Sponsored by:

Sagging headlight

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 05:14 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Sagging headlight

So...just encountered a new issue on my '04 Cayenne Turbo. When I turn on my headlights, they dip, then rise to level as they always have. Then after both headlights settle at the proper level, the right hand headlight slowly begins to droop. After 20 seconds or so, it's aimed down while the left remains at normal level.

If I turn the lights off and back on, the same thing happens; the lights dip, rise to level, then the right droops over the course of 20-30 seconds. I also notice that the right-hand headlight is not auto leveling under heavy acceleration or braking. The left headlight is working normally.

I've removed and reinstalled the headlight, checked the wire harness socket on the tray, and all are normal.

I scanned with Durametric and have no codes in the level control system or gateway.

Any thoughts? Thanks again for any tips.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:07 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lift the harness out of the holder at the back of the tray. Plug it directly in to the headlight. Leave it sitting slightly forward and turn the lights on to see if it dips. If that fixes it, you need to do the harness mod. Make sure you put a lot of effort into pushing the harness all the way in. It'll slide easily up to the rubber seal, but then you need to really push it the last bit.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:40 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

I had some time to play with it today. It seems like the problem is caused by the harness not seating correctly as you suspected. I didn't do the harness mod yet, but reseated the headlight with a freshly lubed seal. Seamed to work. We'll see. Much thanks!
Old 02-21-2016, 10:48 PM
Agustin AC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same issue JAGMAN1.

Could you please enlighten me in to what the "harness mod" is?
Old 02-22-2016, 11:21 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Remove the headlight. Look for the electrical connector that sits in a holder at the back of the tray. The mod is to cut the wings off the white part of the electrical connector so that it can be plugged into the headlight by hand (essentially unfixing it from the rear of the tray). Then the headlight can be pushed into the tray and locked in place.

Before you do it inspect the harness at the back of the tray, and make sure that the wires are in good shape. Then open the headlight as if you were going to replace the bulbs and inspect the wires on the inside. You're looking for missing insulation, etc.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:17 PM
Agustin AC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for posting this question, I had the exact same issue. Hope it is the same fix.

Quick Reply: Sagging headlight