Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant pipe leaks on 957 under manifolds latest parts, status, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 10:17 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Coolant pipe leaks on 957 under manifolds latest parts, status, etc?

So I have been waiting for this for 6 years or so, finally mine are leaking on my 2009 Turbo S, is porsche doing any goodwill or any class actions for the 957 to pay for repairs? I know that that the 955 had a class action. I have complained in the past to Porsche dealerships because if a smell and was told nothing to find for over 5 years.

Thank you folks!
Old 03-13-2019, 08:04 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

How did you find the leak - dye, scope camera, etc?
Old 03-13-2019, 02:05 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
How did you find the leak - dye, scope camera, etc?
Pressure test, scope under the manifold.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:44 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

On the 957, and contrary to what's inside the 955's bowels, there's only one single plastic cooling pipe that connects the rear coolant manifold to the front thermostat housing. These very rarely fail; as the problem most often lies with a single o-ring on the smaller front RH side aluminum pipe as well as the two rubber seals between the thermostat housing and the cylinder heads. This smaller pipe connects to the thermostat housing with a single T30 torx screw.

Replacing the o-ring on the smaller aluminum pipe requires dismantling of the intake manifold in order to access the T30 torx screw (head facing the firewall). To replace the two seals between the thermostat housing, the water pump, intake socket and thermostat have to be removed. Also, the fuel rail, injector harness and several vent lines also must be displaced to make room. The workshop manual makes it look simple however, most Porsche mechanics that do this work simply drop the engine and do the repair outside of the vehicle.

On my GTS, I managed to tilt the thermostat housing just high enough so that I could clean the mating surfaces and install the new seals onto the respective grooves on the cylinder heads. You'll need long tweezers and a dental pick to make your life easier. One important aspect in all of this is NOT to overtorque all the bolts as most of them are torqued between 10 and 15 Nm. Once you're in there, you should also replace the thermostat and intake socket as you don't want to go through this again in six months. Remember to use the special Porsche lubricant on all the o-rings otherwise they will deform and the leak will re-occur.

Remember to replace the intake seals when re-installing.

Quick Reply: Coolant pipe leaks on 957 under manifolds latest parts, status, etc?