Normal?: 2011 958 Cayenne Turbo 8 speed transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 10:51 PM
Lve2xlr8
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Normal?: 2011 958 Cayenne Turbo 8 speed transmission

Hello,

I picked up a 2011 Cayenne turbo a couple weeks ago and I'm trying to determine if this is normal behavior for the 8 speed auto. It seems that the torque converter doesn't quite lock immediately in third gear. The dealer says this is normal, and perhaps it is since the car has 8 forward gears. I'm pushing the accelerator a bit on the upshift to exaggerate what's happening. At full throttle, high rpm shifts, this doesn't occur.

Thanks for your time!

Old 12-14-2015, 11:30 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Well with the radio playing, I'm assuming you want us only to look at the rpm modulations while in gear and in between shifts. Cuz I can't actually hear anything to help with this cause/question.

It's really hard to see that the upshift from 2nd to 3rd does not "lock in" as you say.

I have the same vehicle and although I do experience strange torque converter clunks every so often when moving around in my driveway, I do not see it as concerning.

Maybe someday for the Cayenne, they will figure out how to keep some degree of towing capacity (even if it has to drop by a couple hundred pounds or so),.. to put the PDK in this machine. Cuz I gotta say, shifts in this CTT do leave me slightly disappointed when I really want to git-on-it.

I can see it now,... I'm gonna have to get rid of my stock exhaust system just to enhance that gurgle between shifts. That outta do it. Now to go convince the wife. Hmmm, I'll need some more silver bullets (no PDK is not gonna do it).

Quick Reply: Normal?: 2011 958 Cayenne Turbo 8 speed transmission