Sponsored By:

Missing grid lines on backup camera Cayenne Turbo 2013

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 09:10 PM
JimboMac
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Missing grid lines on backup camera Cayenne Turbo 2013

I recently purchased a 2013 Cayenne Turbo front the dealer and had them install a backup camera. The original buyer did not include that option. The camera works but there are no guidelines on the screen. The configuration options to turn that on/off make no difference. The dealer replaced the PCM unti (after waiting 2 weeks to receive it from Germany) but that didn't solve the problem. Now they opened a PTech(?) with Porsche he because they can't figure it out. Anyone have this experience or have any suggestions?
Old 09-15-2017, 11:13 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by JimboMac
I recently purchased a 2013 Cayenne Turbo front the dealer and had them install a backup camera. The original buyer did not include that option. The camera works but there are no guidelines on the screen. The configuration options to turn that on/off make no difference. The dealer replaced the PCM unti (after waiting 2 weeks to receive it from Germany) but that didn't solve the problem. Now they opened a PTech(?) with Porsche he because they can't figure it out. Anyone have this experience or have any suggestions?
Hmm, no... I was going to suggest the configuration option to enable the guide lines, but I see you tried that to no avail. That's what I had to do with my CTT when I first got it.

You mentioned the dealer installed the backup camera.... I thought the Turbo models came standard with the backup camera, but apparently not (?). I'm thinking there's some PCM software/firmware update they forgot which would enable the guide line feature?
Old 09-27-2017, 09:10 PM
JimboMac
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Factory option not available after initial config?

Dealer told me that the full original camera config is not available from Porsche as a dealer installed option. So the camera they installed when I bought my 2013 Turbo was Porsche OEM but unable to display grid lines. You can’t get the grid lines unless the camera is installed at the factory. Sounds weird.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:24 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I thought turbos have backup camera as standard equipment but guess not. Your dealer probably installed this which is also what I have.

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT375/pcm31-xg-cam.html

My CD came with parking sensors only and I wanted a backup camera. Researched the heck out of it. The gridlines are generated from the PCM and is coded. Not sure you can change the coding or Porsche will allow different coding to be applied to the VIN from its original factory's options package.

Pannys and 911s have gridlines from Navtv because it is painted on the camera lens itself.

I would love to be proven wrong so can hook up a durametric and turn this feature on..
Old 09-28-2017, 01:51 AM
MIK911
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I researched this in the past, not with OEM, but with NavTV products. I spoke to Del Rey Customs, and they COULD include the grid lines, plus extra $$ to get the 'dynamic' (i.e. moving) grid lines.

There's another place here in L.A. that does the same:

I ended up not doing anything, as with dynamic grid lines (only way I'd like it), it would've ended up being $1600+, which I cheaped out on.

Give 'em a call. Maybe they can help you out
Old 09-28-2017, 09:47 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

^ The first youtube backup camera do not have gridlines. The second video gridlines are painted on the backup camera lens like the option offered for pannys and 911s.

Porsche backup dynamic backup lines take sensor feeds from steering inputs and provides angle turns and paths to where the vehicle will go like below.

https://youtu.be/t1yHNyNy6Zg

Quick Reply: Missing grid lines on backup camera Cayenne Turbo 2013