Weirdest Thing... Radio cuts out after re-fueling

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 11:12 AM
BlackTurboS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weirdest Thing... Radio cuts out after re-fueling

Hi Guys,

After exhausting my own research I wanted to bounce this off you guys. I would say after 3 out of the last 10 fuel ups, I close the gas cap, hop in the car, and fire it up. No issues with startup. I then turn my radio back on (after it was previously fine before refueling) and all I hear is muffled bass... No vocals, no mids, just muffled bass as if I was under water.

I cannot tie this back to anything I am doing. The weird thing is, I'll let the car sit and later this afternoon after work I will fire the car up and most likely the radio will be fine again. I can't figure it out. Anyone else experience anything like this or have any suggestions?? I didn't use my rear wiper wash, didn't wash the window with the gas station cleaner thing, so there is no fluid getting into my amp... I cannot figure this out!?!??!

I checked all inputs as well and its across all inputs (AUX, FM, AM, DISC) so that tells me it is systematic and not caused by the source.

Any thoughts or suggestions is appreciated.

I also tried driving in circles, twisting around three times, and honking the horn 3 times (just kidding... some of the solutions to fix things are funny...)

- BlackTurboS
Old 11-23-2015, 01:20 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I doubt it's related to fueling, and likely related to the short amount of time the car is off between starts.

Sounds like there is an issue with the amp or head unit. Couldn't begin to point you in the right direction for that, but it's unlikely that putting gas in the car is the culprit.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:42 PM
rt1150m3
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio

BlackTurbo......interesting in that I had the exact same thing happen to my 2010 Cayenne S today. Had stopped for gas after a 3 hour drive and only heard the muffled bass from the back seat after refueling. After parking it for about 2 hours, it worked fine. Nothing different during the fuel stop, although it was cold outside (about 25 degrees) and had been driven in the snow.

Good luck and maybe we can figure it out.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:47 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

BlackTurboS - Looked at your profile, and from side pics I have hard time telling diff between 955-7's. Don't know what year yours is.
Might be a good idea to tell folks here what kind of sound system you have in your TurboS.

I'm writing because I have a issue that is kinda like what you describe, but I have a 958 with Burmester. My issue happens at the same time as yours (5 minute shutdowns for gas fillup, or other).

But mine appears to be related to the USB port & iPhone. If I connect via Bluetooth it works fine during multiple stops/starts & short stays. But if I use the USB port (which is the nicest way to hook up, since I can then use the PCM screen to scroll around in my PlayLists, etc to find the music I want), upon re-starting after a short stop, it gets confused & will not play anything. Although I do not get a low muffled bass you guys are talking about.

Our problems are most likely completely unrelated. But thought I would mention it, so you can provide more data, & hopefully get more analysis in return.

=Steve
Old 12-18-2015, 10:36 AM
softright
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same here yesterday

2015 S ran into grocery store yesterday for 15 minutes. Radio was playing fine beforehand. When I came back out nothing and in fact the system appeared to be stuck in AUX input mode even though there was no jack plugged in. Could not change input. This morning everything back to normal.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:40 PM
TheWonderWeazel
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackTurboS
Hi Guys,

After exhausting my own research I wanted to bounce this off you guys. I would say after 3 out of the last 10 fuel ups, I close the gas cap, hop in the car, and fire it up. No issues with startup. I then turn my radio back on (after it was previously fine before refueling) and all I hear is muffled bass... No vocals, no mids, just muffled bass as if I was under water.

I cannot tie this back to anything I am doing. The weird thing is, I'll let the car sit and later this afternoon after work I will fire the car up and most likely the radio will be fine again. I can't figure it out. Anyone else experience anything like this or have any suggestions?? I didn't use my rear wiper wash, didn't wash the window with the gas station cleaner thing, so there is no fluid getting into my amp... I cannot figure this out!?!??!

I checked all inputs as well and its across all inputs (AUX, FM, AM, DISC) so that tells me it is systematic and not caused by the source.

Any thoughts or suggestions is appreciated.

I also tried driving in circles, twisting around three times, and honking the horn 3 times (just kidding... some of the solutions to fix things are funny...)

- BlackTurboS
BlackTurboS, did you ever find a solution to this issue? I just purchased a 10 CGTS and it’s got the same issue. No treble or mids, just the underwater base.

Quick Reply: Weirdest Thing... Radio cuts out after re-fueling