Sponsored by:

Rear camera replacement on 09 tts

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 11:26 PM
shelhart2
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rear camera replacement on 09 tts

So my rear camera Rams are stuck and camera not properly retracting. Silly over engineered design and why not a fixed camera or in bumper is just an added faluir point. Anyway, I took of the rear cover and unhooked camera. Question is to what there is avail that may fir in stock place. Anyone done something simple to fix that works easily with factory screen? Shelhart2@gmail.com
Old 10-14-2016, 09:05 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You're lucky that you don't live in our climate where freezing rain and sleet makes the rear pop-up camera inoperable at least 90% of the time. Leave it to the Germans to complicate things when it comes to a simple requirement. Even VW continues with the Teutonic tradition in using a flip-type camera system on the rear badge of the Golf.

I would do a search in this forum as quite a few people have installed aftermarket rear cameras with much success. In your case, you'll have to find a camera w/housing that will use the same signal to power up the monitor.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:55 PM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

I had to fix my camera due to the wire breaking just as it entered the camera. I completely disassembled the assembly to fix the wire and then cleaned and lubed to mechanics. All is working now.
FYI-You could have disabled the camera via the PCM instead of unplugging
Old 10-31-2016, 01:39 AM
shelhart2
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, so I took of rear cover where camera is. Pops off by hand as its only held onto car by 8 press in connectors. Took 4 screws holding camera in and cleaned assembly with electronic cleaner. Removed two metallic back plates with two screws per side to access where camera extension Rams are and oiled. Put back together and it all now works fine. Dealer said backup camera was $1,300. Well worth the total of 1 hour😃
The following users liked this post:
Pepperman (09-15-2021)
Old 11-13-2017, 03:48 PM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

So a year later and now it won't extend
Old 11-14-2017, 02:49 AM
h_____
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also having intermittent issues, what do people do to keep these working, or do you all eventually end up swapping?
Old 09-15-2021, 11:39 PM
Pepperman
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shelhart2
Ok, so I took of rear cover where camera is. Pops off by hand as its only held onto car by 8 press in connectors. Took 4 screws holding camera in and cleaned assembly with electronic cleaner. Removed two metallic back plates with two screws per side to access where camera extension Rams are and oiled. Put back together and it all now works fine. Dealer said backup camera was $1,300. Well worth the total of 1 hour😃
am having the same problem
Old 09-17-2021, 07:22 AM
cayenne2008
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pepperman
am having the same problem
just modified mine to use externallicense plate camera. Better quality. I was going to try to install in stock location but couldn't figure out how to remove camera..then drill etc

Quick Reply: Rear camera replacement on 09 tts