Sponsored By:

2015 Cayenne S - Start Stop not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 01:04 AM
element
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 2015 Cayenne S - Start Stop not working

Start stop doesn't want to work on our normal daily short trips - conditions not right? BUT on 2hr+ road trips it starts working all the time.. its sensitive - if it kicks in and the motor stops it feels like any movement in the car makes it turn on again..

How is everyone else's working? or not.. how sensitive?

Dealer said there are no codes etc reported and its just sensitive - I have a hard time believing that is the quality level of a Porsche feature.

I need to do another durametric scan as some body control modules were reporting stuff.. but no warnings - ill do that and post.

phil.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:02 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,047 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by element
Start stop doesn't want to work on our normal daily short trips - conditions not right? BUT on 2hr+ road trips it starts working all the time.. its sensitive - if it kicks in and the motor stops it feels like any movement in the car makes it turn on again..

Dealer said there are no codes etc reported and its just sensitive - I have a hard time believing that is the quality level of a Porsche feature.

I need to do another durametric scan as some body control modules were reporting stuff.. but no warnings - ill do that and post.

phil.

My start/Stop was working as designed, and recently stopped working

I noticed my battery voltage at cold stat up (before start up) is 11.6 and I am certain that is why the start stop has been disabled.

Might want to check how old your battery is and what your cold start voltage is before start up
Old 02-14-2018, 01:08 PM
Gulfstream
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's several conditions that must be met before the auto start / stop "feature" will work...operating temperature being one. The short daily commutes probably don't get the temps up enough to kick it in. My 13 pretty much acts like yours does.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:31 PM
element
Pro

My wife sent me a pic of it working showing 12.4V .. daily driving we get the oil to around 200F, so everything is warm.. just very flaky.. and when it works it's very sensitive - if you move a mm the wrong way the car starts! Next time I drive it ill collect all the data and report back.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:48 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,047 Likes on 970 Posts

My wife sent me a pic of it working showing 12.4V .. daily driving we get the oil to around 200F, so everything is warm.. just very flaky.. and when it works it's very sensitive - if you move a mm the wrong way the car starts! Next time I drive it ill collect all the data and report back.

Was it 12.4V while car was running.. or with car off and Key in 2nd position?

While car is running, my aging battery (at 11.6 with vehicle off) is at 14.8.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:15 PM
element
Pro

12.4v when it was off (SS working).. so with a green start stop logo!
Old 02-20-2018, 02:37 AM
element
Pro

My warm and running is 14.8 pretty consistent... I have a long roadtrip to whistler coming up and will see how it does then.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:16 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Why don't you get the battery checked before your trip? Troubleshooting and repair at the top of a mountain may be problematic.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:07 PM
element
Pro

Dealer did a battery check and said no issues.. will just see and maybe do a new battery swap sometime I do some work on the car.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:45 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

phil.
This is not a 'quality' issue as much as its a safety issue. The the car will not shut off the engine if its not 100% sure it will restart. How pissed would you be if stop/start killed the engine at a stop light and the car wouldn't restart and now you're stuck at an intersection with 10 angry people behind you? Many factors can prevent stop start from working, from the seat belt not being buckle to the climate control demands to the health of the battery. I would suggest you consult the owners manual.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:36 AM
Expat444
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PTEC
This is not a 'quality' issue as much as its a safety issue. The the car will not shut off the engine if its not 100% sure it will restart. How pissed would you be if stop/start killed the engine at a stop light and the car wouldn't restart and now you're stuck at an intersection with 10 angry people behind you? Many factors can prevent stop start from working, from the seat belt not being buckle to the climate control demands to the health of the battery. I would suggest you consult the owners manual.
That's exactly what mine did to me when I was using Autostart/stop, had to take key completely out of the ignition and wait a few seconds before it started, got the battery replaced and stopped using Autostart/stop.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:00 PM
element
Pro

UPDATE - 3rd time is a charm.. mentioned the feature not working on my last visit and they replaced the battery under warranty - works all the time now with no issues!

phil.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:38 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First thing I do when I get in my vehicle is disable the function. If I want to save fuel I’d buy an EV or hybrid.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:39 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by PTEC
This is not a 'quality' issue as much as its a safety issue. The the car will not shut off the engine if its not 100% sure it will restart.
Many factors can prevent stop start from working, from the seat belt not being buckle to the climate control demands to the health of the battery.
This.

I gave up on start/stop. Unlike previous models, the '17 has no option to disable it permanently. Older ones give you a menu option on the MFD, but not from '17 onward. Fortunately the folks from T-Design9 make a memory module to overcome this limitation. It passively sits on the console harness and remembers how you last set the mode. When you restart the car it mimics the button and re-sets your last selected mode. Works great and does not interfere with anything else on the data bus.

https://t-design9.com/memory_module.html
Old 11-22-2018, 08:57 AM
whitecayenneS
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish mine would stop working - then I wouldn't have to manually disable it every freakin' time I get into the car. Really bugs me. Should get the module...

Quick Reply: 2015 Cayenne S - Start Stop not working