Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 958 Turbo Rear Main Seal Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 01:24 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

Can yo post up a picture of why you thought RMS?
Old 02-08-2023, 02:02 PM
Versace
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ofcourse!!

Old 02-08-2023, 03:51 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,728 Posts

Wow, great pictures. I can see the oil above the bottom of the transmission so I would have looked to the back of the engine, valve covers, vacuum pump and and cracked lines. On the up side, at least you got a new RMS and that 's a good thing.

If that's a picture of your old RMS, it look dry.

I too have that leak but it's not wet, like yours, above the weep hole. I just changed the oil about two weeks ago and installed some stop leak, forget the brand but it's in another thread on this site. Sincen I just got my arm brace off yesterday, I'll try to get under the car this week and see if this stop leak worked for me. My wife is forbidding me to go into the garage, she's adamant that I don't F up the arm again, which was a torn rotator cuff and a torn bicep from a surfing accident.
Old 02-08-2023, 03:58 PM
Versace
Intermediate

The Cayenne TT was diagnosed with the bad RMS so I didn´t think a lot about it and did the job. It is a bit of a PITA, but it is totally doable without removing the engine. It is a two man job! The only tricky part is removing the Torque Converter bolts and removing / positioning the gearbox for reinstallation that it sits flush with the bell housing.
I have to remove the Gearbox once again, because of a jerky upshift on maintenance throttle between 3rd and 4th gear, I have replaced the Valve Body with a brand new original unit without luck. It seems that a clutch pack is worn or a pressure issue, but the gearbox shop will sort this out. I just hope I find the darn oil leak! It is also leaking from the lower oil pan and a bit from the timing cover but not that it would drip. The car has as immaculate Porsche history from the day one, but now I will not service it there anymore, the prices are absurd and the diagnosis not that good as you can tell from the non-leaking RMS that was diagnosed bad.

Last edited by Versace; 02-08-2023 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-23-2023, 12:45 AM
Ctt12
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Versace, did you find out where the leak is from ?
Old 09-23-2023, 04:37 AM
Versace
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ctt12
Versace, did you find out where the leak is from ?
Yes. It was the head gasket in the end and leaking everywhere from the timing cover. After removal of the heads, there was obvious that the car had an early stage of bore scoring (the oil consumption was zero at the moment) so the block was sleeved. Many many euros later, the car drives and feels like new again.
- new piston rings
- resealed engine
- chain tensioners and guides
- water pump and numerous hoses and fittings
- new vacuum lines
-….
Old 09-23-2023, 12:32 PM
Ctt12
AutoX

Originally Posted by Versace
Yes. It was the head gasket in the end and leaking everywhere from the timing cover. After removal of the heads, there was obvious that the car had an early stage of bore scoring (the oil consumption was zero at the moment) so the block was sleeved. Many many euros later, the car drives and feels like new again.
- new piston rings
- resealed engine
- chain tensioners and guides
- water pump and numerous hoses and fittings
- new vacuum lines
-….
what about the " jerky upshift on maintenance throttle between 3rd and 4th gear" .

Did you find out what the problem was with that ?
Old 09-23-2023, 12:41 PM
Ctt12
AutoX

Originally Posted by Texas993
Shop cleaned it up - top to bottom. And again confirmed it was a RMS leak. Could not find anything at the top of the engine after a few hundred miles. I'll keep checking and post up my results.

I did put it up on my lift over the weekend and see the leak out of the bottom of the crankcase. At this point, fixing it isn't worth the cost($3500 at dealer). If it gets worse, I might address it. I'll let the Lubro Moly work a while longer and perhaps use it again on the next oil change.
Hi Texas993

Did you ever fix this or find out where the leak is coming from ?
Old 09-23-2023, 04:58 PM
Versace
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ctt12
what about the " jerky upshift on maintenance throttle between 3rd and 4th gear" .

Did you find out what the problem was with that ?
Replaced the mechatronic unit/valve body, but still, no improvement. I think we should replace friction plates inside the gearbox.
Old 09-23-2023, 05:56 PM
Ctt12
AutoX

I have the same problem and I've read that this could be caused by the transfer case. Did you service your transfer case or got it checked out?
Old 09-23-2023, 05:59 PM
Versace
Intermediate

Just remove the front driveshaft from the Transfer Case…. If it makes a difference, it is the TC.

Last edited by Versace; 09-24-2023 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-27-2024, 11:36 PM
958TurboS
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately adding myself to this thread. Getting under the car today for maintenance, I noticed I have the same exactly leak/issue.

Looks like there's no real consensus on the root cause yet?

Old 01-28-2024, 03:39 AM
Versace
Intermediate

There could be many causes for this…. Start by removing the intake manifold.
Old 01-28-2024, 11:33 AM
958TurboS
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Versace
There could be many causes for this…. Start by removing the intake manifold.
Thanks. I'm going to start with cleaning everything, doing an oil change, and putting in a can of the Liqui-Moly Oil Saver. Then monitor and go from there.

Go straight to taking off the intake manifold seems little rash.
Old 01-28-2024, 11:59 AM
Versace
Intermediate

That is one of the most basic things you can do.
Do not put any additives in your motor oil, especialy not the ones that change the properties of your oil (viscosity, etc…). There is no magic oil or additive that can cure a mechanical problem. You have an Alusil engine, use only recommended oil!

Quick Reply: 2011 958 Turbo Rear Main Seal Leak