Sponsored by:

Oh what fun...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 10:56 PM
mhollack
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Oh what fun...

Back in April I picked up an 06 Turbo with 55k miles. Lots of service records and was in good shape. Coolant pipes had been done as well as coil packs, or so I was told. I recently replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the engine air filters (EVOMS intake kit) changed the oil and filter and replaced the pressure tube to correct a small oil leak. While replacing the spark plugs I noticed all the coils had cracks so added them to the to do list. I also saw the torque arm had the bushing starting to crack. A few days later I noticed some spots on the driveway...thinking I was pretty thorough with tightening everything correctly I was surprised to see the spots. So under it I went for inspection. Wasnt oil at all but ATF. Im no transmission guy so I took it to my local dealer for inspection. Well turns out the torque converter seal and tranny pan gasket had started to leak. They also told me the cardan shaft boot was starting to tear. Well they got $4500 from me to drop the tranny and repair/replace all seals, orings, gaskets, including the main rear seal. But they wanted $2200 to replace the driveshaft. I told them no thanks as they were just replacing a part with the same part that would eventually fail again. However they were nice enough to install some upgraded diverter valves I had purchased and they did not charge me extra for it. I ended up purchasing the EPS "permanent" solution to the carrier bearing support issue. Saved myself about $1800 doing that myself. Also got the coil packs replaced as well as the torque arm.
So after all that I wanted to say that Rennlist and Pelican Parts are my new best friends. Thanks to all of you that have posted your experiences and diy's as they've helped me a lot over the last couple weeks. Everything seems to be sorted now and hopefully I should be good for awhile other than regular oil changes and tire rotations. I still love this pig.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:19 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

You did your homework by purchasing a Cayenne with the coolant tube upgrade, probably thinking this is one item to delete from the must do list.

Yes and no.

What likely happened is the tubes failed for the PO and now you are dealing with the after effects. Coolant travels from the intake area into the bell housing, damaging the trans seal.

Since the trans seal is fixed you are all set to enjoy the CTT...with a little more peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Oh what fun...