Sponsored By:

Another 2011 Turbo PASM air spring problem thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 09:31 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Another 2011 Turbo PASM air spring problem thread

I have participated in a few other threads regarding the front-right air spring losing pressure, "going up not possible" error messages, and "Chassis Control Failure (!)". I was told the air spring had an internal leak and replacing it was going to cost a mortgage payment, but I also didn't quite buy the explanation since it doesn't square up in my mind compared to the symptoms.
1. Only is a problem when it's stink'n cold out. in the -20s was the worst, but anything over about 20 an it's not a problem.
2. I would watch the vehicle 'decide' to suddenly dump all the pressure from that spring followed immediately by pumping it back up, sometimes higher than it should, only to level out again and be fine. Other times it would cycle like this a lot.
3. once in a great while, especially when outside (coming to it after work) it'll be deflated and upon approaching the vehicle it attempts to air up while continuously venting pressure.

Anyway, I took codes and came up with the following:
All Wheel Drive - AWD
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
Current Fault Codes
644 / 284:
Control position not adjustable, vehicle too high or too low
Warning Indicator Off
Test Completed This Monitoring Cycle
Test Not Failed Since Last Clear
Test Completed Since Last Clear
Not Pending DTC
Test Not Failed This Operation Cycle
Fault Passive

544 / 220:
Vent solenoid valve, ON time exceeded
Warning Indicator Off
Not Pending DTC
Fault Passive

532 / 214:
Change-over valve spring struts, ON time exceeded
Warning Indicator Off
Not Pending DTC
Fault Passive

644/220 Vent solenoid On time exceeded looks suspect, and less like a puncture or internal leak, right? I think 644/284 is probably just because it was super low at the time and non of the ride level lights were lit up. I don't have any idea about how 532/214 relates unless it is basically stating the pump is giving up because it's been running too long.

I sent the info to my dealer since I'm sure it didn't have codes last time I had it there. Thoughts?

Last edited by AGARubberDuck; 01-30-2018 at 01:38 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:20 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you get anywhere with your car?

I run my durametric and I am only getting the PASM code

Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
Current Fault Codes
644 / 284:
Control position not adjustable, vehicle too high or too low
Warning Indicator Off
Not Pending DTC
Fault Passive

I get chassis failure on the gauge cluster and "not possible" when trying to raise the car up from low. It will go to loading and back to low if I restart the car.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:41 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a known issue with the operation of the air suspension at very low temperatures. There is a reprogramming of the PASM control unit that is supposed to help in very low temps but I don't have any personal experience with that because it doesn't get cold where I live. I would want to be sure the control unit software is up to date before pursuing any costly repairs. Tell your dealer to reference technical information 4316 27/16
Old 05-16-2018, 02:21 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PTEC
There is a known issue with the operation of the air suspension at very low temperatures. There is a reprogramming of the PASM control unit that is supposed to help in very low temps but I don't have any personal experience with that because it doesn't get cold where I live. I would want to be sure the control unit software is up to date before pursuing any costly repairs. Tell your dealer to reference technical information 4316 27/16

I live in hot and sunny Florida....
Old 05-16-2018, 02:53 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turboslut
I live in hot and sunny Florida....
My suggestion was for the original poster who says his only acts up at very low temps.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:48 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the suggestion PTEC. The dealer wanted to 'try' a strut assembly to the tune of about $1800+ labor, citing an internally-leaking air spring. Presumably they won't replace just the spring. In any case, I couldn't square the symptoms to the diagnosis in my mind so I deferred the fix. Now that it is staying above freezing it hasn't been an issue. I'll definitely have the PASM unit checked out, referencing 4316 27/16. This forum is the best.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:16 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

All; Last Saturday I bought my 2013 CTT with about 65,000 miles. Love it. Resurrecting this thread with the frigid weather here in NY. I drove from NY to Pa for Thanksgiving yesterday. First long drive in the new whip. Man, I thought my 997.2 rides nice...the CTT is a joy. Wifey and kids loved it. However, when we got in the CTT this morning the temp was 17 degrees and the rear left air spring and front left were down. I lowered the truck then raised it and it came back to height. Home now and just checked again and the the left rear is low. I’m going to garage it tonight and see if it hold air in the warmer temps. Did the PASM issue ever get resolved?
Old 11-23-2018, 07:45 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,985 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Maybe the rubber o ring and shock mount contracts when cold allowing air to escape. I'll be replacing men as soon as these parts arrive. Stay tuned on my other thread.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:20 PM
onehot
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Having same issue with my 2011 ctt with 67k. Cold temperatures last few days . Chassis failure came up this morning on pasm. Seems like a common issue. Hopefully cheap fix
Old 11-23-2018, 11:16 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

I let the dealer put in a strut assembly. To no one's surprise, the issue didn't resolve. It is now getting back into the temps where it becomes a problem and I'm not sure I'm willing to put the effort (or money) into getting it figured out. On top of the annoying air spring stuff, the wifey crashed it a couple weeks back and I'm convinced it'll never drive the same - likely going to be selling but I guess I'll see what it drives like when all said and done.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:38 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Where i your old Strut? I may be interested in it.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:01 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Is this only a 2011 issue?
Old 11-24-2018, 05:25 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Had the issue with my 2013 CTT. Today with the warmer weather had no issue.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:11 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Where i your old Strut? I may be interested in it.
It's in a crate in my garage. I expected to get a new set of rings and rebuild it -worst case. I'm sure it's just fine as is. I'd sell it for a reasonable price if you're interested.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:08 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

I may be, let me get my rebuild parts in and see how that goes. Also, go to Sonnen Parts and order your parts now. There are limited supplies and after they are gone, who knows how long one will have to wait for the part. I'm currently in that position with the front right assembly and there is no ETA date for availability. My Cayenne sits in the garage while I wait on parts.

The ok thing is that I pulled the RS4 out of the garage, which I never drive and am having a blast with it till my parts arrive.

Quick Reply: Another 2011 Turbo PASM air spring problem thread