Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Cayenne water leak resolved - developing issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 10:36 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2012 Cayenne water leak resolved - developing issue?

Picked up a CPO 2012 V6 two weeks ago. Driving home I heard a water sloshing sound. Quick Rennlist search suggested clogged drains - the usual culprits. Then I noticed the passenger side floor was wet. Took it to dealer the next day, where they diagnosed a failed factory sealant along the passenger side cowl at the intersection of three seams. They had seen this once before. Apparently a robot is failing to fully fill the seam.

Dealer had to send the car to a body shop. I saw the bill, $1,100 mostly for labor. Nearly the whole front body assembly had to come off; bumper, headlights, etc., to apply $30 worth of goo. This price did not include the dealer work, which was easily 4-5 hours. All told I suspect the total was about two grand. All covered of course, with a Boxster S loaner car for the duration (no, that was not me doing charity laps at VIR, honest).

Here's the kicker - same dealer just found the same problem in another CPO Cayenne! Service manager's theory is the leak starts if the car is parked outside for an extended time, like on a sales lot. It has rained quite a lot in NC this fall so this is not unreasonable, and my car shows no evidence that this had been a long-term problem.

So the moral of the story: if you hear water sloshing about in your second gen Cayenne, get it checked fast. Bad robot!

Have any other '11-'15 owners seen/had this problem?

Last edited by rpm's S2; 11-21-2015 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:19 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

And now the water pump goes. At only 42K.

Maybe my Cayenne just doesn't like water.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:32 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
Then I noticed the passenger side floor was wet. Took it to dealer the next day, where they diagnosed a failed factory sealant along the passenger side cowl at the intersection of three seams. They had seen this once before. Apparently a robot is failing to fully fill the seam.
I had a similar problem I just solved on my '05 Touareg, except my failed seal was in the cowl area on the drivers side and looks like an isolated f*ckup from the factory. Or maybe there are more out there?

It was a b*tch to figure out where the leak was and to get too, but eventually with a generous amount of PF-207 Rubber able to seal it all up.
It solved all my electrical gremlins and battery drains.

Good luck with the water pump, I did the timing belt a while back and included a new water pump as part of the repair kit. Is your engine chain or timing belt?
Old 12-14-2015, 06:50 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Originally Posted by jo-hans
Good luck with the water pump, I did the timing belt a while back and included a new water pump as part of the repair kit. Is your engine chain or timing belt?
CPO
Old 08-13-2022, 04:06 PM
vntperformance
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

So my sunroof drains are clear on my 16 CD but after a heavy heavy rain a week ago (my cd has been sitting in the same spot for 2 weeks); I noticed under the carpet, the padding is wet & the floor board has water.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: 2012 Cayenne water leak resolved - developing issue?