Sponsored by:

Clean up NAV screen?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 01:57 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Clean up NAV screen?

My 955 NAV screen looks like what appears to be finger wear, by touching screen when using the radio. What is the best way to clear up the screen without fubaring it all up?
Old 11-27-2016, 12:14 AM
Lionworks Auto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Isobtoyl wlcohol and cotton ball
Old 11-27-2016, 12:46 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Ok with Polycarbonate screen?
Old 11-27-2016, 08:21 AM
Lionworks Auto
Racer

What happens is that the oem screen saver material is breaking down - and gets milky or marked up. The alcohol simply removes this layer - it's not needed and makes the screen look brand new once gone. I have an 08 and just did this. If like can add back a screen saver material as well. Here are pictures of mine after the alcohol and cotton ball treatment. May take a few wipes...

Old 11-27-2016, 10:11 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 135 Posts

Safest bet is probably a cleaner designed for screens. I use Novus cleaners on my boat screens and gauges. Works great.

https://www.novuspolish.com/
Old 11-29-2016, 03:02 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Use these, from Porsche, specifically for this purpose..... http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/40010019.html
Old 12-01-2016, 02:11 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

91% Isopropyl Alcohol worked well in clearing the Polycarbonate screen...thanks all!
Old 12-01-2016, 02:30 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

@Lionworks Auto - Isobtoyl wlcohol and cotton ball, do you mean isopropyl or isobutyl?
Old 12-02-2016, 02:14 AM
Lionworks Auto
Racer

Originally Posted by rebrewer
@Lionworks Auto - Isobtoyl wlcohol and cotton ball, do you mean isopropyl or isobutyl?
sorry rennlist app really sux after iOS 10 - spell and crash errors. I meant isopropyl alcohol - good ole fashion you find in your medicine cabinet.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:25 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Use these, from Porsche, specifically for this purpose..... http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/40010019.html
Where the MSDS sheet on those? I'd be curious what solvents they contain, if just to make sure what to look for in other products.

Folks, be careful about solvents and plastics. What might look like it "cleans" a surface might harm it. Not necessarily right away. Some solvents and cleaners disrupt the plasticizers in the material. Such that it becomes brittle or prematurely sensitive to UV exposure. I pay attention to this because of problems with cleaning boat surfaces with the wrong stuff. Sure, there's ways to get rid of a stain or problem quickly, only to find the 'cleaned' area turns yellow, cracks and falls apart faster than the areas around it.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:48 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Where the MSDS sheet on those? I'd be curious what solvents they contain, if just to make sure what to look for in other products.

Folks, be careful about solvents and plastics. What might look like it "cleans" a surface might harm it. Not necessarily right away. Some solvents and cleaners disrupt the plasticizers in the material. Such that it becomes brittle or prematurely sensitive to UV exposure. I pay attention to this because of problems with cleaning boat surfaces with the wrong stuff. Sure, there's ways to get rid of a stain or problem quickly, only to find the 'cleaned' area turns yellow, cracks and falls apart faster than the areas around it.
I purchased the Porsche ones but haven't opened them yet. I'll check to see if there's a MSDS sheet packaged with them.

The point you make about being careful with solvent/cleaners on plastics is right on. That's why I went ahead and ordered the PCM cleaning pads from Porsche. For only $4.95, why not?!
Old 12-04-2016, 12:54 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
I purchased the Porsche ones but haven't opened them yet. I'll check to see if there's a MSDS sheet packaged with them.

The point you make about being careful with solvent/cleaners on plastics is right on. That's why I went ahead and ordered the PCM cleaning pads from Porsche. For only $4.95, why not?!
Agreed, $5 for anything from Porsche seems like quite the bargain. I'll definitely add one to the cart on my next order.

I only ask about the MSDS because it'd be convenient if I already have some of that on-hand. That and when you see certain ingredients you can sometimes use that as a guide for what not to use. It's been a while since I wrecked something plastic with the wrong kind of cleaner, so I'm hazy on the specifics. (pun intended)

Quick Reply: Clean up NAV screen?