Sponsored by:

Rear end is really loose?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 03:15 PM
Sid3ways
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Rear end is really loose?

I'm aware of what that title sounds like.

Ever since I had this vehicle it seemed the rear end always was loose/floaty. The vehicle is lowered on the lowering links so the rear tires have some negative camber. When I'd hit big bumps, it almost always feels like the rear end skips to the right or left, it is especially bad when it's wet out. The vehicle also has always had a vibration when driving around 40 especially but on and off as you go faster.

The carden shaft isolator failed on me a month or two ago and I did the rubber hose mod but soon after I could hear the driveshaft slapping around down there (though not hitting metal of course, but enough that I could feel it). I have purchase a brand new cardan shaft with isolator I'm going to install this weekend and I'm really hoping this could be the root cause for the vibration and rear end. My thought is that since the rear end isn't fully loaded with the driveshaft moving all around, that is causing the rear wheels to hop. The negative camber is making things worse so I plan on raising the car back to factory height and then lowering the proper way with the Durametric as the ride quality is pretty bad.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Old 10-21-2016, 04:01 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you running original rims with factory-spec tires? If aftermarket, are you using wheel spacers? How worn are the tires?
Old 10-21-2016, 04:22 PM
Sid3ways
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running aftermarket wheels with 295/40/21s on them. I'm also running 17mm spacers in the back. Tires are 5 months old, have probably 7k miles on them.

Quick Reply: Rear end is really loose?