'm doing about 80... and in NJ that can get you in trouble. I need a drag-strip to try it out on. Have to find out what it costs to run at Englishtown Raceway.

Other interesting stuff I've found - it reads out true engine coolant temperature. And my turbo - indicates 200F on the dash gauge - when I've seen 224F on the table display. That makes sense since the oil temperature, and the transmission fluid temperature are also 224F - and both use water to oil (liquid/liquid) heat exchangers - so they should match what the coolant temperature is. I can monitor HP in real time - and cruising at around 75MPH on a level road, no real wind - it takes between 2.5-20HP to move the pig along. Hit a hill and it goes up to 30 or so, hit a downhill it drops to 0. I should plot that next to instantaneous MPG and watch how they correlate.

Neat toy. I need someone to drive the turbo for me for a bit while I play with the programs. I have both DashCommandor and Torque installed - Torque is a bit easier to set up displays on - both can read a lot of data in performance areas. DashCommander has a racetrack function that uses the Android GPS to plot out the path of the race course - and then calls up Google maps in terrain mode and plots it over the Google display. I tried it just driving down the street and to a restaurant - it's accurate enough to know which lane I was in - and what parking space I parked in at the restaurant we went to (I'd turned logging on and then emailed myself the file - it's in Google Earth format.) That's sorta scary that the cell phone/tablet GPS can track you down to probably 2-3' accuracy. It also has neat features like plotting/recording/displaying G-force when cornering (uses the speed and accelerometers in the Android device), and a display for offroad - side-tilt and fore/aft tilt.

For a $11.99 toy - it's provided me with lots of enjoyment..
Old 07-13-2018, 11:41 AM
kkturbo
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a great tool for all kinds of applications. I would buy it just for towing so that I can monitor temps and torque especially during mountain climbs. I live out in the desert in California and hitting some of the steep roads can really increase engine and transmission temps. Last year I was driving up a long steep stretch of road on the I5 called the Grapevine about an hour north of Los Angeles. The OAT was in the triple digits and I was cruising about 80 up the road (headed south). The AC compressor kicked off going up this long incline because of the excessive heat buildup. I would have loved to see what my actual temps and torque were at that time. At $10.99, I will be buying this tonight. Thanks for the new toy info, Don!
Old 07-13-2018, 05:17 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Playing with it more today.. it's almost impossible to do a good launch for 0-60 times. Or to have it clear far enough ahead to do it (since the car moves up to speed SO fast..) best I could do today was 8 seconds, but all it takes is a tiny momentary hesitation to bump that number up into the double digits.

Was also looking at real coolant temperature vs what Porsche tells you. I saw 200F on the dash gauge over a range from 175F to 226F actual temperatures. So the dash lies (no surprise there..) it's setup to keep you out of the dealer for warranty claims that the engine is "running too hot.." (it actually isn't but dealerships are **** poor on explaining why to customers.) Go figure.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:15 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Playing with it more today.. it's almost impossible to do a good launch for 0-60 times. Or to have it clear far enough ahead to do it (since the car moves up to speed SO fast..) best I could do today was 8 seconds, but all it takes is a tiny momentary hesitation to bump that number up into the double digits.
It’s been a LONG time since my Camaro/Firebird days when I’d go to the track occasionally, but yeah, it doesn’t take much at all to really impact both 0-60 and 1/4 ETs. But you’ve got a lot more in your CTT than 8 second 0-60 times (at least I certainly hope so!!). 8 seconds is roughly a stock 1979 Z28 0-60 time (175 net advertised BHP), and that was considered quick for a stock Detroit car back then.....my we’ve come a long way!

Keep working at it. Try and find a local track and head down on a Friday evening. Even an 1/8 mile track would do the trick if you’re only interested mainly in your 0-60 time. But a 1/4 mile track would be even better because you’ll get a timeslip from their equipment for your 1/4 mile ET and trap speed (as well as your time/speed for other intervals). They don’t give 0-60 times though, so you’ll have to rely on your app for that.

Also maybe have a priest bless your transfer case before you go too!
Old 07-13-2018, 11:49 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Also maybe have a priest bless your transfer case before you go too!
That has been a tiny concern in the back of my mind actually. So far - it seems OK.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:59 AM
kkturbo
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just received my Panlong Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Car Diagnostic Scanner from Amazon. I have not had a chance to play with it and I look forward to seeing live data. Being that I am a Quality Engineer, I love data, especially live data!
Old 08-28-2018, 11:05 AM
heymatey
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old thread, but a thought: Don, are you brake-torquing during your 0-60 runs? That's how the manufacturers and car mags get such quick times.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:35 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by heymatey
Old thread, but a thought: Don, are you brake-torquing during your 0-60 runs? That's how the manufacturers and car mags get such quick times.
brake-torquing? Have to google it..

OK - looks the same as "launching" - and the answer is.. no. for a few reasons:

I believe the 958 is like the 955/957 that won't let you rev the engine and stomp on the brake at the same time. It was the answer to "unintended acceleration" claims. The electronic throttle body makes this easy to do in software. I'd have to check if it's still that way, but can't imagine why it wouldn't be.

I also feel this puts a LOT of stress on driveline components. People who regularly "launched" their E46/M3's tended to have the rear-subframe-mount problem - the torque was enough that the differential twists under the load, causing the mount it's to stress it's mounting points to the body that eventually crack out. Porsche does seem to build sturdier bodies - but things like all the CV joints are going to be under a lot of stress, along with the transmission and transfer case. To me, that's not desirable.

I did the run from a dead stop (on an entrance ramp..) - released the brake and as quickly as possible mashed the throttle to the floor.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:52 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

I'd be willing to bet you can apply at least a certain amount of throttle while still on the brake without triggering stuck throttle protection. Maybe like 10-15% throttle which should be enough brake boosting to get a decent clip off the 0-60 time. You aren't looking to wind the thing up to 4000RPM and side step the clutch, you just want to get the engine up on the converter and building a bit of boost.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:00 PM
heymatey
Track Day

Agree it puts a lot of stress on driveline, but it's how the fast times are achieved.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:24 AM
TXCOMT
Instructor

You won't be drag racing at Etown, sadly, Don, as the strip was shut down in January! However, you can take your turbo around the facility's road course next month...link here.

TXCOMT
Old 09-01-2018, 04:08 PM
JimboMac
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just bought the Panlong on amazon and installed the Torque app. Was able to do a 0-60 run from a stop on the parkway on ramp this morning - 4.89 secs. (2013 Cayenne Turbo). Pretty cool to be able to automatically capture that. The Torque app itself will take some time to figure out - lot of options. I’m going to check out Dash Commander as well and see the difference between the two. May get up early Sunday morning when the parkway is empty and try some runs. . . . .
Old 09-01-2018, 06:01 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by JimboMac
I just bought the Panlong on amazon and installed the Torque app. Was able to do a 0-60 run from a stop on the parkway on ramp this morning - 4.89 secs. (2013 Cayenne Turbo). Pretty cool to be able to automatically capture that. The Torque app itself will take some time to figure out - lot of options. I’m going to check out Dash Commander as well and see the difference between the two. May get up early Sunday morning when the parkway is empty and try some runs. . . . .
Cool! It is an addictive little toy. Both apps are probably worth having - even paid for. Is this being done on the Merrit? If so - I'm impressed..

Quick Reply: New OBD-II toy..