Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Trade Cayenne Turbo for MB E63 AMG Wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 12:05 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,080 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
It's all about managing unpleasant surprises. Sure, depreciation sucks but it's a manageable factor. Likewise warranties. If you know going in there will be coverage against surprises you're often willing to overlook the true numbers. You get your shiny new thing now and have the potential for less stress worrying about sudden repair expenses. Conversely, if you're willing to gamble and prepared to pay out the repair costs it may make sense to you to buy used. It's all about managing the surprises. The important thing to understand with vehicles at this price point is their repair costs have the potential to be eye-wateringly-expensive. If you've got the stomach for that then deals can certainly be found.

I will give you one example (and trust me there are PLENTY of them)

My 958 originally sold for $103-ish (assuming original owner got a deal on $109K sticker )

It was traded in after 3.6 yrs and 51K miles. I purchased the car for a less than 50% of what I assumed original owner paid. Depreciation of $55,000+ over 3.6 yrs isn't a manageable factor, its down right stupid. No repair in the next 4-5 yrs will cost $55,000. We aren't even talking about what the original owner got in trade in.. Thats close to $1000 a month of depreciation. over a $1 a mile driven.

Those who want the new and shiny all the time should do exactly as they please, regardless of cost. but arguing the decision as a cost effective one may be a stretch to say the least.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:22 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
:Those who want the new and shiny all the time should do exactly as they please, regardless of cost. but arguing the decision as a cost effective one may be a stretch to say the least.
We can disagree without being insulting. What's stupid to you isn't to others. Look at it this way, if not for the people that want to own new there'd be no bargains for the cheapskates, right? Move along now.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:37 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wkearney99
We can disagree without being insulting. What's stupid to you isn't to others. Look at it this way, if not for the people that want to own new there'd be no bargains for the cheapskates, right? Move along now.
I think my phrasing and choice of words led you to take it personally, no offense was intended. We can agree to disagree

As for your cheapskate comment.. well, you said it best at the beginning of your post

moving along indeed
Old 01-07-2018, 04:40 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree that the depreciation cost is far more than any out of warranty repairs over the near future. If I in fact sold or traded it in for the number the dealer allowed I would experience almost $1.25 per mile. I think part of my desire to change is just for change itself. I've had the Cayenne going on six years and just have the itch. I really liked the ride, room and AMG motor of the E63 with it's intoxicating exhaust note and phenomenal torque. But it can't tow and has little ground clearance so it is actually less practical where I live. Thanks to everyone for helping me go through this mental exercise. Consider my itch scratched.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:12 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by john weires
I agree that the depreciation cost is far more than any out of warranty repairs over the near future. If I in fact sold or traded it in for the number the dealer allowed I would experience almost $1.25 per mile. I think part of my desire to change is just for change itself. I've had the Cayenne going on six years and just have the itch. I really liked the ride, room and AMG motor of the E63 with it's intoxicating exhaust note and phenomenal torque. But it can't tow and has little ground clearance so it is actually less practical where I live. Thanks to everyone for helping me go through this mental exercise. Consider my itch scratched.
I love the cayenne, i chose it after a very long and well thought out process. that said, the E63 AMG wagon is a very special car. I would take it over the cayenne, no question
Old 01-08-2018, 01:16 PM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the E63 wagon, have driven one, and have looked for a fitting used one to buy. The only strike against it for me is it's inability to tow. I bought a 16 CPO cayenne turbo last September. Compared to Cayenne turbo pricing, the AMG wagon seems like quite a bargain: I considered buying one new at $115k to $120k, but the versatility of the Cayenne still has it beat for me. Don't get me wrong, I still perk up when I see a Merc wagon and check to see if it's an AMG.
I'm not sure I have a point other than I think both vehicles are good options and the decision between them may come down to intended use and as mentioned ground clearance.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:49 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts

I've always like Mercedes wagons. I don't know that I'd bother getting a performance variant though. I'd be more inclined to get a diesel one. That is were my wife not dead-set opposed to a wagon. No idea why, but it's a not a hill I'd die on to argue against.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:37 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Race Car

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks like the OP is OK with the depreciation. I think the AMG wagon looks great, and you can't deny the performance of their engines they are hooligan machines! I wouldn't want to own a newer one out of warranty, even more so then a Porsche. Mercedes makes much of their technology and tools proprietery to keep you hooked to the dealer.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:57 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,272 Likes on 619 Posts

I was cross-shopping E63 wagon and Cayenne Turbo. Ended up with Cayenne mostly because of e63s poor ride quality on uneven roads (or in general) and ease of damage to wheels and tires due to very low profile tires and inability to go with smaller wheels for higher profile tires. Another negative was lack of rear hitch for towing and/or bike rack. E63 is a much more sporty car, though.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:49 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Better the devil you know.
As long as repair are less than a car payment, keep it.
Warranty? I have extended Warranty on my X5. It has been off the road in 2017 for non maintenance issues for 31 days last year.
2016? 108 days. One perticular service experience, after a 58 day engine replacement. I commented that my car was returned rinsed, but not clean.
The service manager said to me " right now I just want to punch you in the face".
I look forward to my car not being tied to an OEM dealership repair.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:31 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Wow, how did you respond to that, BIG smoke? Hopefully he was kidding!
Old 01-10-2018, 05:45 PM
TXCOMT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Better the devil you know.
As long as repair are less than a car payment, keep it.
Warranty? I have extended Warranty on my X5. It has been off the road in 2017 for non maintenance issues for 31 days last year.
2016? 108 days. One perticular service experience, after a 58 day engine replacement. I commented that my car was returned rinsed, but not clean.
The service manager said to me " right now I just want to punch you in the face".
I look forward to my car not being tied to an OEM dealership repair.
I'd be looking forward to the day my car was not being...in my garage, in my driveway, on my street, heck, even in my ZIP code, considering all the trouble it has been!

TXCOMT

Last edited by TXCOMT; 01-16-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:35 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 576 Posts

AMGs over engineered and NOT reliable......you will be a regular at the shop.........$$$$$

Quick Reply: Trade Cayenne Turbo for MB E63 AMG Wagon?