Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Servotronic mod- way better steering!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 01:23 AM
TCZ
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I am intrigued. Does pulling the fuse not throw a warning code?
Old 05-02-2019, 01:33 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

no warning code
Old 05-03-2019, 12:54 AM
RSbob
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Tom, how did you discover pulling this fuse leads to better handling? I live in a marijuana state and it never occurred to me.

fyi on an 08 CS it’s fuse 49 in the left pod, but other years and models might vary.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:31 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by RSbob
Tom, how did you discover pulling this fuse leads to better handling? I live in a marijuana state and it never occurred to me.

fyi on an 08 CS it’s fuse 49 in the left pod, but other years and models might vary.
I certainly can't take credit for it- another Rennlister tried it out and liked the result. I may wire a switch up to mine in lieu of a fuse so that I can re-enable the Servotronic on some of the mind-numbing drives across parts of Eastern Washington where there is nary a curve to be found. Road feel isn't a priority there for me.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:59 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by RSbob

? LOL! Are you saying your dumb from smoking too much? Maybe try a good Sativa?
Old 05-03-2019, 12:58 PM
RSbob
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
? LOL! Are you saying your dumb from smoking too much? Maybe try a good Sativa?
No, I was born this way. . But I will take your rec.

speaking of being a dolt, I am now confused why reinstalling the fuse (via a switch) would make any difference on long straight drives in E Wa. If you are going in mostly a straight line why bother since steering inputs are minimal? (My wife and I drive from Seattle to Spokane a few times a year to visit the mother in law). Just might have to try a long drive to see what you are talking about, which conveniently is coming up this month to the R Gruppe 20th Anniversary drunken bash in Monterrey.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:46 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I can proudly say pulling out the vacuum pump/brake booster connector on 955 gives a very linear braking experience. I did it as an experiment to defer doing both brake booster hoses and the braking performance and feel is genuinely pleasant.... if you don't mind a 15% increase in braking effort.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:35 AM
Petrolhead_007
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Checked earlier today, my 2009 VR6 doesn't have servotronic fuse, so you can say awesome steering feel was already standard from the beginning!
Old 05-08-2019, 01:06 AM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

My GTS doesn't have that option listed so assuming I have the pure steering as it is (and yes its a bit heavy at low speeds for sure with the big *** tires)
Old 05-08-2019, 02:37 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
I can proudly say pulling out the vacuum pump/brake booster connector on 955 gives a very linear braking experience. I did it as an experiment to defer doing both brake booster hoses and the braking performance and feel is genuinely pleasant.... if you don't mind a 15% increase in braking effort.
I'm going to give it a try! In keeping with the theme - I also disconnected the top reference pressure line to the N75, which gives the turbos a faster spool up and top boost numbers, with only a once every few months over-boost code.

But wrt to the steering fuse, to add, after finally giving up on getting AZ850's in/to Canada in 285/35R22, I just got a new set of Asymetrix 3's. I will review later (been testing them out for a few hours but I just got them this morning), first impressions were they suck compared to the Nitto 555's I took off, but after drifting round cloverleaf's in the rain for awhile they now seem like they might be good after all. But anyway wrt to the fuse, I thought they didn't balance them well or they were out of round because at over 120 kph although they were fine with the wheel perfectly straight, as soon as I put enough pressure to engage the steering rack to turn I could feel a very slight vibration. So I was going to take them back tomorrow, but then I tried putting the fuse back in and the vibration went away. So the point being is I think the Servotronic does have an effect going straight at speed as well, smoothing out minor rolling chassis issues (but also smoothing out road feel). Disconnecting it again as soon as I sort out what is up with the tires.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:29 PM
GDA
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Bump - just did this today on my 09 Turbo S after I checked all codes [there were none] so used Durametric and reset of all adaptations. Car pulls away and idles even smoother after the adaptation reset.

The servo mod gives the steering a nice firm sense of feedback. Definitely takes more effort at parking lots speeds but actually like it that way. Great mod.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:40 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GDA
Bump - just did this today on my 09 Turbo S after I checked all codes [there were none] so used Durametric and reset of all adaptations. Car pulls away and idles even smoother after the adaptation reset.

The servo mod gives the steering a nice firm sense of feedback. Definitely takes more effort at parking lots speeds but actually like it that way. Great mod.
Great! Glad you find it an improvement. Your post is a reminder that I need to reset my adaptations- it's been a while.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:25 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by grphcdsgnr76
Just gave this a try. Love it! Word of caution though, the steering is MUCH heavier at super low speed than with Servotronic active (at least, it is in my case, YMMV.) So, if you do a lot of crawling speed driving and have to maneuver frequently while doing so, this might not be for you.

However, for me, the vast improvement in steering feel at normal and highway speeds far outweighs the slightly "hampered" steering at very low speed.

Just my two cents...for the penny their worth.
Much heavier.....does this mean this mod stresses a part in the rack or steering column (u Joint )? Our 2010 V6 has servotronic. I haven't pulled 49 yet though, until I understand what the disable actually does and what is left for steering at low speed boost.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:31 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ericson38
Much heavier.....does this mean this mod stresses a part in the rack or steering column (u Joint )? Our 2010 V6 has servotronic. I haven't pulled 49 yet though, until I understand what the disable actually does and what is left for steering at low speed boost.
Try it and if you don't like it, you can put the fuse back in two seconds. I can't see how there would be any additional stresses on the parts you referenced.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:58 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
Try it and if you don't like it, you can put the fuse back in two seconds. I can't see how there would be any additional stresses on the parts you referenced.
I'm sure I'll like it, but not the point. The question is what is being loaded that wasn't loaded before. Is the pump a two stage affair, so that removing the boost fuse (what ever a boost even is) just reduces the overall pump output, or ? The car can be steered with engine off, which case results in very heavy loads on the pinion running on top of the sliding rack. So what does this mod actually change at low speed ?

Quick Reply: Servotronic mod- way better steering!