Sponsored By:

Success in using VW parts for adding hitch

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 03:05 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Success in using VW parts for adding hitch

Wasn't really sure where to post this as there are multiple threads about adding aftermarket hitches and suggestions to also add in the control module/wiring so here's what I did and what worked.

I recently added a Draw-Tite hitch to my 2011 CS with the primary intent to use as bike rack mounting point. However I then decided to add the wiring and control module and get things coded. Being frugal I noticed there were a lot of the 7P0907383F modules on the used market but little evidence they'd work with the Cayenne as they were ostensibly a Touareg part. However Eskimo1 posted that his Cayenne was factory equipped with an 'F' module so I decided to take the plunge. I found a take-off set of the wiring harness and control module and snagged it for less than the cost of just a new wiring harness. It wasn't overly difficult to install with the only revelation being that it's not necessary to completely remove the side panel if you don't have a CD changer as the module fits in the area behind the access panel. Also, I did have to trim the plastic around the mounting bracket for the trailer plug on the bumper a bit so I used a box cutter and took my time after rough cutting it with a Dremel.

I had the dealer do the module coding today and that took all of 30 minutes and less than $100. As far as I can tell it's working but I only have a 4-wire tester to confirm. I do get the message about Start/Stop being disabled when the car detects something's plugged into the connector so I'm pretty sure it's working. I used my iCarScan but it's unable to communicate with the trailer module. Not sure if that's normal or not.

Anyway, what this seems to mean, at least in my case, is that it's possible to use the VW parts - which wind up being much more cost effective the the Porsche labelled parts. There's even a complete VW kit for under $400 MSRP - just add the hitch. The same kit can be found at times on eBay for under $300.

All in all I wound up spending under $500 for a complete hitch install including the hitch, wiring harness, control module & coding as well as some miscellaneous parts.
The following users liked this post:
lml999 (03-11-2022)
Old 04-20-2018, 05:42 PM
Elberoth
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Great piece of info.

Our cars are made of parts liberally sourced from vast Audi/VW (and sometimes even Seat) parts bins. My mechanic always jokes that Cayenne is not a real Porsche - but rather, a VW in disguise.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:58 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Glad it worked out for you, Tom!

If you have Lane Change Assist, you'll also see a message about that being disabled when plugged in. (Don't forget to turn it back on when you disconnect!)
Old 04-23-2018, 04:17 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

I figured I couldn't go wrong in trying the 'F part since the price of the used wiring harness + control module was a good deal. Though the real clincher was seeing it had been used as a factory install. I guess I would have been out the cost of the coding if it didn't work but I should have been able to recoup some of that by selling the module.

I've plugged in a 7-pin tester but not seen anything about the LCA being disabled - only the Stop/Start functionality. I didn't actually drive with the tester in place so maybe that's why. In any event I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:45 AM
m0ther
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tom M
There's even a complete VW kit for under $400 MSRP - just add the hitch. The same kit can be found at times on eBay for under $300
Any idea if this also fits 958.2's?
Old 05-29-2018, 12:53 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by m0ther
Pretty sure the answer is "no" as it's my understanding that they changed the pin out for the control module based on a discussion with a dealer.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:38 PM
m0ther
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M
Pretty sure the answer is "no" as it's my understanding that they changed the pin out for the control module based on a discussion with a dealer.
Thanks again and bummer. I was hoping that because Suncoast offers the one kit for 11-18 the electronics portion might be the same.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:07 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Thanks again and bummer. I was hoping that because Suncoast offers the one kit for 11-18 the electronics portion might be the same.
You might call them and ask the question to see what they say. I'm guessing they price the "kit" and then assemble what's needed based on the VIN.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:25 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Tom can confirm, but my 2016 had the same part number on the module as the one he ordered..
The following users liked this post:
lml999 (03-11-2022)
Old 05-31-2018, 07:10 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
Tom can confirm, but my 2016 had the same part number on the module as the one he ordered..
That's correct. I was referring to the very latest control module so it may be year specific.

Quick Reply: Success in using VW parts for adding hitch