Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is it possible / easy to swap out back-up camera?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 05:21 PM
g8tor20
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Is it possible / easy to swap out back-up camera?

So, one thing I have noticed about my 13 CTT is that the backup camera is bad. Seems like every manufacturer (including my 2012 Audi Q5) had a lighter, crisper image. Maybe it's just mine, maybe it's all of them...i dunno. But mine is dark and not sharp at all.

Is it possible to buy a new camera piece that is plug and play? If this is a difficult task, I'll just keep it and deal with it. But just curious if that has crossed anybody else's mind.

Thanks!

Jason
Old 01-15-2018, 06:33 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by g8tor20
So, one thing I have noticed about my 13 CTT is that the backup camera is bad. Seems like every manufacturer (including my 2012 Audi Q5) had a lighter, crisper image. Maybe it's just mine, maybe it's all of them...i dunno. But mine is dark and not sharp at all.

Is it possible to buy a new camera piece that is plug and play? If this is a difficult task, I'll just keep it and deal with it. But just curious if that has crossed anybody else's mind.

Thanks!

Jason

ANYTHING is possible.. especially if money is no object
Old 01-15-2018, 07:27 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, i had a friend who did this.
Ordered backup camera that was similar size online, to his liking. Purchased a soldering kit. Removed oem camera, place the new camera, soldered wires to module. Beautiful crisp picture. 1 hour process from start to finish from what i recall.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:49 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
Yes, i had a friend who did this.
Ordered backup camera that was similar size online, to his liking. Purchased a soldering kit. Removed oem camera, place the new camera, soldered wires to module. Beautiful crisp picture. 1 hour process from start to finish from what i recall.
Wish there was pics of some sort of background on what he did. I would do this.. i never liked the quality of th oem camera.. my buddys X5 kills it in screen clarity
Old 01-18-2018, 11:08 AM
g8tor20
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. Too bad it doesn't sound easy to swap. I'll just continue to deal with it.

Even a 2017 Cayenne loaner I had was crisp and clear.

Wonder if it has to do with the Tsunami back in the day. IIRC, that event completely disrupted the supply chain for back up cameras for VW. Perhaps they went to a different supplier for a year or two. Who knows...either way it sucks having such a nice car with a crappy camera. Even my friend's Kia Sorrento is bright, crisp and clear :/
Old 01-18-2018, 11:17 AM
TXCOMT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, OP, did you try discussing a fix with your P dealer or indy shop? I'm not sure they'd be of much help, but it never hurts to ask.

TXCOMT
Old 01-18-2018, 02:19 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

OP. It's very easy. If you want an oem camera. Go to Porsche parts dealer, buy the new camera module for 2017/18 cars. Soldier on. Hell i bet it's probably straight plug and play. I can parallel park within a inch of the curb w/ out curbing so to me this camera thing is no big deal or else i would volunteer to do this for you. Plus i never drive the car, it's my wife who drives our Cayenne and she has not complaint about the camera.

Quick Reply: Is it possible / easy to swap out back-up camera?