Passenger Side mirror motor making noise but not turning glass

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 07:42 AM
bambar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Side mirror motor making noise but not turning glass

Hey Guys,

I've got a 2004 Cayenne Turbo, and my driver side mirror works when I adjust it using the electric control.

However, when I switch the control over to the passenger-side mirror, it seems to make a 'turning noise' whenever I try to move it in any direction, but that does not move the actual glass mirror.

I also noticed when i try to press the mirror down manually to face the lower angle, it is as if the mirror is restricted - won't push down.

Any idea what that can be? I am thinking of buying a replacement motor, since the fuse/connection don't seem to be a problem (i.e. motor makes noise ).
Old 04-01-2017, 02:39 PM
bambar
Intermediate

Update:

Removed the side mirrors on both driver and passenger side to reveal the motor.

Nothing obstructing the motors on either side.
But, on the working side (drivers side) the mirror motor tilts in the direction required when I operate the switch.
On the passengers side, the mirror motor does not tilt, just makes noise when I operate the switch.

I guess this could mean a change in motor.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

In some rare cases, the mirror glass may have been accidentally physically moved downwards and at the end of its travel. Push on the upper portion of the mirror glass until you hear a few clicks. Then try moving the mirror downwards via the switch. You may have to repeat this several times until you get the mirror glass into the desired position.

Make sure that your mirrors are not synced via the cluster display.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:57 PM
bambar
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Andy E.
In some rare cases, the mirror glass may have been accidentally physically moved downwards and at the end of its travel. Push on the upper portion of the mirror glass until you hear a few clicks. Then try moving the mirror downwards via the switch. You may have to repeat this several times until you get the mirror glass into the desired position.

Make sure that your mirrors are not synced via the cluster display.
Thanks Andy. Mirrors are not synced, and the switch for the passenger side does not move the mirror. In fact, after removing the glass to reveal the motor, the motor doesn't seem to move at all when I operate the switch (it just makes noise like something is turning.)
The fact that the glass/motor wont tilt up or down when I manually try to do that with my hand is just confusing. I mean, it tilts right and left.
Ordered a new motor in any case.
Old 08-23-2023, 07:23 AM
Thoms
AutoX

Originally Posted by bambar
Thanks Andy. Mirrors are not synced, and the switch for the passenger side does not move the mirror. In fact, after removing the glass to reveal the motor, the motor doesn't seem to move at all when I operate the switch (it just makes noise like something is turning.)
The fact that the glass/motor wont tilt up or down when I manually try to do that with my hand is just confusing. I mean, it tilts right and left.
Ordered a new motor in any case.
Hello friend, did you solve the problem? I am have a similar problem, in my case the mirror on the passenger side opens and closes but nothing else moves down. not up, on the driver's side if it moves but does not open and close and a strange sound is heard inside as if something is forcing and stuck

Quick Reply: Passenger Side mirror motor making noise but not turning glass