Smoking tail lights and a few mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 12:02 AM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Smoking tail lights and a few mod questions

Hey Fellas

Today marks 1 month I have owned my Cayenne and its awesome I have a few plans for it which ill mention at the end of this post. I want to smoke my tail lights

I googled around I saw a few pics from Suncoast and Laminix but I have a tinter who is a perfectionist who i've been going to for 10+ years so I want him to tint my tail lights.. last I remember he has 5%, 20, 25% 35% 55%

My question is I want to match the 2014 Turbo S as perfect as I can and I almost took a ride tonight to his shop just to check out his tints and put them on the tail light to take a few pics for comparison but got lazy.

What % am i most focusing on? the fake white spot on the tail light I would think needs to be a little darker so I may inquire about that too

Couple mods I plan on doing will be adding the Turbo S exhaust tips i'll end up having to weld them.

I am going to paint the calipers yellow all around

Smoking tail lights of course

I already bought and installed 4 new Continental DWS 06 within the first 2 weeks

I am considering 20" Turbo style wheels but that's the last thing I need right now lol

I will get the secondary downpipe probably by year's end too
Old 08-11-2017, 09:28 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't know the percentages, but this post has a side by side shot of the normal and dark tail lights from when I switched them out. Don't know if that can help your guy judge it better.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4038848
Old 08-11-2017, 09:59 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

I researched different tint options for the rear taillights for a while, but in the end I knew I wasn't going to be completely satisfied without going the OEM route. I found a fantastic deal on the Tequipment Porsche 958 tinted/black tails along with dealer installation.

Did you check eBay? I've seen the OEM GTS 958 tail lights show up from time to time there at very attractive prices (compared to new).

Just another route to consider.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:32 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Did you check eBay? I've seen the OEM GTS 958 tail lights show up from time to time there at very attractive prices (compared to new).
I was gonna say that the new prices aren't that bad, but they've either gone up considerably since I did mine or ECS gave me a hell of a deal (as much as I ordered from them for that make over that could be a distinct possibility).

You really want pain, look at the price for the PDLS blacked out headlights So worth it though
Old 08-11-2017, 12:00 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I would go with paint over tint if you don't want to replace them. Much nicer OEM like finish.

best pic I have, but these are the OEM tinted ones on the cayenne

and on my 991, painted by my favorite body shop
Old 08-11-2017, 01:10 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJG911
I would go with paint over tint if you don't want to replace them. Much nicer OEM like finish.

best pic I have, but these are the OEM tinted ones on the cayenne

and on my 991, painted by my favorite body shop
That Cayenne looks great! and the 991

is that a 958.2? looks it.

I looked ebay I found pieces from different sellers for tail lights not really my style to buy from 3 or 4 sellers I also found a seller in poland selling for 510 shipped for the complete set but a little out of my price range its not so much the money its more of a this isnt worth $500 + install kind of mod.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Caye...RYewck&vxp=mtr
Anyone need a 958.2 set thats a steal I think

I may have to take my time on the tail lights and when I find them for the right price or if I can paint/match the tail lights identical to OEM I will

I think first though will be the painting calipers yellow and welding Turbo S exhaust tips.

Also still need to fix those read window shades although I was able to get the shades them self to stay up so thats good lol
Old 08-11-2017, 01:12 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gnat
Don't know the percentages, but this post has a side by side shot of the normal and dark tail lights from when I switched them out. Don't know if that can help your guy judge it better.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4038848
Couldnt get the pictures to blow up on my computer but it helps cause i still see the attachment before its clicked up
Old 08-11-2017, 01:24 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

yeah, its a .2 diesel with the sportdesign package with side skirts, so it looks like a GTS
Old 08-11-2017, 01:28 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

yeah, its a .2 diesel with the sportdesign package with side skirts, so it looks like a GTS
What did you mean by paint over tint? you mean just paint over the OEM or add a tint sheet and paint over that?

I studied your 991 tail lights on my imac and considering I don't want to pay a large price for new tail lights and the tinting may not be perfect and if it's not I know how I am it'll eat my away until i fix it costing me more money lol. Even if it didn't match perfectly like OEM I still really like the shade on the 991 maybe a tad lighter but I wouldn't complain either way
Old 08-11-2017, 01:58 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese
Couldnt get the pictures to blow up on my computer but it helps cause i still see the attachment before its clicked up
Thought it was just my iPad, but my computer isn't playing nice either.

Played with it and figured out the URL for the full size:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...hmentid=328725
Old 08-11-2017, 05:33 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

What did you mean by paint over tint? you mean just paint over the OEM or add a tint sheet and paint over that?

I studied your 991 tail lights on my imac and considering I don't want to pay a large price for new tail lights and the tinting may not be perfect and if it's not I know how I am it'll eat my away until i fix it costing me more money lol. Even if it didn't match perfectly like OEM I still really like the shade on the 991 maybe a tad lighter but I wouldn't complain either way
my body shop sands them for paint adhesion and paints with a tinted clearcoat. They look OEM when done. Here is a closer-up of the taillight on my M4 that I had tinted with paint. WHen I had the windows tinted on a previous M235i I had, the tint guy showed me his tint film on one of my taillights and it just didn't look as good. Body shop charges about 3-350 to do them for me.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:36 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

I know its silly to keep the same theme, but I've pretty much done it to all my cars since my '05 C6
Old 08-11-2017, 05:43 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

I know its silly to keep the same theme, but I've pretty much done it to all my cars since my '05 C6

Before we go back to the topic on hand.. on a side note.. So 991, Cayenne 958.2 and a a M4 with a newer style Z and a 08+ vette.... and to think I did well for myself lol I guess not lmao

Thats AWESOME though.. im a BIG car guy so seeing that collection is just Aces in my book lol

That 370z is where I wanna be with an aftermarket tail light in the coming days/weeks I gotta reach out to my body shop whenever I call them they know I want something done lol

EDIT : I notice a theme in your cars - clean, black and hooked up lol
Old 08-11-2017, 07:23 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Here's what the 958.1 OEM black/tinted tail lights look like on my CTT. Hope this gives you a good idea of the OEM look...
Attached Images  
Old 08-11-2017, 08:44 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Before we go back to the topic on hand.. on a side note.. So 991, Cayenne 958.2 and a a M4 with a newer style Z and a 08+ vette.... and to think I did well for myself lol I guess not lmao

EDIT : I notice a theme in your cars - clean, black and hooked up lol
No, don't have the vette anymore, and the Z is an 09, wrecked at VIR and then hit a deer, so it has now transformed to this:

but I do have this oddball too, since its not black. 1986

Quick Reply: Smoking tail lights and a few mod questions