Sponsored by:

Advice on cayenne 4.5 V8 non turbo 2005

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 12:21 PM
Neil0163
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on cayenne 4.5 V8 non turbo 2005

Good afternoon all merry Christmas, I'm new to this place so please forgive me. Anyway, I've found a porsche cayenne 2005 model for sale at £6000 in the UK it's covered 89000 miles and has Full service history, I went to take a look at the car and it's in quite good condition, I've been doing some research and understand the coolant pipes need to be changed from the plastic ones to the metal aluminium ones which this has had done, the owner spent £1000 in September on the last service and a further £800 on tyres which I have seen the paper work for, he took me for a drive in it and it was fast and responsive I couldn't hear any funny noises from the engine or knocks of any kind, my questions are what should I be looking for? The screen in the center of the dash is broke its just a white light is this an easy fix or costly repair im quite a handy DIYer but not a expirenced mechanic/electrican. Are there any other problems that you guys know the cayenne suffer with especially this year (2005) and going from what ive told you guys what are your thoughts, all information is very much appreciated and I thank you all for your response.
Kind regards*
Neil
Old 12-25-2015, 02:33 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

There are a few "known issues", none particular to the 05. Coolant pipes (covered) cardan shaft, coil packs, lower control arms, air compressor (air suspension), water pump, fuel pumps and a few more.

With the "screen in the center of the dash", are you referring to the PCM (radio/nav unit) or the Mulit-Purpose display in the instrument cluster? If it's the cluster, that is a fairly straight forward fix. I don't know about the PCM.

Were the coolant pipes done preventatively or after failure? That's important. If they failed, then the starter was doused in coolant and will fail sooner or later (not a whole lot later). The coolant probably went down the back of the motor and doused the input shaft on the trans. This will dry to a "crusty" residue that has a nasty tendency to chew up the torque converter seal. The trans needs to be dropped to fix that.

To be honest, this is a pretty common question. So are most of the known issues. Skim through the first few pages of the forum and read threads that catch your eye. The "warranty list" sticky gives a good idea of what goes wrong.

And here is the last "should I get one" thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...r-9-000-a.html

It covers your questions fairly well.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:49 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

If the OP is talking about the PCM it can be just the display and can be DIY replaced if they're adventuresome.

OTOH - I chose to have Becker fix my 2011 unit as I wanted to remain stock instead of installing an aftermarket unit.. They charge a flat fee which varies based on the year/version and the turnaround time wasn't bad.

Quick Reply: Advice on cayenne 4.5 V8 non turbo 2005