Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Check Diesel Particulate Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018 | 12:14 PM
Ticket Target
Racer

Default Check Diesel Particulate Filter

My 2013 CD has over 75,000 miles. Yesterday a (Yellow) indicator came on saying to check the Diesel Particulate Filter, so I made an appointment with my dealer to have it looked at. The appointment is for next Tuesday. This weekend I was planning on taking the car out to the central Valley, a roundtrip of about 200 miles. Has anyone had experience with this issue? Am I running the risk of being stranded by traveling too far?
thank you for your replies.
Old 06-22-2018 | 04:44 PM
DANNY MIGNOTT
1st Gear

I have just had that exact fault come up. Coincidentally I had a custom exhaust fitted 3 days ago, and expecting
the two could be related. I'll be keen to see any responses to your post.
Old 06-23-2018 | 01:15 AM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ticket Target
My 2013 CD has over 75,000 miles. Yesterday a (Yellow) indicator came on saying to check the Diesel Particulate Filter, so I made an appointment with my dealer to have it looked at. The appointment is for next Tuesday. This weekend I was planning on taking the car out to the central Valley, a roundtrip of about 200 miles. Has anyone had experience with this issue? Am I running the risk of being stranded by traveling too far?
thank you for your replies.
Just curious what type of driving you usually do. Short trips where the car doesn't really come up to temperature for a good period of time, primarily stop and go driving in the city, or longer commutes at highway speeds. I can't speak specifically to the CD but regular short trips on some of the newer American diesel trucks like the Rams absolutely kill the DPF. Basically the system never gets a good chance to enter the regen cycle and clogs up prematurely. No good repair options and the replacement on those trucks isn't cheap. In terms of what happens if you keep driving, again not sure about the CD but the Ram basically goes into limp mode to protect itself from damage. I recently read a thread where it happened to someone who was towing a large trailer with a Ram 2500. They were basically stranded in the middle of nowhere. I think they were able unhook the trailer, drive to a nearby town where they removed the DPF and back-flushed it with a pressure washer for a temporary fix. I don't recommend you do that though... I'd be interested in what your service advisor comes back with.
Old 06-23-2018 | 11:02 AM
Ticket Target
Racer

My driving is mixed. Once a week, I have a 120 mille roundtrip commute. The rest of the week it's generally short trips.
Last night I took it out to grab a bite, and the indicator reset.
Not expecting any issues on my trip today.

Quick Reply: Check Diesel Particulate Filter