Cayenne Sport Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 07:36 PM
Josh Weigner
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne Sport Exhaust questions

Hi all,

Not actually a Porsche owner, but looking at purchasing a preowned 2016 VW Touareg 3.6. My reason for posting here is because I used to own a Jetta VR6 and loved the sound of that engine. If I buy the Touareg, I want to make the exhaust slightly louder without being obnoxious. I've read that the Cayenne V6 exhaust is a direct bolt on to the Touareg V6. The standard Cayenne exhaust is one option, but I'm also wondering about the valved Sport Exhaust. This would be ideal for me, so I can keep it quiet for normal driving, and have it louder for spirited driving or when I just want to hear that awesome VR6 sound. What I'm wondering is how I would get the valves in the muffler to activate. I know in the Cayenne they are activated by the Sport button on the console. My first questions is, do all Cayenne's have the sport button or just ones that came equipped with the Sport Exhaust? If they all have it, I would assume that the Sport button in the Cayenne is the same (as far as the car's electronics are concerned) as putting the Touareg's shifter into Sport mode. My second question is, does anyone know how/where the valves in the exhaust connect to the car's computer? I'm hoping that if I can figure this out, plus the coding, I can install the Sport Exhaust and have it open up when I click the shifter into Sport mode. Any help or ideas on where else to look would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has a friend that works at a Porsche dealership and has experience retrofitting the Sport Exhaust that would probably be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Josh
Old 02-15-2018, 09:13 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,746 Likes on 4,292 Posts

I believe only the GTS has the valved sport exhaust, at least in the 955 and 957 generations that I'm familiar with. You're talking about 958 Cayenne generation years though, so things may be different. I believe the V8 models - S, GTS, Turbo, Turbo S all use larger diameter exhaust systems than the lesser models, so also won't be a simple bolt up if only the V8s have the valved exhaust.

All of these valved exhausts work off a vacuum solenoid. Pushing the button on the dash sends an electric signal yo the solenoid, which then creates a vacuum in the connected hoses that run to the exhaust valves, pulling them open.

If you don't want to run wires and install switches in your car, there are remote versions of aftermarket exhaust controllers available - look at Carnewal and Forza Motorsport.

Personally, I think you may be better off finding g an aftermarket valved exhaust designed for your specific make and model as sometimes exhausy ganger bracket mounts, routing around other components, etc are different, even for sibling models. Check Fabspeed, Tubi (sold through Champion), Cargraphic, and FVD.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Sport Exhaust questions