Sponsored by:

Surround View Camera - Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 11:40 PM
tigger1197
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Surround View Camera - Aftermarket

Ok so I am trying to finalize my 2016 CS build. One thing that is stumping me is what to do about the head unit. The current PCM 3.1, for lack of a better term, sucks. I do not want to wait another few months for a 2017 build to get the new upgrade, rumored so I have heard. I am thinking about aftermarket upgrades since they are almost always better than the factory modules. My question is about getting the surround view option on the car. Are there any aftermarket head units that will accept the wiring for the extra cameras? Also are the inputs on the cameras just normal RCA connectors or are they just as annoying as the Bose system?

I don't want to get the surround view cameras on the car just to find out any aftermarket option will never be able to use it.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:26 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I had not known of the surround feature until I got an Audi loaner. It is amazing! Real nice in checking clearance when parking. I hope there is an after market option as the OP is asking about.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:23 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nissan have the best ones and the qashqai has the best I have seen

save a bundle also
Old 12-16-2015, 09:48 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

The PCM in the new Cayenne's is a complex integration with the dash instruments. Fiber optic cables and such. I would not order a car without it. I don't think in the long run you will be happy. Good Luck
If you do decide to do something after market let us know how that goes!
Old 12-17-2015, 12:29 PM
tigger1197
Instructor

I didn't think you could order a car with out it and I wasn't planning on it. I am just looking for options to change out the head unit down the road since I am not waiting for the new one to become available in the next model year. Which is supposed to be much better
Old 12-17-2015, 05:42 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Originally Posted by tigger1197
I didn't think you could order a car with out it and I wasn't planning on it. I am just looking for options to change out the head unit down the road since I am not waiting for the new one to become available in the next model year. Which is supposed to be much better
I understand but I think you will find that this is not just a simple head but a complex integration with other systems in the car. There is a special amplifier and antenna for the radio in the rear spoiler for instance. The dash instruments and the PCM talk to each other. The controls on the steering wheel are also involved.
It is unlikely that a new Head would be being compatible with your systems as it's hardware and software would be configured for different stuff! If you take the PCM out of the car I'm not sure your dash instruments would light up. I'm no expert inn this area I just know enough to be dangerous.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:18 PM
tigger1197
Instructor

The steering wheel controls I don't see as much of a problem as there are several companies that make gizmos for that. All aftermarket head units have wiring harnesses for the factory wiring that makes it easy to attach a new head unit and use all the antennas and what not on the car. The Bose system is the problem as it uses fiber optic lines and you have to convert the signal to be able to talk to the speakers. I am not getting the Bose option for that reason and some others. From what I have seen the dash instruments are controlled by the ECU not the PCM so it should not be a problem with that. The happy integration will be missing tho.

Quick Reply: Surround View Camera - Aftermarket