Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lack of power from stopped into turns?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 12:44 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Most dealers will let the service tech ride along with you so YOU can replicate the problem for them. I'd at least start at the dealer.

On the flipside would you start tearing into your brand new warrantied 2017 very complex vehicle yourself in attempt to chase down this issue?! If the dealer happens to screw something up (doubtful) it's on them.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:16 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Here's the thing though, I'd take a step back and be looking at this from the perspective of this is a brand new 2017 vehicle with the full blown warranty....I shouldn't have to be going through all this nonsense with my brand new GTS!

Porsche should make it right, and doing all the investigation/diagnosis/etc. After all this isn't an '08 GTS with 100k miles on it where you're on your own. That would be my position anyway if it were my vehicle.

Of course if you just want to find out more about what's going on yourself out of pure interest as an enthusiast, I can understand that too. My 'tinkering days' are pretty much over for the most part though, I think I'd be headed to the dealer.
Oh, I certainly agree regarding getting the work done. Thing is, I've not yet nailed down the problem well enough to describe it, such that I'd expect them to be able to readily repair it effectively. This wasn't something I noticed when it was new but it's subtle enough that I may have 'chalked it up' to my getting used to the vehicle.

I haven't driven a turbo-equipped vehicle in some time, so knowing when it should or shouldn't be applying boost is unfamiliar territory for me. That's what caught my attention in the cruise/turbo thread. I don't use cruise but the boost factor rings familiar.

Nothing's making enough noise or acting up enough to be a problem for delaying service. I know better than that (as in, don't ignore a loose rocker arm tapping because it'll eventually come fully loose and destroy the top end, been there...)

Right now it's too easy to dismiss as 'no trouble found', 'not repeatable' or 'customer is an idiot and doesn't understand having a Porsche'.

I'd much rather have a clear way to reproduce, or at least show a log of the problem. That and if I can boil it down to a set of repeatable steps I'd be able to share that with others here to have them check the same thing. Being able to do it with an inexpensive Bluetooth-OBD dongle and a phone app would be a lot friendlier than shelling out for a Durametric.

In the other thread the fix involved Porsche being willing to replace an entire ENGINE to solve it. There's a part of me that wonders just how much of an 'impending service campaign' there is behind this...
Old 03-08-2017, 01:17 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

It is a bummer that a brand new car is doing this! We have seen other people in the past take their cars in countless times with electrical demons to never have them be resolved by the dealer or them even acknowledge there was a problem.

I think using torque pro to start logging all possibly related metrics is an easy place to start. I use it all the time in this manner on some of my vehicles. One of the other metrics I would also log is the fuel pressure.

It all depends on how reliably this can be replicated. Does it happen once every 10, 100, or 400 hot-footed left turns? The most important thing is to figure out all the conditions that create it so you can be sure to show the mechanic.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:22 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Most dealers will let the service tech ride along with you so YOU can replicate the problem for them. I'd at least start at the dealer.

On the flipside would you start tearing into your brand new warrantied 2017 very complex vehicle yourself in attempt to chase down this issue?! If the dealer happens to screw something up (doubtful) it's on them.
Oh I have no intention of taking a wrench to anything.

Were it predictably repeatable I'd absolutely schedule an appointment with my SA, right now.

Trouble is the steps to repeat it involve making sudden accelerating moves to cut through traffic. You know how it is around here. Replicating that, repeatedly, without causing an accident or attracting the attention of the police is kinda difficult. It doesn't happen every time and I've yet to find the combinations that cause it.

I'm willing to spend a little of my time and troubleshooting expertise to at least distill it down into examples I can repeat. With that I'd then drag an SA out on a joyride to demonstrate the problem.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:42 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nodoors
It is a bummer that a brand new car is doing this! We have seen other people in the past take their cars in countless times with electrical demons to never have them be resolved by the dealer or them even acknowledge there was a problem.

I think using torque pro to start logging all possibly related metrics is an easy place to start. I use it all the time in this manner on some of my vehicles. One of the other metrics I would also log is the fuel pressure.

It all depends on how reliably this can be replicated. Does it happen once every 10, 100, or 400 hot-footed left turns? The most important thing is to figure out all the conditions that create it so you can be sure to show the mechanic.
I'm very well acquainted with troubleshooting with an eye toward repeatability. But since I'm operating from a knowledge deficit I can't prove that what I'm experiencing is an actual problem or just operator inexperience.

OBD Fusion is yet another app that seems to have potential here.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ions.TouchScan

What I need to figure out is whether the OBD port will even provide the data necessary to be logged, and then what hex custom PID codes to add to the app.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:44 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Oh I have no intention of taking a wrench to anything.

Were it predictably repeatable I'd absolutely schedule an appointment with my SA, right now.

Trouble is the steps to repeat it involve making sudden accelerating moves to cut through traffic. You know how it is around here. Replicating that, repeatedly, without causing an accident or attracting the attention of the police is kinda difficult. It doesn't happen every time and I've yet to find the combinations that cause it.

I'm willing to spend a little of my time and troubleshooting expertise to at least distill it down into examples I can repeat. With that I'd then drag an SA out on a joyride to demonstrate the problem.
Yep, understand completely. Situations like this do get very frustrating (been there). But in the end, I hope you can get to the point where you can take it in and have the problem recognized and diagnosed like it should be. Nothing worse than taking your new vehicle in for service with something you just know is not normal, and come to pick it up and find the dreaded 'problem not replicated' on the service ticket!

But again I wouldn't get too far into it yourself, otherwise that could get ugly too. But I certainly understand what you're trying to do at this point.

There's a customer at the Porsche dealer in Charlottesville where I bought my CTT, had a brand new '17 GTS with really nice options, brought it back after less than a year and traded for a new CTT due to driveability issues according to him, but I never heard any more details about it beyond just that. I can only assume it was the same as what we've read about in some threads here?

I sincerely hope you're able to track this down and get it resolved. Again I know how frustrating this sort of thing is, especially for enthusiasts like us. Please keep us updated!

Last edited by CarGuyNVA; 03-08-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:46 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually more than one person in that other thread who gave up and traded in their vehicles.

You should take it to the dealer. At the very least because of slow boost response. Your boost gauge should not take upwards of a second to display boost. I picked up my Cayenne yesterday after being without it for 1-2 weeks. In just normal commuting all I have to do is barely press on the throttle and instantly see 0.4 - 0.5 BAR. That is exactly how the 2016 S loaner I had last year reacted. If your gauge is always so slow then will be easy enough to take a mechanic for a ride a long to show. If they say that is normal then surely they have another GTS or S you can ride in for them to "prove" that statement.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:35 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

and now... a week later... the problem has not been repeating itself. The boost gauge is no longer acting slow. I'm still interested in finding an effective way to log data from the OBD2 port, but have not had a chance to dig into it further.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:50 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

and now... a week later... the problem has not been repeating itself. The boost gauge is no longer acting slow. I'm still interested in finding an effective way to log data from the OBD2 port, but have not had a chance to dig into it further.
if it happens to be the same problem I had, then sadly it comes and goes, sometimes in the same day. I still think you are experiencing something different than I went through.

If you find something that datalogs well then I would be curious to hear about it.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:49 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Bummer. Intermittent stuff is the worst. I had a screwy BCM computer issue in one of my cars that was crazy hard to track down. About once every few months it would light up the dashboard like a christmas tree and then when I was able to plug it in, nothing showed up on the computer. It didn't help that I only put about 1,500 to 2,000 miles on it a year, but I finally figured it out after a lot of frustration.

Keep an old Android phone plugged into the charger in the car and always recording and an OBD2 dongle in the port. Configure torque to log all the metrics you can think that would make sense and hopefully you catch something. Then the next time it happens, pull over and immediately check out the logs. Think of it as an offshore fishing trip trolling for Porsche gremlins.

Quick Reply: Lack of power from stopped into turns?