Sponsored By:

If your're a dealer, cars are for selling

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 10:55 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
Default If your're a dealer, cars are for selling

I looked at a CD a month ago. It is well overpriced (in my opinion), because I looked at a similarly equipped one with same miles but a year newer (2016) at same price. The dealers are in the same area. The 2016 dealer was motivated. The sales lady called me, followed up with an email, and made an appointment for me. I went in, and looked at the CD. Ir was beautiful and loaded up....except it lacked Bose, so I didn't buy it. She introduced me to the sales manager and the used car manager (I planned to trade my 2015 CD). He had given her a number on my CD that I felt too low. When he met me, he told me that he would like to have my car, and came up $2k, which I was happy with. Until I figured out there was no Bose, I planned to make a decent and fair offer.

I made the same offer to the dealer that had the 2015...four hours later the salesman called me and said my offer wouldn't work...."List for our car and the trade in (low number ) for yours." There was no effort to negotiate at all. The CD is still there....70 days on Cargurus. I have no inclination to call back. I figured he might have called me by now, and asked if I was still interested in it. It is an independent store. The Porsche store in my hometown is owned by Sonic. If a car sits on the lot (may just be pre-owned) for either 60 or 90 days (can't remember exactly), it gets wholesaled or moved to another dealer. When that happens, the dealer doesn't get credit for the sale, and management gets penalized. Sonic basis this on the cost of money...floorplan.

70 days on the lot should give them a clue...it's overpriced. I am surprised no call at all.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:25 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Yeah, different sales practices/strategies at different dealers. The differences can be quite eye opening sometimes, and mind boggling.

Hang in there, your next CD will surface eventually, and it’ll all just come together. I sort of went through a little of the same in my recent Macan quest, but the right one with the right stuff came available at one of two P dealers I’ve purchased from before, and everything just clicked into place. Be patient.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:55 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Default You are absolutely correct

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Yeah, different sales practices/strategies at different dealers. The differences can be quite eye opening sometimes, and mind boggling.

Hang in there, your next CD will surface eventually, and it’ll all just come together. I sort of went through a little of the same in my recent Macan quest, but the right one with the right stuff came available at one of two P dealers I’ve purchased from before, and everything just clicked into place. Be patient.
I am happy you are staying with us. Your advice is exactly correct. Patience will lead me to the right car at the right time. I do want to purchase from a Porsche dealer, so I do go to their site as well as the traditional car sale web sites. I am a little concerned that I am seeing less and less diesels for sale. I do remind myself that the one I have is extremely nice, and my only motivation is that I would really like to have a luxor black interior (and lane change assist).
Old 06-21-2018, 10:52 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

I just went through this as well. Well, technically I guess I'm still going through as I haven't picked the vehicle up yet. I must say shopping for a pre-owned Porsche is the most daunting vehicle quest I've been on. The differences in options can have a staggering effect on the market value which makes it really hard to quickly reference if something is overpriced or not. Then on the diesel you have to factor in the factory warranty extension being advertised as CPO'd versus the ones that are actually covered for 8 years. On top of that most dealers seem to be playing the same game these days, price the vehicle high, stand firm on a very minimal discount, low ball any trade in and wait. Then panic and pester the crap out of prospective buyers as the vehicle moves closer to heading to auction and the price begins to drop to more realistic figures.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:11 AM
venom914
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA

Agreed, every dealership has their own strategy and also may change with shifting managers both on the sales side and the used car managers that buy and price the vehicles. Floor plan plays a part as well but if it is a nice vehicle and market is holding on a certain value, they won't necessarily discount just to discount. Obviously the main objective is to get a sale but also not loose your a** on a car either when possible. Sending certain cars to auction, dealers can certainly take a big hit, so sometimes they'd rather run the risk, keep it on lot, pay floor plan and hope for the best. Overall company size would have to play a part as well as smaller dealerships wouldn't want to tie up too much money for too long if the car's aren't selling.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:18 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You forgot the last part of your thread title. “If you’re a dealer cars are for selling AT the HIGHEST POSSIBLE PROFIT. Any seller of any kind is at no obligation to sell you anything. You may have decided it’s overpriced but someone may walk in there tomorrow and pay full asking price. It’s their gamble to make. They obviously think they can get a higher price for it. Also to compare a dealer part of a billion dollar dealership group and a independently owned dealer is apples to oranges.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:56 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Default Yes but

Originally Posted by PTEC
You forgot the last part of your thread title. “If you’re a dealer cars are for selling AT the HIGHEST POSSIBLE PROFIT. Any seller of any kind is at no obligation to sell you anything. You may have decided it’s overpriced but someone may walk in there tomorrow and pay full asking price. It’s their gamble to make. They obviously think they can get a higher price for it. Also to compare a dealer part of a billion dollar dealership group and a independently owned dealer is apples to oranges.
But today we have the power of the internet which gives us a good idea of what like kind of vehicles are selling for (in the same city, state, region, etc). We also get to see how many days the car has been on a site like Cargurus. The saying came from my Caterpillar dealer days.We used to say "tractors are for selling not for keeping." A car is just like a house...if it is sitting for sale too long, it's overpriced. Somebody might come along and pay them exactly what they are asking, but how long does a dealer principal want to pay for that option, because money is not free. It's a gamble, but from a business perspective, I'd look at the market, and know my reality. Thinking they can get a higher price is just that. So far, they haven't been able to do it.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:39 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

As a side note, I have BOSE in my 991 and the upgraded (not Bose) in the CD. I know there is a difference but it is not a huge gulf. Maybe you should take a second look at the non-Bose CD

See a discussion here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...pcm-audio.html
Old 06-22-2018, 10:46 AM
venom914
Instructor

Sites like cargurus, cars . com, kbb, etc are good tools but the accuracy is sometimes off. Dealerships usually have programs that show auction and other dealerships inventory, what it is selling for, how they have been changing prices, and what they have ACTUALLY sold for. The internet has definitely changed the way people buy cars forever, but it has also changed the way that dealerships handle and use the information as well. Works both ways. When a customer shows their hand and a dealer knows they want certain options, colors, features etc. and they know they are the only lot with that model for a 200 mile radius, they'll usually hold firm.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:52 PM
Mawgie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread. I am in the hunt for a 2015 to 2016, and PorscheUSA.com shows a wide range in pricing for similarly equipped cars. The dealers I have contacted so far have one of two things: 1) a high mileage, single owner CD; or 2) Stop Sale CDs that were rolled into the service loaner fleet and never sold. As you would expect, the service fleet cars uniformly show dings and wear around the tailgate from carefree loading and unloading.

Pricing is inconsistent, and I can't figure out why. A similarly equipped and roughly the same mileage 2015 and 2016 are priced $9000 apart?

Anyway, FWIW, I had my bodyshop guy look at a test drive CD I took home to check for garage fit, and he quoted $300 cash to repaint most of the rear bumper to OEM grade.....
Old 06-22-2018, 07:09 PM
venom914
Instructor

Dealer's also price according to condition to a certain degree. If they truly have a perfect, blemish free car, they can justify their higher price. Dealers that have a crazy low price comparably may be missing some important equipment like manuals, mats, trunk liners, window sticker and KEYS, not to mention scuffs, dings, scratches etc. I would ask to make sure it comes with all factory equipment and all listed on the sticker. I would like to believe most Porsche brand dealers wouldn't try to slide one by us like that but overall they are still car dealers and if its traded in or bought at a sale without equipment, it costs them more to buy it ahead of time so why not try to sell it without at first. A CD with a repainted bumper would be alright in my opinion but wouldn't want any repainting on a 911 or those type of P cars. Paint meters are your friend...If you don't have one, ask the dealer to run a paint meter around it because their used car department definitely would have one.

Last edited by venom914; 06-22-2018 at 07:13 PM. Reason: just cause
Old 06-23-2018, 04:40 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Default Same Market

Originally Posted by venom914
Sites like cargurus, cars . com, kbb, etc are good tools but the accuracy is sometimes off. Dealerships usually have programs that show auction and other dealerships inventory, what it is selling for, how they have been changing prices, and what they have ACTUALLY sold for. The internet has definitely changed the way people buy cars forever, but it has also changed the way that dealerships handle and use the information as well. Works both ways. When a customer shows their hand and a dealer knows they want certain options, colors, features etc. and they know they are the only lot with that model for a 200 mile radius, they'll usually hold firm.
I'm looking at asking prices....same year diesel Cayennes, all dealer within a 30 miles radius, similar equipped cars, similar miles, and the difference in price is about 5k. This is also looking at dealer websites.

Quick Reply: If your're a dealer, cars are for selling