Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone experiencing frontend vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 05:43 PM
Barron
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone experiencing frontend vibration?

Took delivery of a Cayenne Turbo on 9/12 and immediately noticed a vibration in the steering column. It's equipped with 20" wheels and Continental tires. The vibration was speed sensitive (65 to 75 mph), and I and the dealer assumed that it was a balance problem. The dealer was not able to properly balance tires (excessive road force) and ordered two new 20" Continentals. When the two new tires came in and were mounted and installed, the vibration somewhat improved, but was still there. At the next try, dealer rechecked the tires and ordered in another new tire. Same result. Dealer now thinks it is in the servatronic steering. Has anyone else experienced any problems like this???
Old 10-17-2003, 05:59 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If they did not check the alignment they should, I find it hard to believe that multiple tires would have the same fault.

I have also known some dealers to be very bad at balancing wheels, though not on P cars.

Either that or the wheels themselves are shot.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:17 AM
hyroller
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had the same problem with my set of 20" Technos Michelin Diamaris rubber when I first picked up the car. Steering wheel vibration at about 65MPH that disappeared at 70MPH.Turned out that the road force was out of range on the fronts. Had the dealer re-balance and test the tires/wheels again.The fix was to turn the tires to a new position on the wheels,re-balance,test road force again,this time they were in spec. Vibration was no longer a problem. Incidentally the first set of tires only lasted me about 7200 miles. I am now on my second set of Michelins.None of the prior problems with this new set.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:14 PM
Barron
Intermediate

Hyroller,
7200 miles on a set of Diamaris is very low miles to have to replace. I had 19" Diamaris on a X5 for over 39000 miles and they still
were able to pass muster after a 3-year lease end.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:29 PM
hyroller
Addict
Rennlist Member

Barron I agree that wear seems to be excessive. I also have an X5 with over 60000 miles now on my 2nd set of tires. I guess that there is no comparison between the X5 and the Cayenne TT. My heavy right foot 450Hp, tons of torque,and driving in the NC mountains one has to pay a heavy toll in rubber!! I also took the Cayenne TT around Road Atlanta for six hot laps..I am sure that it didn't help any. Needless to say I was surprised at the tire wear. Checked the tires out after they were dismounted trust me, they needed to be changed. Maybe because I am not worried about lease restrictions I tend to drive with a little more exuberance,I guess that's the price I pay. It will be interesting to see how long the 2nd set lasts me.The TT will be in Florida for the next 6 months, I bet the flat terrain will make a big difference on tire wear. I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Anyone experiencing frontend vibration?