Sponsored by:

Cayenne in snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 09:55 PM
Boostaddiction
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cayenne in snow

We got about 30" of wet snow in the recent East coast snowstorm. Snow blowing and shoveling got a path cleared in the driveway, but the storm continued and today we still had 8-12" in the driveway.

Our house is on a private drive with pretty steep hills, with a turn at the bottom and top (sort of like Eau Rouge), and was also covered with about the same amount of snow. I had to make a trip to pick up my wife from the hospital, so I set out in the Cayenne with the air suspension set at max height.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the Cayenne just motored through the deep snow, including the ascent and descent on the drive.

Very stable, no drama. just carving through the snow.

I am running Blizzaks, and they and the car were pretty impressive- no one else on the street had been able to get out yet.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:18 AM
BlackTurboS
Instructor

Same here! ! !

I was also out on the roads through the blizzard in Downingtown, PA and trucked through 24-30" drifts without a problem. Had to make sure I was able to maneuver - my wife is 8 months preg with twins.

The capability and adaptability of this Cayenne is jaw dropping. I set PDCC to comfort, had air suspension at max height, and was passing other SUVs on major roads. I'm on 275/45R20 Continental DWS All Seasons. People told me "don't buy all seasons, you're an idiot".

I drove through more snow, slush, cold and wind this past weekend than I may ever face in the future. Confidence +100 on the all seasons.

Downingtown, PA - 28.5"

I also found out that when I turn my heat to "HI" setting on the driver side, my steering wheel is heated.... never knew that until Friday night! The car that keeps on giving...
Old 01-25-2016, 11:14 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackTurboS
Same here! ! !

I was also out on the roads through the blizzard in Downingtown, PA and trucked through 24-30" drifts without a problem. Had to make sure I was able to maneuver - my wife is 8 months preg with twins.

The capability and adaptability of this Cayenne is jaw dropping. I set PDCC to comfort, had air suspension at max height, and was passing other SUVs on major roads. I'm on 275/45R20 Continental DWS All Seasons. People told me "don't buy all seasons, you're an idiot".

I drove through more snow, slush, cold and wind this past weekend than I may ever face in the future. Confidence +100 on the all seasons.

Downingtown, PA - 28.5"

I also found out that when I turn my heat to "HI" setting on the driver side, my steering wheel is heated.... never knew that until Friday night! The car that keeps on giving...

PM sent regarding your earlier sale.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:29 AM
Porsche_Turbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People underestimate the Cayenne's abilities, thinking it's just a sports SUV.
I was out in the NY blizzard with over 20" of snow and had no problems. Had the suspension raised to max. At one point I had to go make tracks with the Cayenne for a Honda Pilot to enter our dead end street. :-)
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2016, 01:39 PM
Torre
Racer

Originally Posted by BlackTurboS
I'm on 275/45R20 Continental DWS All Seasons. People told me "don't buy all seasons, you're an idiot".
I guess it depends a lot on the conditions. On snow I find that all seasons are pretty good, but on icy roads with a light snow cover or in salted slushy snow I often end up with the ABS crunching even during light breaking, or the car loosing front end grip like by the flick of a switch mid corner. I'm on new Pirelli Scorpion Zero M+S's.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:48 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep - DWS's are great for most conditions, but ice, steep and snowy roads, or high speed slush is where they give up the beans. For most people that live where snow is occasional, even if deep, they're perfectly fine. Even out here in Colorado, I *could* drive with DWS tires year round if I were careful.

Quick Reply: Cayenne in snow