Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Cayenne odometer tampering/ rollback suspect

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016 | 11:29 AM
piuric
5th Gear

Default 08 Cayenne odometer tampering/ rollback suspect

Hi I saw a used 08, V8 Cayenne S to buy here in Brazil.
The price for Brazil is ok, about US$ 20000.
The car is supposed to have 40625 miles.
First 3 manteinances where made at porsche dealer as follows:
1-10k miles, april 2008;
2-20k miles in jan/09;
3-27k miles in sept/09.
The car was well mantained and everything works fine.
The only signs I noticed for more miles is:
a) drive belt already has some cracks and needs to be replaced;
b) water pump seems to have some noise .
c) battery is weak as car does not start quick like others.

Is it normal to have cracks on drive belts with 40k miles?
My veracruz has 125k on it and no cracks and never replaced.
What other signs can I try to check or is there any way to read the actual mileage on with an obd2 scanner?
Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Old 06-05-2016 | 10:26 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

The drive belt is 8 years old so age can have just as much of an impact as miles. For a point of reference my water pump went bad on my Cayenne Turbo at 53k miles and was told this was not uncommon. When I was talking to some Porsche mechanics and friends I know they said the life expectancy on water pumps is anywhere from 40-70k miles. As for the battery how old is it? If the battery is original 8 years of service is not bad.

Do the seats, steering wheel, and shifter look consistent with miles? If your gut is telling you the miles have been tampered with I would move on and find a well documented car to buy. You will pay a little more with a service history but you will sleep better at night!
Old 06-05-2016 | 05:01 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

With the Durametric scan tool you can read the engine hours and approximate the mi.
In addition you can read if the engine rev limiter was active and the number of times.

There are Chinese copies available on line that may do the same, but a basic OBDII reader will not.

A water pump can fail at 40K mi. but how do you know the pump is noisy? Idler pulley bearings can be noisy as well.
Old 06-05-2016 | 05:09 PM
devilgrl
Advanced

It's an 08? Serviced roughly a year to two later with 27k miles on it but only 13k additional miles in the follwing 7 years? Sounds suspicious to me.

This happened to me with a car I purchased years ago with 32k miles on it. Took it in for a service 2 months later and discovered 4 records of the car being serviced with more than 40k miles on it 5 years prior to my purchase. The nice thing about it was after investigating and finding a ton of information supporting the odometer rollback, the police, DMV, leinholder and dealership I bought it from all said there was nothing I could do unless I hired a lawyer out of pocket and took the dealership to small claims court. I say avoid the suspicious car. It's not worth the headache.
That's just my $.02
Old 06-05-2016 | 09:16 PM
piuric
5th Gear

Thanks Dan, the steering wheel is not that good has some discoloration on the beige leather.
The battery I don't know the age but it feels weak.
I was wondering why the water pump "normally"fails at a so low mileage on Cayennes compared to other japanese or hyundai suvs? Does it has something to do with the high motor hp?
Old 06-05-2016 | 09:24 PM
piuric
5th Gear

Thanks V10rick and Devilgrl,
I do not have durametric I am buying the autoenginuity OBD PC based scan, maybe I can see this on the scan.
I suspect the pump is not good after reading some forums, but you are right, can be other parts...
Regarding the rollback, since I can do a lot of diy jobs on my cars the most important part is if the car is really on good conditions, in fact I like this hobby as long as it does not cost too much.
We do not have too many options here in Brazil for Porsches and as you have a lot of rollback problems in US we do have much more here.
Thank you guys for your opinion, it really helps!
Old 06-05-2016 | 09:36 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by piuric
I was wondering why the water pump "normally"fails at a so low mileage on Cayennes compared to other japanese or hyundai suvs? Does it has something to do with the high motor hp?
No, it's german. To be blunt Porsche quality isn't what it use to be. If reliability is key buy a Lexus! These cars are great and enjoyable but maintenance is something you will have to get use to.
Old 06-05-2016 | 09:45 PM
19psi
Three Wheelin'

Nothing unusual about a battery, belt and water pump failing after 8 years and 40K miles. Although, at a price of $20K, you should have a PPI done. Comparing a Porsche to something like a Toyota is apples and oranges.

Also, I highly doubt the odometer is wrong. It's not like you can simply install a different display with lower miles or change values with a Durametric. There is so much security, you can't even reprogram a used remote keyfob from another vehicle or install certain used parts (such as a steering column)...you need to purchase new virgin parts and have them programmed at a dealer.
Old 06-05-2016 | 10:10 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 19psi
Nothing unusual about a battery, belt and water pump failing after 8 years and 40K miles. Although, at a price of $20K, you should have a PPI done. Comparing a Porsche to something like a Toyota is apples and oranges.

Also, I highly doubt the odometer is wrong. It's not like you can simply install a different display with lower miles or change values with a Durametric. There is so much security, you can't even reprogram a used remote keyfob from another vehicle or install certain used parts (such as a steering column)...you need to purchase new virgin parts and have them programmed at a dealer.
I strongly disagree - with the right equipment its scary how easy this is - I once purchased some software and a cable to reprogram a key on a previous vehicle (~$60 from memory and it worked perfectly) and within the software package was the facility to adjust the mileage.

In that instance ~$60 and 10 minutes would have taken care of it without ever leaving home. I`ve also watched countless "Busted" style programs where unscrupulous types get secretly filmed performing rollbacks and it always looks pretty easy.
Old 06-06-2016 | 06:08 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by piuric
Thanks V10rick and Devilgrl,
I do not have durametric I am buying the autoenginuity OBD PC based scan, maybe I can see this on the scan.
I suspect the pump is not good after reading some forums, but you are right, can be other parts...
Regarding the rollback, since I can do a lot of diy jobs on my cars the most important part is if the car is really on good conditions, in fact I like this hobby as long as it does not cost too much.
We do not have too many options here in Brazil for Porsches and as you have a lot of rollback problems in US we do have much more here.
Thank you guys for your opinion, it really helps!
If you have limited Porsche options in Brazil will parts be difficult to locate and be expensive?

Some chassis parts are interchangeable with VW but not engine parts.

Never read of rollback issues on this forum. A low mileage truck may be easier to sell but it will not change the market price that much.
These things depreciate like a rock.

Good luck with your purchase!

Last edited by v10rick; 06-06-2016 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-06-2016 | 08:20 PM
993GT2
Instructor

Hi piuric, I'm also from Brazil, where are you located?

I own an independent Porsche shop called Weissach in Sao Paulo, I can have a look at your car to know if the mileage is correct. I have the PIWIS and the Durametric as well

Let me know

Best regards,
Old 08-07-2016 | 06:44 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Deleted

Last edited by J'sWorld; 08-07-2016 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Wrong post

Quick Reply: 08 Cayenne odometer tampering/ rollback suspect