3) Continental ExtremeContact DWS
4) Pirelli P-Zero Rosso
5) Michelin X-Ice
Old 12-04-2016, 11:20 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 8202632
that would be my guess too. The manual probably doesn't state it bc there weren't any a/s tires at that point. I'm sure you will be fine with either the summer pressure or a few lbs less. Just keep an eye on the wear and adjust accordingly. Keep us posted on the wear and ride and noise
I ended up starting with 37 / 42 - will see how it feels.

I remember a longer discussion on 21" wheels on the MB GL forum and a number expressed concern over having too low a pressure on that size wheel would risk damage to the wheel with potholes etc.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:40 AM
PupC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As the 21's I am using are GTS Wheels, I looked up the spec and it said 39/49 , which I am running and they are really nice so far...

No snow yet here, but , It's coming.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:05 AM
1BadAction
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No pics PupC?
Old 12-05-2016, 11:06 AM
PupC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, no pix, we've had lotsa rain , now it snowing.. It's a dirty black CTT, and no pix will be taken till she gets a bath.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:51 PM
porschefan931
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnrat
porschefan931. Here is a take on my DWS06's in the snow. From another thread I posted this today.
"Ok, some real world comparison. Had first snow to stick on the roads/hwy and still had on my DWS06. They work, kind of. The temp is right around freezing so the snow is at it's most slippery. I would say they are barely adequate. I wouldn't feel confident taking them out on a long snow and ice covered hwy drive and expect much in the way of avoidance capability. Braking ability is poor, especially on a downhill, though much better than a summer tire. FWIW I have been using exclusively dedicated ice radials pretty much since they first came out, so the difference seems very substantial to me. Out to the garage to put on the hakkas. Again, the snow I drove in today is about as slippery as it gets except for a film of water on ice."
In other words there is no comparison to a dedicated ice radial.
Thanks Man, kinda what i expected. I've noticed that i can't lean on the Blizzaks in the same way, unless i want to wear them out quickly. I would also be concerned about how well the "all season" compound works on dasy like today, -18C at the moment. The winter tire compounds are softer at low temps compared with all season. As i already have 2 sets of wheels, i guess i should not be lazy as it only takes an hour to swap them all over I'm glad i swapped them when it was a little warmer.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:11 PM
aljus
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had extreme contact DWS06 on my 958 GTS for a couple of years ( 275/45/20 ). I keep the pressure at 32/36 all the time. They have been holding up very nicely , quiet, comfortable ride and minimal wear .
Old 12-07-2016, 01:54 AM
Torre
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All-Season Tires are not safe during winter, period. Yes, your car might move forward, might even brake, but try doing an evasive move or emergency brake and you turn in to a passenger pretty fast.

If a tire 'looks' like a winter tire that does not mean anything. What makes a good winter tire lies in the compound and the shape of the tire itself.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:03 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Torre
All-Season Tires are not safe during winter, period.
Which is a gross over-simplification. It's all a matter of driving conditions, and those include both presence of precipitation and temperatures (among many potential factors).

Yes, in a continuously cold and wet/snowy climate you'd do well to consider having tires specifically rated for winter conditions. In areas on the margin you're not going to do any harm going either way. Just know that winter tires do bring along benefits that 'all season' tires might not. And that summer tires will definitely not possess. Handling will likely be different, both in wet/snow conditions and dry. You won't get the same handling responsiveness in dry with winter tires as you'd get with all-seasons. But then you won't get the same results with those all seasons when it's really cold outside compared to how they respond during warmer temperatures.

There's a balance to be struck and it depends greatly on the conditions. Hype doesn't help make good decisions.

Last edited by wkearney99; 12-07-2016 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: New Coni DWS 06 Tires being mounted as I type this